• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cryostasis : The Sleep of Reason

Yeah the framerate in the video does seem to drop drastically at a few points - fingers crossed none of that makes it into the game. I really hope the storytelling method pays off - there are some nice new ideas they've tried to implement.

Off Topic : Don't call it "Russian Bioshock"! People will get the impression Bioshock is some sort of benchmark - not a very shiny (and granted, very entertaining) dumbed down transplant of an older, better game.

Upvote 0
Off Topic : Don't call it "Russian Bioshock"! People will get the impression Bioshock is some sort of benchmark - not a very shiny (and granted, very entertaining) dumbed down transplant of an older, better game.

But that is exactly what it looks like!

Even the only music they have is in the Bioshock style

Upvote 0

I'm not about to disagree with that, Bioshock was just SS2 with a pinch of Fallout, DeusEx and a lobotomy, i certainly don't view it as a benchmark.

But still, the visual style looks very Bioshock, and besides, thease days, if it's ripping off anything, it'll be Bioshock (here's hopeing the similarities are only skin deep though, i would love for this to be a better game!).

Upvote 0
Anybody got the game already? How is it?

From what I gather, it's a let down...
My favourite game magazine rated it 2 out of 10
(To put it into perspective, they rated DOW2 multiplayer 8, Men of war 7 and Operation Anchorage 0 out of 10 in the same issue :p )
Too bad, a bioshock with Nagants, SVTs and Papashas would have been kinda cool :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cryostasis is a brave, fascinating, often very beautiful game, but I find it impossible to recommend it - and not least because it runs like an exploded dog on most PCs. It's not quite creative enough - its environments fall into a monotony of samey rooms and bulkheads - and its combat is too clunky to be delicious. I'm certain that this is a game that some gamers will tuck into heartily, and happily. The ugly truth of the meal, however, is that's it's still frozen in the middle.
Eurogamers summation. I've got it preordered from play.com and it doesn't come out until the 27th.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eurogamer were right - the game is poorly optimised, and on occasions when enemies break out my framerate dips an awful lot. The engine itself unfortunately doesn't support multithreading. Madness I tell you.

The atmosphere and general feel of things so far are excellent. The game just looks cold. It builds a nice feeling as you slowly make your way around the various rooms of the ship, watching your breath in regular rhythm. What I've seen of the story and the use of the flashbacks I'm really enjoying.

The combat feels a bit like an after-thought. I've so far only been involved in fist fights - and they aren't awful - but they certainly aren't as comfortable as say, The Chronicles of Riddick.

So far the game feels a lot like Penumbra, to those who haven't played Penumbra - it's a first person adventure/puzzle game based on Greenland. There's very little combat in the classic fps style, and the emphasis is generally on making me poop my pants.

I'll give a proper summation of thoughts once I've finished.

Upvote 0
This is getting a bit frustrating, there's lots of really cool game ideas coming out of Russia/Ex-Com-block lately, that actually try some different and new things, but somehow they allways seem to trip over their own feet just before the finish line, and end up mired in bad optimization and missing/badly implimented features, probably as a result of unrealistic deadlines..

So clouse, but just not quite there.. you feel like the Donkey chasing the carrot on the string.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's a shame - but not a surprise. Cryostasis (from a development pov) reminds me of Boiling Point (note the 3 reviews by one reviewer present in the link), which was the same as STALKER in many ways, but it had far more freedom and actual seamless loading throughout the game world - and far more bugs and much worse optimisation.

There are some excellent ideas and mechanics presented in Cryostasis begging for a better implementation.

Action Forms (the developer of Cryostasis) don't have a history of quality development - they've released six titles since 1997, and the other five I have never heard of. I wonder how they got Cryostasis noticed initally...and I wish the industry on a whole would stop being so self preserving and take chances on new things a lot more often.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looked like a very promising game when I first heard of it but reading reviews online and reading what you said here makes me kind of sad that they messed up the game.
Just like Sheep said, Boiling point had great ideas also but they just didn't use them / made it unplayable with not fixing bugs and having a crappy overall performance.

Upvote 0
Yeah I wonder what Cryostasis would be like if, for example, it was created around the Unreal 3 engine. It would have been an excellent title no question.
But alas, no-name development studios will struggle to get the casheesh for a licence - and of course if it's a title with a few odd ideas no one with backing enough will likely stump up the money due to the commercial risk involved. And it's a real shame because a great deal of the artwork present in it is truly outstanding.

As for Boiling Point, it's a similar story - I was very surprised when Atari picked the title up.
I started playing it again recently - it ran like a dog on every system I've had since 2005 when it came out. My current rig however is up to the task and it finally runs well enough for me to commit long periods of time to it. I haven't run into any of the really stupid bugs yet, the EU "2.0" patch seems to have repaired quite a few of them. There are other bugs but you just have to play around them, they don't disrupt the play enough to break it. I don't mind things a little rough around the edges if the experience on the whole is an interesting one.

Current Setup
AMD 9750 Phenom X4
4GB DDR800
Sapphire ATi 4850 Toxic

Upvote 0