• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Cryostasis out this month! Have to see this!

Innociv

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2006
Okay the graphics aren't awe-inspiring technically. It's pretty much 5 year old tech. Similar polycounts and textures to UE2.5 games, but there is bump mapping, good lighting, and nice post-processing.

What makes it good is how they NAILED the atmosphere. Amazing artistry work.
The atmosphere is just so perfect. So amazing.

It's like.. the real spiritual successor to System Shock.. Bioshock done right.

Gametrailers.com - Cryostasis: The Sleep Of Reason - GC 2008: Trailer

Man I wish KF looked like this with the lighting, fog, and post processing, other effects. D:

Gametrailers.com - Cryostasis: The Sleep Of Reason - Blood Glove Trailer

Last edited:
Bleh yeah I just looked at the first page. I figured there was maybe a thread about it a long time ago when it was announced, or the 2008 trailers, not just last month. So i figured, new thread time since it's almost out. :p

And the graphics look just okay. Polycounts are low, but everything has normal maps and nice lighting. Sorta like doom3 really. It's more the artistry and post processing that is making it look so nice than the technical aspect.

How have you heard mixed reactions about the gameplay though?.. Who has played it to give reactions?

Upvote 0
The ex-boyfriend of my sister actually worked on that game! :D
Nice! She needs to get back with him. :p You can get that game for real cheap now, and it's actually a solid game. Your AI buddies might be infected, but you don't know, and they could turn on you at any time. You can make them do the infamous blood test, but they may get really pissed at you if they're not infected. So fun! I might have to reinstall.

Anyway, back on topic.

Upvote 0
In other news, I imported this thing because I got overly excited by this thread. I just love games like this. I'm especially sucked in by the setting of the Arctic. Very cool, and unique, especially if you've read "The Terror", a great novel by Dan Simmons.

Haven't played an awful lot yet, maybe an hour, but it's very cool how you see other people's memories and such. Graphics are good, but you can tell they are a couple of years old. Some textures are just not very detailed (your hands/gloves), but it doesn't matter. The atmosphere is really neat with ice crystals on everything! Brrr!! Sometimes a room will warm up and the ice on the walls will gradually melt and turn into water, the shader effect is pretty impressive!

Performance is great and runs smooth as silk with all settings cranked on my rig.

Thanks for posting about this game, Innociv, even if it has been out for a couple of years overseas. I had never heard of it and I'm really enjoying it so far!

Last edited:
Upvote 0