• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crossperk Perks (with examples: Engineer, Brute)

TheWaywardKid

Jul 6, 2018
Hello, all! New year, new ideas!

I'd like to introduce the idea of “Cross-Perk Perks”: New Perk classes which wouldn't come with their own unique weapons but instead would take select assortments of current weapons and cross-perk them in new, unique ways. Not only would “CrossPerks” allow for new character classes without nearly as much investment from the developer (making them far more likely to happen), but they could potentially be used to shed fresh light on some of the game's lesser-appreciated weaponry. Further – and as much as I hate to say it – by using them to “remix” old weapon content (most of which would be “lesser-used” content at that) it would make CrossPerks a very viable idea for potential DLC.

I have included two fully-detailed CrossPerk concepts below, whom I've titled the “Engineer” and the “Brute”! As with all of my concepts, please take my numerical values as rough estimates regarding how effective I imagine they should be. (I have not nitpicked gun numerical values, damage types, enemy weaknesses, and damage thresholds. That would need to be done with testing.) Please enjoy, and feel free to comment what you think!

(If you are interested in more of my gameplay ideas, check out my current iteration of my Survivalist rework or my Tier 5 Shotgun!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- [ENGINEER] ---

ON-PERK WEAPON LIST:
HX25 Grenade Pistol
HRG Winterbite
Dual HRG Winterbites
VLAD-1000 Nailgun
Pulverizer
Hemogoblin
Static Strikers
Husk Cannon

MAXIMUM PASSIVE BONUSES:
Heavy Body Armor
50% Welding Proficiency
20% Perk Weapon Pulse Damage*
Trap Welded Doors with Radiation

*The extra perk weapon damage is converted to the “microwave” damage type and is released as a small-radius “pulse” from the damaged ZED, damaging the ZED for the full amount and quickly decaying towards the outside. (Pulses have no force and are invisible.)

Doors trapped with Radiation constantly deal a tiny amount of microwave damage to ZEDs standing next to it. Keeping a door from breaking for as long as possible will maximize this skill's potential.

STARTING LOADOUT:
HX25 Grenade Pistol
9mm Pistol
Wrench
Sonic Mines**

**Sonic Mines release blue sonic waves for a period of time. Unlike a Siren's red scream, Sonic Mines do not cancel projectiles nor do they hurt players. ZEDs are slightly slowed and take continual microwave damage while within the radius of a Sonic Mine.

EXPERIENCE [5]:
[Practiced Hands:] Increase reload speed with perk weapons. Increase melee swing speed by 20% for perk melee weapons.
[Advanced Technology:] Healing also repairs armor. The more armor you have the faster you move, up to a 15% bonus.

TOOL USE [10]:
[Organized:] Gain 50% faster weapon swap speed.
[Depressurization:] Reloading causes a small shockwave with high stumble chance but no damage.

AUDIO SYSTEM [15]:
[Surround Sound:] Carry 2 more Sonic Mines. Your Sonic Mines last 50% longer.
[High Amplitude:] Your Sonic Mines gain 75% larger radius and are immune to Sirens.

EXPERIMENTAL TECH [20]:
[Heavy Hitter:] Perk weapons are 50% stronger with 50% larger pulse radius at the cost of 30% slower Rate Of Fire and 20% reduced Magazine Size.
[Tesla Armor:] While you have armor, receiving melee damage has a 10% chance to EMP the attacker and deal a small amount of damage. The chance is increased by 15% if blocking, and totals 50% on a successful parry.

MECHANICAL ASSISTANCE [25]:
[ZED TIME - Automation:] When ZED Time is triggered, all weapons are instantly reloaded. Additionally, both your welder and your medical syringe are refreshed and you swap weapons in real time.
[ZED TIME – Nanobot Swarm:] When ZED Time is triggered, release a massive shockwave of nanobots that repair welded doors and restore a small amount of ally armor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- [BRUTE] ---

ON-PERK WEAPON LIST:
Caulk n' Burn
Tommy Gun
Dragonsbreath
Fire Axe
Road Redeemer
Seal Squeal
Stoner 63A LMG
Seeker Six

MAXIMUM PASSIVE BONUSES:
+200% Magazine Size
25% increased Bullet Spread
+100% Perk Weapon and 9mm Bullet Penetration
Clots Cannot Grab You

Note that it is added penetration, not multiplied. The additional effective penetration will be less meaningful to weapons that already penetrate targets, but will be more meaningful to weapons that previously could not penetrate. (Only affects ballistic weapons.)

STARTING LOADOUT:
Caulk n' Burn
9mm Pistol
Brass Knuckles
Bully Bombs ††

††Bully Bombs have a massive radius, yet do no damage. Instead, they have massive knockdown power and they make ZEDs more vulnerable to all sources of damage for a few seconds.

TEMPERAMENT [5]:
[Slugger:] Increase Damage and Rate Of Fire for bashing with perk weapons by 50% each. Bashing has high knockdown power.
[Bloodthirsty:] Heal yourself 1 point of Health for every ZED you kill with perk weapons and heal 5 points of Health with melee perk weapons.

DEFENSE [10]:
[Sentry:] Carry 50% more ammo for perk weapons and increase maximum carrying capacity by 1 at the cost of 5% slower movement speed.
[Bastion:] Maximum Armor is increased by 75%. Gain 50% Bullet Resistance.

VIOLENCE [15]:
[Spray then Pray:] Rate Of Fire for perk weapons is increased by 50% at the cost of 30% slower reload time.
[Pesticide:] Perk weapons can also poison ZEDs, inflicting damage over time. Poisoned ZEDs are also slowed 10% for a few seconds.

BRUTALITY [20]:
[Point Blank:] Increase Perk Weapon Damage the closer you are to the target ZED by up to 50%.
[Swiss Cheese:] Deal 25% increased damage to the bodies of ZEDs. Kills caused by body shots will obliterate ZEDs.

CARNAGE [25]:
[ZED TIME – Flak Monkey:] During ZED Time, your Perk Weapons fire 3x faster and your bullets ricochet.
[ZED TIME – Level the Field:] During ZED Time, throwing Bully Bombs does not consume or require ammo and you may throw Bully Bombs at full speed.