• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crossfire or SLi support for RO:HoS?

BooBoo

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2006
Australia
UT 2.5 does not support Crossfire or SLi and therefore doesn't play well at all with 2 cards.As for UT3 its a mixed bag depending on the game.AA3 shows no difference in performance yet BIA:Hells Highway does show a big difference.
Anyone else try any other UT3 games and notice any performance difference?
So my question to the devs is,will RO:HoS be optimized for Crossfire and SLi?
That I suppose will mean working with ATI and Nvidia on their drivers.

I honestly don't see it happening as Sli and Crossfire are both obsolete technologies. The whole reason dual graphics cards technology was developed was because single card technology was not enough to handle the recent boom in high demanding games graphics wise.

But now single cards can easily handle the new games coming out (if you haven't noticed, the 360 for example only has one card in it but multiple cpu's). So why pay more for 2 cards when you could pay less for one that performs just as well? It's a dying technology so I predict it won't be in future games for very much longer. It'd also cost TWI more money for the rights to support it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
crossfire and sli although maybe not in this form are part of the future of gaming. Even now if you got a big monitor for the newest games to run things all out you need multiple videocards.

As long as you can boost performance by adding another will always cause people to want it. As as long as game makers try to make their games to be able to still scale up towards the future, by making good looking but highly inefficient features, there will always be a need for faster GPU's as long as pc gaming is alive.

Especially when scaling of tech like crossfire and sli gets better (maybe google lucid hydra for some joy), it will probably even begin to get used more in the midend as well.

Im not really a fan of dual card technologies myself primarily due to cruddy driver support and bad scaling, but those things will change in the future.
Look at most modern consumer motherboards almost all already feature multiple pcie x16 slots or x8 slots.

SLI and Crossfire technology won't cost TWI a dime as they cannot do anything special to implement it as the profiles are generally added in drivers, and renaming ROHOS.exe to the UT3 name will probably cause both to work already.
For that reason it would be nice to send out some beta keys to nvidia and ati testers as they can report and get some driver issues possibly fixed in a driver release before the game hits retail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly don't see it happening as Sli and Crossfire are both obsolete technologies. The whole reason dual graphics cards technology was developed was because single card technology was not enough to handle the recent boom in high demanding games graphics wise.

But now single cards can easily handle the new games coming out (if you haven't noticed, the 360 for example only has one card in it but multiple cpu's). So why pay more for 2 cards when you could pay less for one that performs just as well? It's a dying technology so I predict it won't be in future games for very much longer. It'd also cost TWI more money for the rights to support it.
Well, it seems multi-GPU settings will actually be the future.

Take for instance Intel Larrabee, which will be a many-core system.
Or PowerVR, which is scaled in performance by how many GPU's are used.
It is rumored AMD will use the same strategy as PowerVR, which they have a single RV800 series chip.
A single chip will be used by low-end hardware, where a combination of more chips will form mid- and high-end hardware.

DirectX 11 should finally be a native multi-GPU API. Hopefully DirectX 11 will be an available API in one of the constant updates of Unreal Engine 3.

Upvote 0
Well, it seems multi-GPU settings will actually be the future.

Take for instance Intel Larrabee, which will be a many-core system.
Or PowerVR, which is scaled in performance by how many GPU's are used.
It is rumored AMD will use the same strategy as PowerVR, which they have a single RV800 series chip.
A single chip will be used by low-end hardware, where a combination of more chips will form mid- and high-end hardware.

DirectX 11 should finally be a native multi-GPU API. Hopefully DirectX 11 will be an available API in one of the constant updates of Unreal Engine 3.

It's debatable. I foresee future cards being too expensive for people to buy two of AND a beefy enough mobo and psu to support them. That's just my two cents.

Upvote 0
wow. cooling issues ahoy. :eek:
Depends on the lithographics sizes, core voltage and clockspeeds.
I don't think computer hardware will be pushed too far again, I don't think it will ever be worse then the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra and the Pentium 4. ;)
The newer AMD Evergreen seems to run cooler then the current RV700 series minus the RV740.

We're still stuck to the ancient ATX layout, the "cooler" BTX layout should have been standardized.
All these little things contribute to the excessive heat production and lack of dissipation of computer hardware.

Upvote 0
I'm about to buy a new GFX card myself, so I sure would like to know wether to buy two medium cards (ex. 2x HD6970's) or just one big one (ex. 1x HD6990).

I'd go for one card. Just look at the amount of "why is my performance so bad in XXX with crossfire/sli" threads in tech forums. Also, you have stuff like microstuttering and whatnot. CF might give you a bit more value for your money, but IMO it's not worth the hassle.

Also, if you want extra performance in a couple of years you can always buy another 6990 when they cheap.

EDIT: Oh, you probably meant for ROHOS. Forgot I was in the hoes forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reality is the majority of gamers still use crap pcs with hair dryers for GPUs. They cannot afford single card GPU solution especially as it normally requires a total pc upgrade. However it's a lot easier to get a second card off eBay. For example adding another 460 gives a massive boost and all for $100 or so.

Just have a look at the Valve PC survey stats. Sadly its the 1% minority who have i7 CPUs and 580 GPUs.

Upvote 0
I personally prefer single gfx card set ups. Instead of dishing money for two, just buy yourself a real beefy card like the gtx 580 superclock once and be done with it until the next generation, or one after that.

Hell, the 4870 512MB in my desktop still keeps up with just about everything I want it to do. For the few things that it really lags on ... there's the second 4870 in CF.

'course, I did need a 1kW PSU ... and now I can't afford to pay my light bill if I run that machine for more than a few hours a month ...

Upvote 0