• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crewed tanks should have a HUGE advantage

Yay my computer is fixed, so now I'm back at last.

All I want to say on the subject is:
  • Single manned tanks SHOULD suck ass, but don't.
  • I hate bots as drivers in a tank because they always do retarded things even when all I tell them to do is drive straight. Human players 7/10 are far more skilled (but not always).
  • If you tried switching position in a slowing tank switching between 2 positions you would find it extremely hard because of the amount of weight moving forward.
  • Simply boosting relod times is stupid because it is not realistic, to be honest reload times should only differ if there is a machine gunner + commander because he is in the only position (in game terms) that would be able to help.
  • A tanker would not be able to switch straight to another job in the tank because they would not have been trained properly in that field of work. There would need to be several classes of tankers, eg driver, gunner, commanders, who would only be able to do that job effectively without severe penalties.

Upvote 0
Brad, it seems you are having a hard time understanding what I and hos are trying to tell you.

No, I understand your arguments. I just don't think they are justified or strong enough.

Let me be very clear about this: MOST of us are lone tankers and we DO NOT want the game changed.

I agree with the first part. Most people play lone-tanking more often than not. That's because it's convenient and there is no real incentive to TT. I disagree about the not wanting change, as you'll see from the multiple polls up now. The majority supports changes.

You want the majority of ROOST players to "learning to deal with the change in gameplay"??

Absolutely. I want people to learn how to team tank, to operate with a crew. Is that too much to ask? Is that draconian of me? Ask other people what they think. You and hos seem to be the only ones trying to provide arguments here, and hos' are barely legit arguments to boot.

You say that LTing "detracts from the realism". Would you prefer 100% realism at the cost of killing this game?

Oh my sweet merciful god. Drop that argument, I've addressed it umpteen times already. I DON'T WANT 100% REALISM because it's NOT POSSIBLE and NOT FEASIBLE IN A GAME. I want the realistic experience of operating a tank with other crewmates. I don't want to see a loader or radio-operater position because those don't translate well into the game.

Most of us think the game is fine as is

Polls suggest otherwise.

As I have said before. Most LTs are good people and they do not deserve this animosity.

Fine, sure. I'm not displaying any animosity towards LTers, I'm simply trying to change things so that TTing is more prevalent. I don't care if you think there's some huge bias or anti-LTing stereotype floating around, because it has nothing to do with the arguments I'm making.

Solo tanker DO DO TEAMWORK with each other sot he teamwork argument does not hold water.

Yes, they use teamwork. But they lack the inter-crew teamwork that I want to see more of. I have never argued that LTing is the absence of all teamwork, it is simply the absence of crewmate teamwork which I believe is extremely important.

Upvote 0
-MM!!-Lazarus said:
You see, Im Danish and living in Sweden. In a couple of generations so will the rest of the inhabitants be. :D
And its "utrymme" in Swedish.
So the invasion allready started? :D:D:D
Oh and I heard about Danish living and working in Sweden. Thanks to the bridge they finished a few years ago (also part of the big invasion plans right?;))

P.S. Which country (Denmark or Sweden) has the prettier blondes?

Upvote 0
Make it a Server Option

Make it a Server Option

Make the mandatory crewing or not an option a server can use or not use. Then let the customer go where he wants. I like to crew on a tank more than being alone. Most of time, you work with some good folks and have alot of fun and are more realistic. At the same time, I have jumped on board a tank with some real assholes who behave like spoiled kids insulting you on "their" tank. I usually just jump out and either find another crew or a tank to use on my own. So, it is not always so black and white on lone tank or crew tank decision. So let it be a server option is my opinion.

Upvote 0
COngrats on # 7! I have a 4 year old daughter and another child on the way but it is 2 and out for us. The wife is goign to send me to the same vet that took care of our dog...

On the subject of tankers...

I prefer to team tank. I understand that it is not always feasible. Not everybody wants to tank or team up and they should not be forced. You must suspend disbelief to play any game like this. Sure, someone could not man all the positions of one tank. I prefer to just assume the vehicle is under manned and limited in its capabilities. I would like to see a delay instituted for boarding, exiting or changing seats in the tank. That would even up things enough in my opinion.

On some maps I really prefer Lone Tankers. I especially like it on Konigsplatz when I am a German Pak-Soldat! As soon as you realize that tank has only one person in it, and that is pretty easy after watching it, it becomes much easier to kill. If there were at least a driver and gunner I would have to be careful approaching the front because the driver woudl get on the MG and kill me. But with only one person, and the turret turned the other way I can run right up to the tank and around its side to either toss a satchel on its deck or PF it. I als like that when shooting LTs from long range with a PF I know they will not be able to react fast enough to escape my 2nd and 3rd shots. At 80+ meters the firts PF often misses (50%). Based on where it lands though I can adjust fire and land them right on top of the tank. If there were a driver and gunner that would be much harder. With just a gunner though it is a sitting duck.

Upvote 0
Just to throw some more weight into the thread :)

Solo tanking strikes me as counter to the intention of the game - realism.

Implementing a substantial delay into moving between positions in the tank should be sufficient to discourage this, maybe 5-10 seconds. An animation to go with it would be a bonus, but not strictly necessary - a 'movement progress bar' would be enough, so you know it was happening. I'm sure all this has been said in the thread already, I'm just casting my 'vote' :rolleyes:

Similarly I think a delay in entering and exiting the vehicle would be good for realism.

Upvote 0
I support this thread.

Don't know if it was mentioned, but it would also be good if kills made from any vehicle were displayed in the top-right coner as vehicle-made kills, not just gunner-made kills. Something like "T-34/85#505 killed Otto".

Right now driver gets no credit for gunner kills and it's just sad, sad, sad... It discourages people to fight together.

Upvote 0