• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crewed tanks should have a HUGE advantage

jmz768

Apr 14, 2006
I am seeing a lot of people manning tanks alone and still being pretty succussful. The problem is that it's to easy to switch positions in the tank. I think that there should be some sort of delay in switching positions. A crewed tank should have more of an advantage than it currently does.

You need the ability to hand over control to other positions in your tank to AI players that spawn in the tank and die in it/ dissapear when you leave it.

These AI would of course have to follow your commands and be good at what you do.

How's it fair, that even if you somehow got every tank with 3 people in it, but you are the last one left over and theres 1 tank left but no extra people for you? you've got to get into this tank and do it solo while taking a double/tripple load time punishment?

Upvote 0
gonzman
How's it fair, that even if you somehow got every tank with 3 people in it, but you are the last one left over and theres 1 tank left but no extra people for you? you've got to get into this tank and do it solo while taking a double/tripple load time punishment?
The only way I could see that happening is if your teammates ditched you because you were about to die. So if they did do that your about to die anyway, but you could hop in to the driver seat and retreat or hope the reload is almost done and return fire.
Tsoman
We need to keep the game flowing
Yes but lets not forget the realism, solo tanking needs to be nerfed a little. There should no advantage given to soloers, while I do it all the time due to incompentent teammates, it really is dumb and unrealistic how I can take out several tanks with 2 or more people in them by myself.

Upvote 0
Steve Connors said:
not only that but reload times should be doubled or tripled

Currently the gun only reloads when the commander position is manned. So soloed tanks already have a massive drawback. They can either move or reload after firing a shot, but not both at the same time. That alone means a half decent crew in a tank will easily outdo a soloed tank (and having a multiple crew has other upsides of course). Only problem I see is that people just don't wait around at the spawns for a crew and charge off alone, usually for fear of having some total n00b hopping in the commander position. Unsure how it would be best to fix this problem.

Upvote 0
Fixing the seat change time should make it more advantageous to not solo tank. However, there are times when solo-tanking is better than having a complete noob as a driver or commander. I hate saying stop a dozen times just to be ignored, and explode seconds later from an enemy I could have easily taken out. Same for commander, nothing worse to park your tank in a great position, and even after pointing out the enemy, watching your commander sit there or look in the wrong direction.

I'm all for helping noobs, but sometimes I like having fun.

Upvote 0
I don't know, the Sherman did have a fault with the turrent which resulted in the driver not being able to get out of the tank when it was pointed at a certain direction.

But the interior of a tank is very small and packed with all sorts of things, so it really does take more than few seconds to climb from one seat to another. If you've ever been in a T-34, you know how hard is it to move around in there.

Upvote 0
LordKhaine said:
Currently the gun only reloads when the commander position is manned. So soloed tanks already have a massive drawback. They can either move or reload after firing a shot, but not both at the same time. That alone means a half decent crew in a tank will easily outdo a soloed tank (and having a multiple crew has other upsides of course). Only problem I see is that people just don't wait around at the spawns for a crew and charge off alone, usually for fear of having some total n00b hopping in the commander position. Unsure how it would be best to fix this problem.

But because you can instantly switch position its only a 2-3 second penalty. Fire, instantly jump to driver, move tank back a bit, switch to commander, wait for reload to finish. Instantly jump back to driver, move back into position, instantly jump back to command, re-aquire target and fire.

Upvote 0
It should be noted that the 'Commander' possition is actually 2(russian) to 3(german) represented crew. If there is a penalty to be instituded for single or two man tanking then it will just cripple the russians who already have really slow load times.

Instead of penalizing people for not wanting to have smack tards in thier tanks. We might look at ways to not punish the people actually doing all the work. Tanks that are single or two crewed (which is actually 4-5 man, because the commander represents 2-3 people) are better because of coordination, not because of any malicous intent.

The simple fact is that even if there is a switch time penalty, people will still single-double man tanks. All that it means is that they won't be moving as much. So if you want more camping tanks on a map, penalize them with the time switch.

As for increasing reload times for more people in the tank, thats fine. Multi crew tanks, as much as I have seen, always preform worse then single/double crewed ones. Shots always fly becuase of drivers who think that the gunners can fire on the move. Radio man gunners constantly firing because they are bored giving the tanks position away ect...

Upvote 0
Pz502_Sith said:
As for increasing reload times for more people in the tank, thats fine. Multi crew tanks, as much as I have seen, always preform worse then single/double crewed ones. Shots always fly becuase of drivers who think that the gunners can fire on the move. Radio man gunners constantly firing because they are bored giving the tanks position away ect...

Well, it largely depends on the crew. Given two noobs and a vet, the single-manned tank will most likely take it out. The noob driver will probably never stop long enough and the MGer will have given their position away long before the are in firing range.

However a 3-manned crew of vets will stomp single crewed vets, and easily stomp a 3-manned crew of noobs. Simply put, its all about the quality of the player, which is a large reason why people solo tank. They are simply more effective without a crap driver.

Leave the reload times as is. Increase position switch time and everything will be OK.

Upvote 0