• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Credit where credit is due: The sound artists

Darkseed

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
Sweden
Among all the threads pointing out errors and complaints about things (some legit, some not) I thought it was about time for another praise thread. This time concentrating on the sound department. I think they pretty much overdid themselves here, and with a good sound card and equipment the sounds are simply the best I've ever heard before in a game, bar none. Sounds are a huge part of creating the right feel for weapons and the environment you're in and they really nailed it this time.

If I wasn't in the lost land of the north (otherwise known as Sweden) I'd buy a round of beer for everyone involved in making the sounds as good as they are. Mad props, guys!

Hear, hear, the sounds are really excellent and adds a lot to the immersion. Kudos to the sound guys.

Creeping around houses and hearing footsteps and the shouts of enemies raises my neck hairs! And the screams of the dying are terrifying! :eek:

I thought I would *hate* the english accented voices but it really is fine, and makes it understandable without having to show the translated text in chat like in RO. Took me two years playing RO before I could understand all the phrases without looking at the translation :D

Upvote 0
I've only heard it on youtube, but I have to agree. Sounds are outstanding, MG34 gives me goose bumps.

Just wait until you've tried it yourself, youtube doesn't give the sounds justice. For me just switching from my old speakers to using my big headphones (I look like some kind of social experiment with them on :D) that I mainly use for musical purposes made a huge difference, and investing in a good sound card is highly recommended.

Upvote 0
but my god the mp40 sounds utterly pathetic. not even like an actual gun :(

It sounds fine to me, the weapon sounds are recorded from their real life counterparts and the MP40 is pretty rattly in real life as well. Also some sounds are less affected by your choice of sound hardware than others. MP40, PPSH41 and Mosin Nagant being some of the latter.

Upvote 0
there is much more to give credits, the game suffers atm minor problems and missed preferences by a minority which i belong to (more sway).

but yes the sound is one thing to give much respect to the creators, the atmosphere that you get here in Multiplayer was only possible in some scripted SinglePlayer games before.

Upvote 0
One of the most important things for me personally in games is the sound, and i can honestly say that the sounds in RO2 are fantastic. Being able to hear soldiers walk around upstairs on the wooden floors to the soldiers screaming and shouting as they fight from all the gun sounds just creates such a great atmosphere.

In fact there is only one sound i dislike and that is the Russian MG, i thought the sound in ro1 for that gun was much better. Overall they did a fantastic job on the sound in this game.

Upvote 0
One of the most important things for me personally in games is the sound, and i can honestly say that the sounds in RO2 are fantastic. Being able to hear soldiers walk around upstairs on the wooden floors to the soldiers screaming and shouting as they fight from all the gun sounds just creates such a great atmosphere.

In fact there is only one sound i dislike and that is the Russian MG, i thought the sound in ro1 for that gun was much better. Overall they did a fantastic job on the sound in this game.
I myself cant recognize whether sounds come above me or below, which is pretty annoying, maybe its because OpenAL isnt working yet.

Upvote 0
I absolutely love the sound design. The weapon sounds seem to pack an extra oomph that sounds very realistic, however the one thign that bothers me is the relatively low volume on grenade and artillery explosions.

I think the on sound that stands out most in my mind is being inside an empty building in RO2. Sounds from outside are muffled, you hear the occasional creak and groan from stressed supports, and when someone is stomping up the stairs, you know they're coming up, which can lead to some pretty tense moments.

Upvote 0