• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Creating a Listen Server

A Civil Engineer

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
New York
Ok, so Ive done a bit of reading and research, and Im stumped on whats going on. I understand the basics about making a server and what not, and I'm at the part where I need to make sure I have a few ports open. Now, Ive tried to figure it out on my own ,and Ive come down to the fact where its an issue with my firewall. Now, I have Norton 360, and the tutorial that shows how to Add ports for it, are all out dated. Can someone give me advice for what to do? I tried to disable my firewall, but it didn't affect how my listen servers, would not allow people to join it.

And no I do not want to have to buy that one package from that porting website because Ive had lots of other people have listen servers, and they do not have to worry about using a paid program to run it.

A few things to know:

• You need to make sure your firewall allows either the necessary ports or just the application itself. If you have Windows Firewall installed you will need to do the same for that.

• You need to set up port forwarding on your router. See here for a guide on that.

• Often it's impossible to join a friend's listen server through Steam; either have them use the server browser or enter the IP address directly.

Upvote 0
You should forward the ports directly through your router. What your routers page will be is based on what kind it is. So what kind do you have?

I would just completely disable any 3rd party program that does any kind of network security until you get stuff set up.

See, this is where I get a bit confused with computer terminology. Im connected to the internet through a wireless connection, but I do have a router.

A few things to know:

• You need to make sure your firewall allows either the necessary ports or just the application itself. If you have Windows Firewall installed you will need to do the same for that.
  • You need to set up port forwarding on your router. See here for a guide on that.
  • Often it's impossible to join a friend's listen server through Steam; either have them use the server browser or enter the IP address directly.

Im using Norton 360 for my firewall. I believe I have Windows firewall disabled since Im using Norton 360.

Ill give that another shot and see how that goes.

Im aware of the issue where people can not join friends in listen servers through steam, so that's why I tell them to just go to multi-player and use the IP address thing.

Let me work with what Ive got and see how it goes from there. Thanks for both of you guys help.

Upvote 0