• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Create Active Channel? VOIP

DangDave

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 23, 2006
Illinois, USA
Is there a way to create a private channel?
I was messin around with it but when I try to use it in game it says no active channel selected.

FPS HS

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nope as far as I know there are only three channels public team and local.
Local channel is kinda like a private channel cause only those within a certain distance are supposed to hear you. But I have heard rummors that it is unreliable, althought I have never had any problems with the local channel myself. :)

DangDave

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 23, 2006
Illinois, USA
I figured it out
just use your player name as channel name, set password and give it to your buds.
This looks like it will work but havent had a chance to get a friend in game to try yet.
When I push talk however it shows this and not the "no active channel" message.

UPDATE:
tried this out with a bud still dont work

Last edited:

DangDave

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 23, 2006
Illinois, USA
Nobody knows how to do this ( if ya can )

you can use your player name in default channel box and set a password to it
but how do others join that channel?

It would be great if ya could get all your friends on one channel to talk without everyone else listening in.

According to the balloon message it says " password for private chat room " ?

Shadowman

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2006
Rockville, MD
Your best bet for something like private chat is really to go with teamspeak or ventrillo. The quality is usually a lot better since it's running on a different machine than the gameserver, which is already using much of its resources on the more taxing needs of the game.

Many of the public servers offer teamspeak/vent servers with such channels
-- check with your favorite servers' websites.

AlphaNut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 30, 2006
Shadowman said:
Your best bet for something like private chat is really to go with teamspeak or ventrillo. The quality is usually a lot better since it's running on a different machine than the gameserver, which is already using much of its resources on the more taxing needs of the game.

Many of the public servers offer teamspeak/vent servers with such channels
-- check with your favorite servers' websites.
This is true, however, I found the VOIP quality to be excellent in ROOST.
And it allows you to speak on a public channel which is a really nice feature imo.

Jet Black

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 3, 2006
A 'little' off topic, but someone mentioned the 'local' channel, and I always wondered: If the enemy is near you when you use local, will they hear you?

Helmi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 15, 2006
Germany
Jet Black said:
A 'little' off topic, but someone mentioned the 'local' channel, and I always wondered: If the enemy is near you when you use local, will they hear you?
Yes, unless you're sitting in a vehicle.

(at least, that's what I gathered when I was searching for an answer for the same question a while ago...)

Plaid13

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 22, 2006
the problem with local chat is it hardly ever works in tanks. If it did tank maps might be enjoyed by everyone with a mic.

DangDave

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 23, 2006
Illinois, USA
I wish I could get a DEV to respond to this

The Password and Active channel fields must be for something
but the manual doesnt say exactly what.

PS: in server config it also has a field for allowing cross team PRIVATE CHAT

Last edited:

dp76764

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 28, 2006
www.theparkside.net
Are these features, perhaps, part of the UE2.5 engine?
Would there be any useful information in the manuals for that (maybe TW didn't want to bother with this feature and left that info out)?

DangDave

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 23, 2006
Illinois, USA
In the manual under Voice Chat it says:​

Default Channel Name : Enter the name of the default channel you would like to use when you join a game​

Chat Password : Assign a password to your channel​

thats it, unless they are talking about the irc chat on selection screen but that appears to be text only.​

fiftyone

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 6, 2006
Well I don't know but I believe that if you call your channel "danglingdave" and then give it a password of "your choice", then tell your mates the channel name & password, you should be able to chat till your hearts content, in private, as it were !
I might be wrong tho !

special sauce

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 4, 2006
why are we all arguing about this, it's a bug/ and once again the devs have ignored it, just to give us a nother stoopid gun..... gonna go game browsing. this stuff is finished. the tanks were groundbreaking [now they're sinking, ] people won't buy this game after i finished telling them about the bugs......

Brad

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 22, 2006
Just to interject, Local VOIP is unreliable at this time, I've tested it on different servers with different people and at times it seems to work, others not.

So you cannot rely on Local. TeamSpeak or Ventrilo is probably your best bet. And you can (in TS anyway) use high-quality sound so that it sounds just as good if not better than the built-in VOIP in RO.