• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Create a Turret

Matt

Mar 20, 2009
After a brief search I've only encountered one thread about turrets, but that was importing UT2004 content.

I was wanting to create my own turret, I already have the meshes ready and animations. I just need to create the AI to shoot anything within the turrets sight, be it humans or zombies. It would be fully automated, and never run out of ammo. It's viewing range would be within...say 100 yards, and perhaps a 160 Degree viewing angle. I can tone down the variables to adjust for playability.

As I'm pretty inexperienced in UnrealScript, I'm wondering if this would be too much effort? I can look at a workaround, but this was my No.1 desire for one of my upcoming projects.

Dont worry about balancing, I can figure that out myself.

Last edited:
If you're smart you won't make it AI controlled. That would never be whitelisted as it makes it too easy to get easy kills and therefore noone would ever use it.

My suggestion is you make a player controlled turret. You should have to utilize and sacrifice one of your team members to control a turret and the others to protect it. Putting down an auto shooting turret and then going elsewhere (which people WILL do, there's no denying it) is just lazy and takes no strategy whatsoever. It's just cool to use if anything.

It's a 6 player team, not a 6 player team AND a bunch of turret AI. You might as well call that a 12 player game, and TWI already made it clear that they don't allow perks on games with more then 6 players. and lets be honest, you need a mut to be whitelisted if people are going to use it online and not just for lan games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm tuning it for playabilities sake, trust me the way I'm integrating it isn't as a Quick Leveling thing or anything lame. It needs to be fully AI operated, although also having a man controlled one would be nice. Which is easier to integrate?

considering it'd save you the hassle of coding an AI for it and getting all the bugs out of it, i'd say it's easier to integrate yes.

Upvote 0
I think what you could do is have the AI one but just have it do minimal damage and be able to be taken out in 1 to 2 hits by any specimen. Just making it balanced like that would work out I believe.

Plus mabye actually having to spend money to build the thing could be something else you could look into. It may be easier just to have a human based one I believe though.

Upvote 0