• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Crash] Crashing Problem

Xeltsek

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 21, 2011
Hi,

I recently bought this game on steam, and when i loaded it up for the first time, it worked fine, but I changed the resolution to a lower one and then i got a black screen and had to Ctrl +alt+del my way out of the game. Ever since then, I can load the game up, I see all the Logos at the start, but as soon as it gets to what i assume is the Main menu (Because the music starts playing) all i can see is the little Dwarf hand cursor, and nothing but a black screen behind it, and i have to Ctrl +alt+del again to end the game.

Basically I think what i need to do, is to get the game back to it's fresh install default settings, so that it starts up in the original resolution it was in when i first loaded it, but I am having trouble doing this.

What I have tried:

Un-installing the game and reinstalling it.
Un-installing steam completely including the registry entry and reinstalling it.
I even tried a system restore to several hours before i even installed the game and tried installing everything fresh.
Verifying the cache etc. and installing net framework and the other XM thing.

Any suggestions?

My specs are:-

Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2CPUs)
1014MB RAM
Direct X 9.0c
Intel 82915G/GV/910GL 128.0 MB
SigmaTel Audio

If I can supply any more info please don't hesitate to ask, in the meantime I'll keep trying other routes,

Thanks.

Just to say I managed to sort this, it was the graphics drivers. I have a dell system and dell's drivers are way out of date so I had to manually install a driver from a zip from Intels website, which got it working in any resolution and I haven't had a problem or a crash since.

I assumed my drivers were up to date as I had the latest one from Dell but I guess they weren't :p

Thanks for the help anyway,

Xelt

Upvote 0