• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design crash, can't load package etc...

SchutzeSepp

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2006
i have this verry annoying problem, i spent my time transferring all the myLevel textures and meshes to the official DH packages to save some MB's on the final build.
and it seems the game just doesn't wan't to use some of the textures, unless if i open the textures packs first before opeing a map in the editor, then some of the textures will not appear, and the editor doesn't draw them.
loading those maps ingame simply crashes the game, here is what the log says:

Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport
ScriptLog: New Player [DH]SchutzeSepp id=84159f68256957d3d67b35cb78cb770f
Log: MatchViewportsToActors: DarkestHour.DHMainMenu
ModAuthor: DarkestHour.DHGUIController OpenMenu [DarkestHour.DHMainMenu] (?disconnect?Name=[DH]SchutzeSepp?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=US_506101ABSarg1?team=1) (MatchingViewport)
ScriptLog: MainMenu: starting music DH_Menu_Music
Log: Static mesh batches: 0 vertex bytes, 0 index bytes
ModAuthor: DarkestHour.DHGUIController OpenMenu [DarkestHour.DHGamePageSP] () ()
ScriptLog: Current game type = DarkestHour.DarkestHourGame
ModAuthor: # # # # Select Map ShowPanel() True
ScriptLog: Current game type = DarkestHour.DarkestHourGame
Warning: Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name
Warning: Failed to load 'Material None.': Can't resolve package name
ModAuthor: # # # # Select Map ShowPanel() True
ScriptLog: Prepare to play GameURL= DH-foy-20december?BonusVehicles=false?Game=DarkestHour.DarkestHourGame?bAutoNumBots=False?NumBots=0?bAutoNumBots=False?NumBots=0
ModAuthor: DHGUIController CloseAll bCancel:False Forced:True (Currently 2 menus open)
ModAuthor: Menu[0]:DHMainMenu
ModAuthor: Menu[1]:DHGamePageSP
ModAuthor: DarkestHour.DHGUIController CloseMenu [DHGamePageSP]
ModAuthor: DHGUIController CloseAll bCancel:False Forced:True (Currently 0 menus open)
ScriptLog: Attempting to close a non-existing menu page
Log: URL: Adding default option Name=[DH]SchutzeSepp
Log: URL: Adding default option Class=Engine.Pawn
Log: URL: Adding default option Character=US_506101ABSarg1
Log: URL: Adding default option team=1
Log: Browse: DH-foy-20december?BonusVehicles=false?Game=DarkestHour.DarkestHourGame?bAutoNumBots=False?NumBots=0?Name=[DH]SchutzeSepp?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=US_506101ABSarg1?team=1
Warning: Failed to load 'myLevel': Can't find file for package 'myLevel'
Warning: Failed to load 'DH_Buildings': Can't find file for package 'myLevel'
Warning: Failed to load 'DH-foy-20december': Can't find file for package 'myLevel'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'myLevel'
ScriptLog: PlayerController.ProgressCommand Cmd 'menu:DarkestHour.DHMainMenu' Msg1 'Failed launching URL' Msg2 'Can't find file for package 'myLevel''
ModAuthor: DarkestHour.DHGUIController OpenMenu [DarkestHour.DHMainMenu] (Failed launching URL) (Can't find file for package 'myLevel')
ModAuthor: DarkestHour.DHGUIController CloseMenu [DHMainMenu]
ModAuthor: DarkestHour.DHGUIController OpenMenu [DarkestHour.DHMainMenu] () ()
ModAuthor: DarkestHour.DHGUIController CloseMenu [DHMainMenu]
ModAuthor: DarkestHour.DHGUIController OpenMenu [DarkestHour.DHMainMenu] () ()
ModAuthor: DarkestHour.DHGUIController OpenMenu [DarkestHour.DHQuitPage] () ()
Log: Unknown style requested none
Log: appRequestExit(0)
Localization: No localization: RedOrchestra.General.Exit (int)
Exit: Preparing to exit.
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Unbound to Window.dll
Log: Unbound to Core.dll
Log: Unbound to Engine.dll
Exit: Game engine shut down
Log: Unbound to WinDrv.dll
Log: POSTFX - TripPostFX::CleanUp
Exit: Windows client shut down
Log: Unbound to D3D9Drv.dll
Log: Unbound to XGame.dll
Log: Unbound to IpDrv.dll
Log: Unbound to Editor.dll
Log: Unbound to Fire.dll
Log: Unbound to XInterface.dll
Log: Unbound to UWeb.dll
Log: (Karma): Level Karma Terminated.
Log: Unbound to ROEngine.dll
Log: Unbound to ALAudio.dll
Log: Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
Exit: OpenAL Audio subsystem shut down.
Log: Garbage: objects: 42318->0; refs: 265455
Exit: Object subsystem successfully closed.
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 128 MByte 940 KByte 38 Bytes from HD took 0.375000 seconds (0.323000 reading, 0.052000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.806997 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Memory Allocation Status
Uninitialized: Curr Memory 0.227M / 4.434M
Uninitialized: Peak Memory 132.475M / 135.125M
Uninitialized: Allocs 871 Current / 1281449 Total
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 09/18/08 19:30:24

the weird thing is that the textures are defeneately inside the packages, but for some reason the game won't see them. only when i first open the textures packeges before loading a map, then it works and the textures show up.
the weird thing is that the log talks about the myLevel, while im almost 100% certain that none of the meshes use textures from the myLevel

Last edited:
A re-install should fix this, but I don't know how practical it is for you.

You can try and re-assign the textures to your models. If there are any empty materials fill those up with a place-holder if you have to.

If you have two packages, one for textures one for staticmeshes and they have the same name except for the ending, this can cause problems too. I don't know what kind of problems exactly but I know they can cause some. Rename them to YourPackageNameTEX.utx and YourPackageNameSM.usx or something.

Just out of curiosity: Did you save the myLevel package at any point for whatever reason?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what do you mean by reinstall? i already reimported all the textures from zero, and it had no effect.
i am importing them into existing texture and statics packages, so if there was a problem with the name it would have shown up earlyer i suppose.

and it is possible that i might have saved one of the mylevel files. i have this problem with 3 maps, and i managed to get 1 working. when i loaded the map in the editor, i had a message tellling me it couldn't find 3 textures, and all references were set to null. i then saved the map, and from then on that map worked fine. even though it was actually not even using any of those 3 textures. i can't get the other 2 maps to work though

edit: i think i have fixed it! in that particular statics package, there were a whole set of meshes that had some texture slots set on "none". i allocated them back their original textures, and now the maps load fine.

only the log does repeat this line about 30 times:
Log: (Karma): StaticMesh (ardennes_wall2) with empty Karma KAggregateGeometry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
edit: i think i have fixed it! in that particular statics package, there were a whole set of meshes that had some texture slots set on "none". i allocated them back their original textures, and now the maps load fine.
That's what I meant with empty materials. Glad you got this fixed.

The line in the log appears once for each instance of the StaticMesh in your level. Try giving it a new collision either with a brush or with simple box collision, depending on what it looks like. If that doesn't solve it remove the existing collision and disable every collision in the properties of each placed one the StaticMeshes and use BlockingVolumes instead.

Upvote 0
thanks murph,
i will try that with the collision.

my other problem is not yet totally fixed, i can now load the maps ingame, but the problematic texture is not used, and the game uses the default texture instead.

i tried re-importing the texture and re allocating it to the meshes, i also tried importing it with a different name. and i also reworked the texture to 512x512 instead of 512x1024 and importing it under a different name. but nothing helps, asif that texture is doomed lol. the game won't load it.

i also gave the meshes using that texture a different texture from the same pack, and then it does work. i just don't understand it.
could it have something to do with the textures only working if they are also used on a stock DH map? ill try by using that texture on a stock map aswell, and then see if it loads

Last edited:
Upvote 0
placing th textures on a stock map and saving it doesn't help, the game still won't load the textures unless your first load them before loading a map.

is there a reason why the game decides it doesn't want to load certain textures? one of them is a texture that was used in the myLevel without problems, and 2 others are textures that already were in that pack, and that now suddenly the game won't find, while they are clearly there.

Upvote 0
That's strange. I never had a problem like this before.

Maybe you can force the game to recognize them if you add them as "skin" to the already placed StaticMeshes. Not ideal, but it may work as a work-around.
Maybe you also have to place the SMs again. Normally changing the source SM should automatically change the placed instances as well but this isn't a normal situation from the looks of it. Just try placing one new one and see if that one works.
Also, for additional trouble-shooting, use the texture on BSP and see if it works there, just so we know whether the textures or the SMs are the problem.

Upvote 0
i just did what i should have done from the start, i uploaded the texture in a different pack, and then created a new mesh with the myLevel mesh from an older beta of that map, and loaded that one also in a different pack and gave it the new textures and now it works!
totally unlogic, but it works!

Upvote 0