• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cracking sounds

Its nothing specific all sorts of noises do it I run a $600 audio set up and its the worst part of the game. Sad too because the audio sounds like it would be phenomenal otherwise.

It wasn't as bad in the beta, or release. Latest patch makes it 2x worse I cant play more then 10 minutes because of this noise. Can the devs honestly not hear it are they all using ipod earbuds?

I made a thread during the beta others could hear it as well. I have tried 2 different sound cards, different amps, headphones, dacs, even onboard audio its always their.

Upvote 0
I made a thread during the beta others could hear it as well. I have tried 2 different sound cards, different amps, headphones, dacs, even onboard audio its always their.

Because it's the MKB sound.

It's very easy to pinpoint, listen to every gun being fired... the only one that makes the crackling noise is the MKB. An easy fix, I'm sure, but making the game very irritating at the moment -- kicked my sub a bunch of times (sometimes something inside it shorts out and makes the sound crackle) but then realised it's not even my speakers, lol.

Upvote 0
Because it's the MKB sound.

It's very easy to pinpoint, listen to every gun being fired... the only one that makes the crackling noise is the MKB. An easy fix, I'm sure, but making the game very irritating at the moment -- kicked my sub a bunch of times (sometimes something inside it shorts out and makes the sound crackle) but then realised it's not even my speakers, lol.

Umm no its not only the MKB sound. Artillary, MG fire, Tank Engines - they all do it. It was present in the beta and there was no MKB.

Also Its absolute **** ruins the game

Reactions: K@n@y
Upvote 0
Simila Problem

Simila Problem

I seem to have a similar problem I constantly have cracklng from the left channels. It sounds similar to a flapping speaker buts its the same whether I use speakers or headphones and sound card or extrenal dac. Its driving me crazy and only happens in this game (didnt happen in the beat either)

Upvote 0
Experiencing the same sound issues. It's scratchy, crackling and popping and sounds are even cutting out now, but before the patch it was perfectly fine. I've tried all the sound settings available and nothing gets rid of it. Using realtek onboard sound with the most recent drivers.

Here's an example of what it's doing on youtube (turn up your volume, more noticeable with headphones):
RO2 Sound Test - YouTube

It's not even the worst case scenario, but you can hear still what we are talking about. Before the update the sound was to me, the absolute best part of the game. Now, it's downright annoying at times. Anyone find a way to fix it yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
I think I've identified the problem.

Every shot when you're nearby an MkB creates an indivudal sound 'object' - that means, every shot creates another sound, and when there are several occurring in a very short time period (eg when a weapon is firing full-auto), they overlap and start messing with each other, creating the scratchy, awful sounds. It's like overdriving a speaker, but in software.

The best way to fix it would be to do what every other game does for rapid fire weapons - instead of layered individual sounds, have a 'rapid fire' sound that is loopable, so only one sound 'object' would ever be active at one time for each weapon firing.

Hopefully I made sense here.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's called audio clipping, Where many sounds overlap each other and reach DB so high that it clips and make the speakers crackle. i'm not 100% sure it's that though in the game.

In audio editing and music we use compressor to limit the sound from peaking into a certain DB wall. Or we cutoff the sounds so they don't overlap each others.

it might also be the reverb tails

Upvote 0