• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cover system

SQBsam

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
Australia
I am actually really sad that the cover system has been implemented, is it just me???

I think that having a button to press to get into cover just makes the game no fun, the game designer will place cover in the spots where they want a firefight to happen so we will not end up with open areas and there will be less control over the character. I like having my choices about how i take cover, and cover interfaces are always clunky and hard to use. In the end every time an interactive cover system is implemented firefights end up being people hiding and then glimpsing around the corner every now and then to take a pot shot... focusing people into the default cover system.

*sigh* sorry for my rambling :(, the game looks great in almost every other aspect.

Since we are one the cover system I would like to ask this:

Would the player be able to shoot this time from the APC (example: sdkfz 251) while riding in the back?

I know they will add some APC at a later point after release, so I want to know if that would be possible. If possible to shoot back then in return you can use molotovs from windows and watch them burn :).

P.S. Sorry if this was mentioned some where, i try to keep up with the forum everyday.

Upvote 0
Using the cover system isn't required - no one is going to force you to use it. You can still take cover behind objects as though there wasn't a system.
THIS! All of the features of RO1's movement system are there in RO2. Now there is an added OPTION of a cover system.

Isn't that great? Tripwire is giving you more choices without taking time-tested ones away! :IS2::IS2::IS2:

Upvote 0
I am actually really sad that the cover system has been implemented, is it just me???

I think that having a button to press to get into cover just makes the game no fun, the game designer will place cover in the spots where they want a firefight to happen so we will not end up with open areas and there will be less control over the character. I like having my choices about how i take cover, and cover interfaces are always clunky and hard to use. In the end every time an interactive cover system is implemented firefights end up being people hiding and then glimpsing around the corner every now and then to take a pot shot... focusing people into the default cover system.

*sigh* sorry for my rambling :(, the game looks great in almost every other aspect.

none of what you said even makes sense. the cover system doesn't even work like that. please read the forums before posting. this is your first post and you've already embarrassed yourself.

Upvote 0

How does having a snap to cover button remove fun exactly? Could you elaborate on that? All it does is give you the option of snapping to cover to use peeking and blind firing, something that was poorly implemented/not implemented in ROOST.

The mappers will always and have always placed cover to be used during firefights...even in ROOST. Please don't think it's going to be oddly placed "chest high walls" everywhere for you to cower behind.

Realistic use of cover was a big issue in ROOST and for it to have been remedied with what looks like a smooth and seamless cover system can only be a good thing.

Upvote 0
I am loving the way the cover system is looking for this particular title. I truly love how they have taken this idea of a snap on cover system that has been done so many times now in previous titles and truly made it unique to their game. All other games that have used this same type of system have just basically been recycling the same system over and over again ever since R6Vegas. I love how this system stays in first person and allows you to fire with your irons, all the videos so far make the system look smooth and seamless, I cannot wait to give it a try myself.

Reactions: MtnMan01
Upvote 0
I think he has a valid point in being concerned about the cover system. I like it and I think it will really improve the game if it works as well as it seems in the videos but in some situations (cover more irregularly shaped than a pile of sandbags or a doorway) i'm sure it won't work perfect at all times. So I'm glad it's confirmed that you can play the game just like in old RO.

I know the cover system handles both peeking over sandbags and around corners, but say you're standing by a window, will you be able to move to the side of the window and peek around the corner in the same way as you would in a doorway (so you don't reveal yourself to 180 degrees)? Might sound stupid, but I know how it is with games.. Will the system handle more complicated situations?

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
RO2's cover system will beat the **** out of any other cover system out there. Just because all of the cover systems you've seen so far were badly implemented or plain arcade, doesn't mean that it can't be done right.

"Also, notice how our blind fire... is actually blind." - Ramm

Heh true that. It seems a lot of people forgot what blindfire actually is, and that you actually CAN'T see past things you're trying to hide behind.

Upvote 0