• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Countdown

JayTac

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Just about every thread I go into, someone mentions how disappointed they are because RO2 is more arcade than they expected it to be. Everyone is clamoring for a more realistic and tactical experience.

Yet! When I go to the server browser and filter for Countdown, hardly anyone is playing it. Countdown is the mode for the hardcore crowd, that want a realistic, tactical, and slow paced action. But, no one plays it!? Instead they get on the forums and complain about how fast paced the action is, well jump into countdown, a realistic mode, hardcore settings, and see if that doesn't change your opinion. For all the guys who are screaming for something hardcore.. where are you?? Countdown should be a lot more active than it is.

Last edited:
Registered to say I completely agree.

I didnt play RO1, and started playing RO2 in Territory as I assume most people do. I had fun for a while but after about 2 hours I needed something more challenging. Realism Countdown is absolutely perfect, it feels like thats what the game was made for. But every day I come home after work and theres less than 5 countdown servers in the whole world actually populated. And most of them with 1 or 2 people, or the other side of the world from me.
I actually end up just quitting the game and doing something else for a while, then checking back to see if theres any decent servers. Territory just does absolutely nothing for me, its not even fun.

So exactly as the OP said. Where are all these "hardcore RO1 veterans" baying for realism and whining about arcade? They certaintly arent playing the one mode that actually brings what they are complaining about!

Also this afternoon while coping with a 200 ping on a countdown server some guy said in the chat "this onelife servermod sucks". Guess thats how little CD servers there are, that people think its a mod :(

Upvote 0

I agree that CD could use some improving. But, as it relates to my post, it's the most realistic option we have right now. It's the best answer for a more methodical fight. Yes, it ends sort of abruptly simply because another person has moved into a rather small capzone, but Territory is modeled the same way in that regard.

So, you may as well go with the more realistic of the two, being that the downside to both are the same. S&D, not to knock it, but it's straight from CoD. Which is fine, we all have our own preferences, but my argument is about realism and pleasing the hardcore. A S&D mode would be fun, but not necessarily realistic.

Upvote 0
This is probably the BEST point made. So realism guys why arent you on countdown? 1 life, 1 team objective... Everyone working together! Countdown was made for the realism fanboys!! PLAY IT

I was on LWC earlier today, and the admin said, "Hey guys, who wants to try something FUN after this round?" and threw on Grain Elevator countdown. The server dropped from 32 players to 16 players after map change, and people started trickling out. He had to change it back to territory mode.

Upvote 0
Personally I love CD mode as well. I do like TE for the constant action, but then I love CD for the tension it creates.

Our server is set to run a TE & CD map cycle, so those that are fans of CD but can't find servers running it feel free to head into ours (sf.Shoot First [Tactical]) 24 person server. I do also think CD mode works better on smaller servers to begin with.

Keep in mind you will also see more CD being played for clan-play. Pubbers seem to be more interested in an FF/TE constant action-fest (spawn-death cycle) than the more tactical tension-building gameplay that CD mode caters to.

Upvote 0
Countdown can be really fun in competitive play other night had a clan vs clan match 11vs11.It changed my mind about CD it was really fun with 2 good teams both sides had their own TS to coordinate their battle.On the average public server its just hard for teamwork to take place atm so many off doing their own thing.

Really good teamwork is where CD shines even when dead you will find yourself cheering them on knowing their actually trying to do what it takes to win.Before that night I would find myself watching people camp in the wrong spot and it wasn't fun to watch to say the least.

I can see more CD in competitive play and as time roles on public servers(with good teams) where the realism guys should find it alot funner.

Upvote 0
Personally I love CD mode as well. I do like TE for the constant action, but then I love CD for the tension it creates.

Our server is set to run a TE & CD map cycle, so those that are fans of CD but can't find servers running it feel free to head into ours (sf.Shoot First [Tactical]) 24 person server. I do also think CD mode works better on smaller servers to begin with.

Keep in mind you will also see more CD being played for clan-play. Pubbers seem to be more interested in an FF/TE constant action-fest (spawn-death cycle) than the more tactical tension-building gameplay that CD mode caters to.

I've also noticed server population drop whenever CD is selected. But, like I alluded to when you notice the numerous people on the forums asking for exactly what CD offers, you have to wonder if they've given it a chance.. Or maybe they're not into realism as they claim.. I dunno, whatever the case I hope more people give it a chance and the CD servers become more populated.

Upvote 0
Everyone seems to be missing the problem here...

Countdown is not more realistic because of fewer lives, it's less so. Territory attempts to simulate larger battles by giving a number of respawns. It's flawed, but works well enough. Countdown attempts to make every engagement lopsided by removing the players slowly from the equation. It's like they're trying to answer the question of "What would the fight over the train station have been like if it was fought with 3 people against 2 people", even though nobody ever asked that.

Upvote 0
I think my point stands. 2 vs. ?????? is quite realistic. But it's not fun for a lot of people. People draw the line between fun and realism all over the place....but the always draw it exactly where they'd like it.

To me CD is ultra realistic and easily the most immersive of any of the modes, when all the other features are dialed down or turned off...but it's the least fun because all you want to do is get back in there, and dying early makes for a long wait.

Upvote 0