• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Controlling height while crouched

Munkie

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2006
usa
I've been thinking about this for a while.
I think the two biggest changes made from RO the mod to Ostfront are the ability to rest weapons and the leaning features. All the other changes made to tanks, nades, maps, etc, are significant, but not as important as those. Resting your weapon on a sandbag and leaning around corners completely changed the way RO is played and made it more immersive and gave players new options to adapt to the environment. I think we need more ways to conform to the battlefield and maximize battle performance. Which brings me to this...

Currently, when we crouch and hide behind an object like a sandbag or a window, the character crouches at a default low height. When he brings up the ironsights, the character rises a little to a higher default height. The problem with this is that the character's default height is sometimes too short or too tall for the sandbag to effectively rest the weapon. If I'm shooting slightly upwards, I don't want to rise too high and expose myself. If I'm shooting down, sometimes the character doesn't rise high enough to clear the sandbag and if I stand I'm too high and exposed again (ex. shooting down from roof on Odessa). I may only be exposed 2 or 4 inches more than necessary to but at this level, where players can hit me if I expose as much as a little toe, these little things make a huge difference!

I would like to be able to control my avatar's height while being crouched and ironsighted. When I bring up the ironsight, instead of rising a little, the character would simply stay crouched at the same height. And then I would use my mouse wheel to manually adjust my height slowly until I get the desired height. Just like how real life soldiers would bend their knees to get the appropriate height while hiding behind varying sizes of windows and sandbags. When not ironsighted, the mouse wheel would work as normal and simply select weapons.

I think this could work very well and change RO signiificantly for the better. Of course it may not work as well as in theory and may prove to be a bad idea. What do you fuys think?

completely agreed on this...
Might have 3 stages to make it simple

Low(full crouch/back bent/crumbled)
Medium (full crouch, back straighter),
high ( Halv crouch, back stright)

Low = standard, then adjust up with mouse wheel, much like the 3 stages in the tank (interiour, cupoula, button up)

Also I think the bobbing up while moving in croach should be removed (and add this system in stead), cause its really anoying showing my head to the enemy each time I wish to change position behind sandbags.

The only difficult thing about this is that you must make new anims for walking in all the different stances.. But that should be a BIG problem no?

Upvote 0
I think that it'd be pretty easy to make your character auto-level his height when near such obstacles.

I also think that, at the moment, your character pops up a little bit when at a moving crouch, and when you stop moving you go down a little bit. I think it'd be really cool to be able to press the forward key against said sandbags and have your vision pop up over them without having to use the ironsights. As it is if you try and press against anything solid with your movement keys at a crouch, you don't act like you're moving forward at all.

I can't really think of how you could put multiple crouching heights in the game without making things difficult control-wise.

Upvote 0
I think that it'd be pretty easy to make your character auto-level his height when near such obstacles.

I also think that, at the moment, your character pops up a little bit when at a moving crouch, and when you stop moving you go down a little bit. I think it'd be really cool to be able to press the forward key against said sandbags and have your vision pop up over them without having to use the ironsights. As it is if you try and press against anything solid with your movement keys at a crouch, you don't act like you're moving forward at all.

I can't really think of how you could put multiple crouching heights in the game without making things difficult control-wise.

Hmm.. Yeah. The few good things in Vietcong was auto peak/height adjust over cover. But as I have no skills in coding for 2004 engine, I just type the sollutions I think could be done...

The idea of pushing forward to raise stance is also very good, cause there is at no point you would do that action (waking into a cover for no reason)

To build more on this idea, I think it should be able to climb obstacles by double pressing forward button. no need for an extra button to perform that either.. Just double click and hold.

Upvote 0
You guys know that you autolevel when you go to IS, right? At least to a limited maximum crouched/IS height.

It would be nice to adjust heigh manually, though.

yes I know its autoleveling at some degree, but it is sometimes very tricky when in stressed situations:
Ie you have to play the same map many times to know where you can easily set up the MG...

I had a couple of irritations when I was going to set up my MG, and suddently I was aiming strignt into the sandbag... Then I tried again on a lower surface and I couldnt get supported icon showing... and suddently it displayed for 0.1 sec and ... then I was dead...

Try for example and set up the MG on the left wing on the Stuka in Odessa :D ?!(=?

Upvote 0
The problem with auto-leveling is that the character only adjusts to shoot targets horizontally where the target would be at the same altitude as the character. But if you wanted to shoot up or down (this is 3-dimensional world after all) the either the cover gets in the way or the character gets exposed too much.

Upvote 0
I definitely would like to see some system to control your height better. It's annnoying on Maknovo Village for example where you can rest your rifle fine on the post office windows, but the windows in station are too low for standing but too high for crouching. In Raven Shield there was a "fluid stance" button, which when held moving the mouse would move your character's stance gradually up, down, left or right. I think this combined with auto-leveling (perhaps optional) would solve most stance problems.

Upvote 0