• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Constructing map in old RO editor in preparation for new one

Six_Ten

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006
aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com
I jsut played Stalingrad on Ostfront and it seems so exactly llike the mod version that I think I can build my map in the mod editor then when the Ostfront editor is released, import it to the new editor.

How much can I build in the mod editor and import to the new one? Which parts should I wait on?

Tried to import the new texture .ucx to the old editor but got a general protection fault. So the files seem not to be backward compatible, but how much is forward compatible?

As far as I've read the following applies:

• Ostfront maps are a different scale so you'd have to adjust the scale of all you make in the old editor.
  • All the SM packages have changed and lots of the MOD meshes don't exist anymore.
  • Same goes for the Textures etc.
  • All the actors will probably have changed so no luck there either..

So if youre lucky you could make terrain and maybe some BSP :p

Upvote 0
I've also thought about getting a headstart on mapping, but theres some other issues with importing a partially started map from UED to RO:OED.

The map file extension has changed to.rom so the new editor may not be able to open a .ut2 map. It might be simply a case of changing the extension and opening it with RO:OED but maybe not. This may be the case for statmesh package etc as well i dont know.
STEAM:- Tripwire may have to play with the code in RO:OED to get it to behave nicely with steam. Since this will be to do with opening, modifying, and recompiling encrypted archives coupled with a probably tight security requirement so that ppl are not able to compromise the security of the steam sytem, RO:OED may only be able to open map, texture, staticemesh packages directly fromn the archive, so ordinary UED stuff might not work for this reason as well.

Its been said before, use the time for reaserch, design, and artwork in the meantime. Ive been blocking out a couple of level ideas in my favorite 3D modeling program. nothing fancy, just a sheet for terrain, and cube type things for buildings etc. at 1/10th scale.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DeV said:
So you're unofficially stating that its possible to copy BSP and terrain from Mod editor into RO:Ost Editor? If so I'm going to start on my BSP/Terrains!! :p

Not exactly.. I'm just unoffically stating that I've copied BSP from UT99 to UT2004. So entirely seperate .exe's that are both Unreal Engine based.

So it may be very possible to copy BSP/Terrain information FROM UT2004 and paste it into OstFront.. but I've never actually done it, nor am I saying it WILL work.. just saying it's worth a try, and probably has a good chance of working, acedemically, based on my prior experience.

Is there anyone that has done custom mapping for other UnrealEngine based games that can comment based on copying Terrain/BSP?

Upvote 0
Terrain I'm not so sure about, but that can be very easily imported and exported. My intuition tells me that if you imported your heightmap and layer texture into matching packages and then copied the terraininfo actor into the new level, it would show up with a rebuild. As for bsp, I can confirm that yes you can infact copy between the two editors. Missing texture packages go to bubbles, so you have to retexture or have the textures from the old editor available in the new editor under the same package headers. I wouldn't get too worked up about scaling, the difference is not tremendous.

Upvote 0