• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Constant DDoS

Shadowmm

Apr 1, 2018
Is anyone going to address the ongoing issue of ddos amplification attacks? for those of use using cable internet theres no way to mitigate these attacks unless its a ISP level. I shut my server down due to these attacks and would like to know if anyone figured out a real solution. Ive tried all the ddos tools posted here and they dont stop the attack completely and still manage to slow down my internet until all players on the server disconnect. Anyone out there can help?

Create a support ticket with TWI. The more people nag about it the higher the chance something gets done.

But it's a hard problem to solve, they probably have no idea how to approach it, would have to find someone who's good at unreal protocol, who probably charges hundreds per $ hour, the issue could be on the level where it's only Epic is in position to fix that, which they won't as it's an old product.

And besides, it's either their own servers aren't attacked, or their pipe is so thick that nobody cares about this thing going on and they are okay to be serving as accomplices to this.

As for servers, this game roughly has 2.5-3K concurrent players average per month, that includes solo players, the number of servers online is upwards of 2K, we clearly have an overabundance situation, so they probably don't even care about community server hosters dropping out of the game.

Upvote 0
Create a support ticket with TWI. The more people nag about it the higher the chance something gets done.

But it's a hard problem to solve, they probably have no idea how to approach it, would have to find someone who's good at unreal protocol, who probably charges hundreds per $ hour, the issue could be on the level where it's only Epic is in position to fix that, which they won't as it's an old product.

And besides, it's either their own servers aren't attacked, or their pipe is so thick that nobody cares about this thing going on and they are okay to be serving as accomplices to this.

As for servers, this game roughly has 2.5-3K concurrent players average per month, that includes solo players, the number of servers online is upwards of 2K, we clearly have an overabundance situation, so they probably don't even care about community server hosters dropping out of the game.

I disagree, the ddos amplification attacks are relatively easy to solve. One simple way would be to force the client to send more data than the server responds with initially. After the first packet, the connection request, is sent by the client you put a for loop client side that sends say 60 additional packets. These packets contain nothing useful. On the server side you have another while loop waiting for and counting those 60 packets. Once the server has the 60 packets it responds and everything continues like normal. If the server doesn’t get those 60 packets it timeouts and drops the connection without responding.
Note:I just chose 60 because it’s two seconds at the default server tick rate of 30 ticks per second. The number of packets would need to be modified and packet loss would need to be taken into account. Maybe the server would wait until it has 30 packets then proceed.

This solution would make using kf2 servers for amplification attacks useless because the client has to send more packets to the server then it replies with. The only drawback I see is it would take a little longer to connect. I suspect this would be negligible.

However as you said this is a money issue. The code to do something like this would be relatively simple however there would need to be a large amount of testing after which is what would cost lots.

Upvote 0