• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Constant crashing on modern Radeon GPU's?

mattlach

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
Massachusetts
Hey everyone,

I just started picking up Red Orchestra 2 again. There aren't many active servers left, but it can still be fun.

Since I have started running it again, I upgraded from my old Pascal Titan X to a Radeon RX 6900xt.

The game keeps freezing.

I have already done all the normal troubleshooting steps (verifying game integroity in Steam, reinstalling distributables, etc. and Windows 10 is a resonably recent clean install.

Occasionally I will get through certain maps with no issues, but others constantly freeze the game, within less than a minute of joining a map.

I have disabled PhysX Hardware acceleration (as I don't think that would work on AMD hardware anyway), and other more modern settings like Smart Memory access to no avail.

When this happens, the screen freezes, but the music keeps playing. I am able to do a ctrl-alt-delete and select task manager, but the game covers the entire screen and won't let me switch to the task manager to kill the process. I usually solve this by signing out on the ctrl-alt-delete screen and signing back in again.

I am running the hardware at stock settings (no overclocks) and the system is rock stable in everything else I've thrown at it, including modern very heavy games, and endlessly looping 3DMark Firestrike.

Abbreviated specs are:
AMD Radeon 6900xt
AMD Threadripper 3960x (24C/48T)
64GB of RAM

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Some googling suggests that it might be a newer Radeon problem? Is that accurate?

If it is not the GPU, is the Threadripper maybe confusing the game by giving it too many threads to render on? This has happened in some older titles, like Sid Meier's Civilization V which would crash after a few minutes if running with too many threads available. I had to pass a special command line option to the game to limit how many threads it would try to use. 3DMark also does not like SMT on this CPU, providing awful performance unless I disable it. I tried just disabling SMT, and running it on just on 24 cores, but this did not help. (It may not have been enough though).

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have!

Last edited:
Upvote 0