• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Confused BSP or Statics?

Divinehammer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Sunny, Obamalot
It seems like there is lots of talk bouncing around about what will be used to make structures. When HOS was first announced I heard that all buildings will need to be made in 3dsmax and they will all be statics or made of statics. Then other threads have talked about using BSP because it occludes sounds which seems ideal. I dont see a reason to make a 3 story building out of statics if it wont occlude sound.
So are we really changing up the build process here or is it really more like it was in ROost?
Is the formula going to be something like outside structures like a chickencoop or outhouse or half wall will be a static and building shells and inner walls will still be carved BSP? I dont want to get into building some bsp shells only to find I cant use them.
It would be nice to know exactly what can be imported from UnrealUDK and what cannot.

everything beside a flat rectangular piece of wall is mesh imo.
How do you think you will get the details with BSP, even with normal mapping applied (then there is the question how you would bake a normal map without creating a mesh, and then you can use the mesh as base in the map as well)

Upvote 0
When i started with the present engine I worked with the UT editor.
I made all buildings like we I used to do when i made maps for RO.
BSP combined with meshes to spice them up. Then I was told and read
more about it myself that it was better to use static meshes. I was told the engine
would calculate static meshes faster as the engine is optimized to render static meshes.
So I changed my approach to Static mesh.

Two topics on other boards which might shine some light.

thoughts on bsp/mesh balance

BSP vs Static meshes

This is the topic on this board with more info.
this topic

Hope it all helps.

Upvote 0