• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Concerning MG recoil

LemoN

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006
Prussotroll's Bridge
Will Mg's primarily feature upwards or backwards recoil?

In the latest PAX video Ramm has stated that they are increasing MG recoil....
Mg's in Ostfront had unrealistic recoil because they didn't recoil backwards but upwards.

From a real life perspective I have to say that Mg's shouldn't have much recoil at all when deployed, especially with a good surface to put your bipod on (a table obviously isn't going to be as good as a patch of grass).

YouTube - MG34
This is a good example of what I mean, MG's should have a backwards recoil with a slight sight misalignment in their sights, NO UPWARDS RECOIL!

I have shot a 50 rounds belt with a Yugo MG42 myself btw.

Last edited:
You never asked one. You made a series of statements.... I responded with a statement of my own.

Ah crap, you are right. Sorry for that. :eek:
I asked the same question a few weeks ago when you replied to a question of mine regarding Mg accuracy.

Will the Mg's primarily feature upwards or backwards recoil?

PS: why has this been moved to Ideas and Suggestions? This is neither an idea, nor a suggestion.

Upvote 0
I like this idea, im always in favour of more true-to-life additions. Additionally I personally felt sometimes the MG42 Recoiled/ Bullet spread was a little excess at times, for example I could never mow more then one or two people at a reasonable distance of say 100 meters in game without having to stop firing and resort to firing in 3-5 round bursts to try and snipe the remaining running soldiers. P.s This was with the Mg stabalised on cover.

The Mg34 on the otherhand was much more accurate, even after prolonged bursts, with the MG42 however I felt its inncauracy made it possible for the enemy soldiers to hit the dirt and pick you off even whilst your still blazing rounds at them. In this sense maybe recoil should be controlled as the previous poster commented because at present I believe its a bit too much. Am I hiting a cord with some players or is it just me?

Cheers,
Sturm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The following clip shows that even the mighty MG42 is still perfectly controllable, even when fired from the shoulder YouTube - Kiwitedferny Texas Trip - part 6 :p

From 0:50

That was not the way the troops were trained to fire it from standing - as far as I know, from the hip, holding the bipod legs was. Still that is impressive control.

I've seen B&W photos of people firing from the shoulder but I'm fairly certain they aren't authentic and are of re-enactors etc.

Upvote 0