• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Concept/WIP] Alien Swarm UT24k mode for KF

Ah, I see. I noticed that when I was going through the source code. Didn't think anything of it back then. Still all and good.

I also figured out an alternative way. The skins are arranged by heirarchy. Let's say you have three objects with three different textures each. If you combine them, material 0 would be the first object you clicked, material 1 would be the second, and material 2 would be the third.

Anyway, the weapon package is getting on my nerves. No matter what name I give the dang .uc file, it keeps giving me an error.

Upvote 0
o.o

...sounds ominous...

Shot00121.jpg

Got the textures to work properly now. It's currently just a client-side reskin of the M41A since the package with the revised stats and FOV still won't compile.

Upvote 0
Hrmmm... I followed the instructions and successfully compiled the .uc files into one big .u file but when I play the game, they don't show up in the character select screen.

Does it have to be one .u file for each character?

As far as I know, yes.

Edit.

For each new character to work, they will require a unique extended PlayerRecordClass for them to be used as playable characters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As far as I know, yes.

Edit.

For each new character to work, they will require a unique extended PlayerRecordClass for them to be used as playable characters.
This is true. The way the system works is that it wont check for characters unless it is extending the PlayerRecordClass. This is the only way servers check for characters.

Upvote 0
This is true. The way the system works is that it wont check for characters unless it is extending the PlayerRecordClass. This is the only way servers check for characters.

You learn something new every day. Thanks. :D

UPDATE:

.U FILES FOR ALIEN SWARM MARINES

http://www.mediafire.com/?cxdmzodxd71nrra

IMPORTANT: Do not use these at the same time as the .upl files. I don't know what will happen but it sure won't be good.

Also, Crash's name is now IAF_Private_Crash instead of IAF_Private_Crash_Murphy. Easier to type.

CustomCharacters=IAF_Sergeant_Conrad
CustomCharacters=IAF_Corporal_Jaeger
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wolfe
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Bastille
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Crash
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Flynn
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Faith
CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wildcat

OP UPDATED

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RELEASED! CHECK OP FOR DOWNLOAD LINK

IAF 22A3-1 Assault Rifle

Shot00125.jpg

DESCRIPTION
The 22A3-1 is the standard issue combat weapon given to an Interstellar Armed Forces marine. Offering both high rate of fire, high velocity explosive tipped rounds and an underslung grenade launcher with a five-shot detachable drum magazine, this weapon offers significant versatility in the field, capable of taking down both small and large targets. Standard clip size is 98+1 rounds.

Upvote 0
Its working on the dead space server! Thanks a bunch! :)
That's some great news! I appreciate all the help you guys got me. Toss some screenies my way if you can. xD

Oh, seeing as you've successfully put several specimens in game, do you happen to have a tutorial handy on making them? Thing is, I've a model fully rigged with its own animations. The skeleton its using isn't from Killing Floor. Will I still have to re-rig it and re-animate it or can I just code it in?

Upvote 0
This is soooo cool, I am going to jump on the server soon to try them out.

Thank you thefirewarriors for all of your hard work on this, it is a great mod.

Oh, seeing as you've successfully put several specimens in game, do you happen to have a tutorial handy on making them? Thing is, I've a model fully rigged with its own animations. The skeleton its using isn't from Killing Floor. Will I still have to re-rig it and re-animate it or can I just code it in?

I think Hemi always re-rigs models to fit KF bones but if you want to use your own skel, it may be worth checking out Marco's Doom 3 mod.
All of his specimens have their own skeletons and animations.

One thing to watch out for though, is make sure you set the sockets up, as some of the code calls the original bone names and some call for socket names, so it will crash if you don't have them set up correctly.

Hemi/Benjamin or Marco will always be your best source of info on this though.

Upvote 0
I re-fit everything. Like TWI kinda does with the events. This way the Custom zeds can use the ragdolls of TWI. Otherwise you will run into a problem concerning the karma-data. These are all clientside and cannot be downloaded when you join a server.(like the music files)

Re-rigging is not that hard, and its fun to do. Just import the TWI bones and start painting envelopes. :)

Upvote 0
I re-fit everything. Like TWI kinda does with the events. This way the Custom zeds can use the ragdolls of TWI. Otherwise you will run into a problem concerning the karma-data. These are all clientside and cannot be downloaded when you join a server.(like the music files)

Re-rigging is not that hard, and its fun to do. Just import the TWI bones and start painting envelopes. :)

lol I forgot about the issue with Karma data but didn't Marco help Hunter out with that, with the zombie mod he made?

Heheh may be easy for you being a pro at it :) but man, I stink when it comes to rigging.

Upvote 0
lol I forgot about the issue with Karma data but didn't Marco help Hunter out with that, with the zombie mod he made?

Heheh may be easy for you being a pro at it :) but man, I stink when it comes to rigging.

Im not a pro :eek:

I dont think Marco helped Hunter with that...seeing he had the same problem with the RE mod and that was the reason he stopped working on it I believe.

Here's a simple trick to reskin characters or zeds :

Say we want to rig a character from a different game.

0. Open your original monster in 3ds max. This has the bone-names that eg DeadSpace uses, so we need to make those KF based. But were not renaming all the bones.

1. Freeze the entire monster including the bones.

2. Import in the same file a PSK without any bones...just the mesh. (import PSK, freeze the mesh and remove the bones) And remove the skin modifier or just rightclick and convert to editable mesh.

3. Unfreeze all

4. Scale the KF zed to the same height as the Deadspace monster

5. Now use the bones of the original DS monster and repose it so it (kinda)fits the KF-Zed

6. Remove the the KFZed and rightclick on the DS monster and make it a editable mesh (removing the skin modifier)

7. ReImport the mesh and bones of the KFZed.

8. Freeze the KFZed and bones again

9. Scale the deadspace character to match the KFZed

10. Remove the KFZed mesh

11. Apply a new skinmodifier on the DS monster

12. Add all the bones in the skinmodifier (its a small list when you scroll down)

13. Load up a psa animation file of the KFZed, say a attack or idle one (this will look weird and distorted)

14. Click on the "edit envelopes" button and click on the vertexes checkbox (underneath the edit envelopes button)

15. Scroll down in the skin modifier and click on the "Paint Envelopes" button

16. Now select say CHR_LeftCollarBone in the skinmodifier bones listing

17. When you now go over the mesh with your mouse it will show a round circle which is the paintbrush for the paint envelopes function

18. Start painting and add weight were it needs it. (blue beeing very little weight and red beeing maximum weight)

I prob missed some stuff here and there, and there are various ways of doing this. Renaming bones beeing also an option, though a totally different process. But this is basically the technique I used for the deadspace models.

Upvote 0
Dang. If it needs 3dsMax then I'll have to wait till the weekend. T-T Let's hope I get it figured out before the trial expires. Or something.

Anyway, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks for the help! To tell the truth, I also suck at rigging and weighting. I ignored a lot of bones in the Assault Rifle model and just adjusted the FOV so no one could see my crime. xD

Here's the model I want to rig into a specimen. I forgot to mention that it is already from an Unreal Engine 2 game:

RAWR.jpg

It's an alien drone (aka Brute) from Alien Swarm, insanely fast buggers that can take down an armored marine in several blows.. Now I know it's butt-ugly and extremely sparse on details, but I want to have, like, thirty of these things rushing the team at the same time without causing any major performance hits.

Besides, with KF being KF, everyone's (with some rueful exceptions) probably too busy shooting and dying to admire their glorious 256x256 textures.

Oh, and they come in twelve different colors/patterns. Pretty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0