• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Computer will not load either operating system

=GG= Mr Moe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
Here is the situation and I am guessing it is a hardware problem.

My computer boots up but will not load either operating system even in safe mode or any of the modes for that matter.

- In safe mode the last line that shows up on the loading screen is C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll and I get nothing after that.
- I have a dual boot computer with XP and Win 7 each on its own physical hard drive. Also a separate storage drive. Never had problems booting either operating system before.
- I have two video cards, so I removed and tested each individually in the first slot. Neither worked alone or together.
- Currently running memtest on the memory while I am at work. Of course computer goes down on a day I have a double shift :/
- I checkeed the files on the drives with an old Symantec recovery disc and it appears my personal files on the drives are fine, not to mention I have duplicate copies spread out on all three drives anyways.

I have not yet:
- disconnected the hard drives and connected each of the XP and Win 7 drives up separately. I had a storage drive that failed in the past and computer would not start unless I disconnected it from the motherboard.
- Individually checked each stick of memory other than the current Memtest I am running.
- Removed sound card just in case that is causing the problem.

Any suggestions on what I should do or check next?

I will be honest, if its the cpu or the motherboard I will just build a new system. Almost everything in the computer is nearly 5 years old but since I have been able to run ROHOS with Ultra settings I decided to hold out on a new build.

Thanks in advance and have a better day than I am having!

I should add that I did have the computer running briefly this morning. As I was loading up my browsers, morning routine check email etc I got a quick notification that Outlook must be shut down before a restart... odd. I usually get that message when I (manually) go to shutdown or restart and have Word or Outlook still open on the desktop.

Then the computer restarted by itself and that is when the problems began (see first post obviously)

Upvote 0
Funny, I have had a similar issue that drove me MAD...
Good think I have many pc's so I had spare parts to test.

I tested a different cpu, memory and videocards... I could get it booting once in a blue moon with a low end videocard and downclocking the cpu and ram... I managed at one point to have it booting stock, worked for 3 days till bsod and never reboots past windows logo.

In my case I rmaed the motherboard back to my supplier and now using a spare E8400 with 8800GT while I wait... it still runs everything really well.

For your PC, if windows doesn't load at all, I recommend running strictly the Windows 7 OS drive, if it fails to get in windows, run the startup recovery. It usually works pretty well.

I still find it odd that both your OS's would crash, unless maybe you always used the windows 7 and literally forgot your XP untill now... then who knows what could have happened to it.

Besides that, try getting to windows with bare minimum. 1 stick of ram, 1 harddrive, onboard video if available.

If you have spare parts that fit, that is when they come really really handy.

If you have a spare computer, you can try your harddrive in the spare and run a chkdsk command within the other computer's OS. I have had luck fixing some corrupt xp drives that way... not sure about windows 7

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips.

I used Win 7 but kept XP up to date every 4 to 6 weeks and it was current less than a week ago.

I did get to the command prompts and ran chkdsk out of the dos window and all seemed fine.

Startup recovery did not work, but I did not take out the spare drives and test one at a time yet.

So I have 2 Vid cards, 4 sticks RAM and 2 drives with OS on them. Will try using them one at a time and maybe find the culprit. I have a hunch its a hardware failure somewhere and if I'm reasonably sure its the cpu or motherboard, then its time for a new build.

Again, thanks!

Upvote 0
Ok, wasn't the battery, so I disconnected by Win 7 hard drive and the computer started right up with my Windows XP Drive. Good thing I keep everything up to date on the XP drive!

--------------

OK, that might mean I have a problem with the hard drive itself or maybe the master boot record on the Win 7 drive?

Does anyone know how to check the drive knowing if I reconnect it, I will likely not be able to boot back up?
- Can I set up a different boot order in setup?
- How to check/fix/replace the mbr on the Win 7 drive if that is it. I have an old Symantec recovery disc that may be able to, but its prior to Win 7 came out. Don't know if that will make a difference.

In the end, I could always reinstall Win 7 if the mbr was the problem and can't fix that, but then what might have caused it?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Every hard drive manufacturer has a utility on their website that you can save to a CD and then boot into it. The utility will have the ability to do a thorough error check. I'm a chronic OS reinstaller and everytime I do one I always write zero's to the entire drive with one of these utilities before reinstalling.

What brand of drive is the Win 7 on? Use the XP drive to get to the internet and save the utility to a CD, then change the boot order in BIOS to boot from the CD and run the error checking from the CD on the Win 7 drive. If that doesnt show anything wrong with the drive, then I would write zero's to it and start over.. but I'm one of those freaks who likes a fresh reinstall every other month or so :D

Upvote 0
Do you run a disk defragmentor in the background. Something like Diskeeper?

I had a BOSD from a fluke video driver error. The Master Boot record was fubared, but only for the O/S. To save all the stuff I reinstalled Win7 on another hard drive. As I could access the fubar drive (I just couldn't boot from it), and though I had to reinstall all my programs, I was able to save my data, pics, and other stuff one tends to collect over the years.

Upvote 0
Well so far, I did a Chkdsk including full surface scan and it was clean and everything smooth.

Ran a full scan with Ad-Aware and it was clean.

Ran a full scan with AVG and it picked up one trojan, (generic28.BLIO) and I got rid of that. It wasn't there on the weekend when I did my last scan which I usually run weekly. I should note that the rootkit scan did not pick this up but the virus scan did.

Currently running Malwarebytes and clean so far, but not yet finished.

I do not have any defragmenters set to run automatically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ever thought of trying Spinrite? [url]http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm[/URL]

I used it years ago (when it was free). I'm not usually one to quibble about prices too much, but it is a bit pricey now. Having said that, it was really a great program back in the day. Were it half the price, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it just based upon my previous experience with it.

Upvote 0
Ever thought of trying Spinrite? [url]http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm[/URL]

I used it years ago (when it was free). I'm not usually one to quibble about prices too much, but it is a bit pricey now. Having said that, it was really a great program back in the day. Were it half the price, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it just based upon my previous experience with it.

It does sounds good, except for the price. I can buy an extra hard drive for that and just back up my data. Hey already do that!

------------------------

Ran all my malware scans and my antivirus scans (twice) and I only came up with that one problem which may not even be related. Everything seems smooth at the moment.

Upvote 0