• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Computer Upgrade

HeadClot

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2010
Utah, United States
Ok, I am looking to upgrade my PC mainly for Game Development. I have 100.00 a month left over every month. So I can afford some stuff just not the top end (At least for a while).

What I will be using it for -
Game Development (Cryengine 3/UDK)
3D Applications (3DS Max)
Fluid Simulations (Blender)
Detail Work (3D Coat)

If any one can give me some advice what parts I should get it would be appreciated.

Current System:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz
RAM: 4 GB (DDR2)
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
Video Card: XFX 5750 1 GB
Hard Drives: (2x) Western Digital 750 GB
Power Supply: Thermal Take 600 Watts Tough Power

Future System:

CPU: ? (Intel/AMD)
RAM: ?
MOBO: ?
Video Card: XFX 5750 1 GB (Temporary)
SSD: ?
Storage Drives: (2x) Western Digital 750 GB (From Current)
Power Supply: Rosewill 500 Watt

Current System:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz - Buying a quad or more would highly benefit you rig.
RAM: 4 GB (DDR2) -RAM is getting pretty cheap nowdays, considering to how much you need anyway. Having at least 8gb is latly a given for gaming and demaning software.
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L -You may need a new one depending on supported ram and CPU socket.
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium -If you are buying a new Mothercard remember to keep your Legit key if you have one.
Video Card: XFX 5750 1 GB -Better GPU is good for moddeling and such, CPU for SDK/UDK.
Hard Drives: (2x) Western Digital 750 GB
Power Supply: Thermal Take 600 Watts Tough Power -Ok for medium/high rigs

Future System:

Video Card: XFX 5750 1 GB (Temporary)
Storage Drives: (2x) Western Digital 750 GB (From Current)
Power Supply: Rosewill 500 Watt -Huh? Are you downgrading from a 600W PSU!?

That's my advice, for what it's worth.

Upvote 0
Just buy a new MB,cpu and ram and you are good to go.

Just last week I changed my e8400 @3.00ghz/ 4 go ddr2ram and MB.

Now
Intel i5-2500k.
8 (2x4) go ddr3.
Asus P8Z68 MB.
GTX460.
650w.
500 giga 7200 hd.

I am very pleased with the result.
Photoshop is very happy and BF3 has doubled its fps.

I would have liked to invest in a ssd (320) but I'll wait a little for the prices to drop.

With the above items the next upgrade is built in, Ijust need to add more ram and overclock the cpu.
I had to buy a new DVD drive because my old one was a standard IDE connection.

Upvote 0
You don't have to buy it all at once, but you do need to start with a good motherboard that has some future in it, that supports a lot of DDR3 RAM, and high end CPU's, which you might need at some point, so don't cheap out on the Mobo, get something solid with some future in it.

RAM, you will need lots of it, and of good quality, developing games requires more RAM than playing them, so make sure your mobo supports lots of DDR3 of high clock freq. If money's really hurting, you can start off with 8GB of DDR3, but for development that's not much..
I can recommend Corsair Vengance RAM, Corsair makes good RAM with good quality control, and the Vengance series is high end but still reasonably priced, you can pick up a bundle pack of DDR3 PC1600 supricingly cheap, and with RAM prices beeing as low as they are right now, it's definately the right time to buy.

As for CPU, you'll want a Quadcore atleast, for starters you can start off with a respectable I5 that exceeds 3Ghz, but do buy a mobo that supports the higher end I7's, as you may want to look at those some time down the line as the multithreading is said to be very usefull in 3D work especially (they cost a bunch though, and right now you should rather spend the money on tons of RAM, so just keep it in the mind for the future).

As for the rest, you could use a beefier PSU and certainly a better Vid-card, but it's not critical, it can come later when you've got the budget for it, right now you should focus on a really good mobo, definatly buy a lot of RAM whilst it's still cheap, and a respectable Quadcore, that should give you the start you need.

Also considder external backup storage, again it can come later, but don't wait to long. Backing up your stuff can be a life saver, just imagine losing a 90% compleated game due to sudden HDD death... *shudders*.

Upvote 0