• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Company of heroes

tanks do have hitpoints, but there is a basic penetration system, not all shells will do damage. Like in RO angling will cause shells to bounce off :)

and side and rear shots will do more damage too

kinda like the earlier RO tank system actually...

TOW is a wargame, COH isn't but it's still lots of fun IMO. There is no strategy in TOW, it's all tactical baby
And at least you have mortars and can put units into buildings unlike TOW :D

don't worry expect a glut of realism mods for COH...
and maybe different countries and theatres too..I think a pacific theatre mod will work wonders for COH. Especially the island hopping scenraios between the Japanese and Marines. Where armour wasn't a big factor. For the Marines I can see naval bombardment as a special ability, and Kamikaze banzai rushes for the Japanese :)
The Japanese should be really good at building bunkers and underground emplacements and booby traps...I used to live in Rabaul, Papue New Guinea, and there sure were a lot of bunkers and tunnels around!

the problem with COH is that the developers got confused along the way somewhere mixing up strategic and tactical. It doesn't quite work the way it should...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Faces of War is better imo, the only thing that relic has better done are the gfx.

Relic can't even develop a "smart" AI. The AI gets benefits over and over, they can see everything and they are perfect (micro management. and spending their resources). That's what makes them tough, not smart and something like that really pisses me off.
VS a normal guy it's already hell if the map is big, I've beaten normal on 2 vs 2 all the time, but even then the front was way smaller than on the 1 vs 1 map. Barbwire and tanktraps are your friend but they are so easy to destroy or just ignore (the AI is a master in that one).
Fighting off 2 Stugs on the right with other inf. units, goliaths and then getting sniped left also with inf. support is not fun. Especially if you wired and tanktrapped everything and you cannot get outside lmao *-.-
But if you don't do that they just rush to the points and cap them before you can even build obs points, they spam like mad.

I am not an uber rts player of course but in my point of view the normal AI is way better than the average player I have met during the multiplayer demo. There should be a stage between easy and normal, easy is way to easy ^^ it doesn't even build tanks other then 1 stug.

I have said it over and over again, defence abilities have to be way cheaper then they are right now. I mean a bunker with sandbags costing 25 fuel and 240 manpower is insane and they get blown up so quickly. Mines are expensive as hell but really do not help at all, they just damage the tank a little and that's it. Take faces of war for example, mines can destroy tank tracks or the entire tank (a few mines) and they are rather cheap. Anti tank abilities are too expensive, why does a sticky bomb cost 25 ammo? WHY?

This game is really fun online, but in my opinion it is not very well balanced. Even though all they had to do is lowering the cost of def. stuff.

Upvote 0
mods should do the trick, in the Dawn of war series, mods revived the game for me. Quite easy to change all the cost and values as you see fit.

especially the mod that shrinks the units down in size so the maps are twice as large. But that probbaly won't work as well for COH :)

anyway a quick tip, hold down the shift key while creating orders to queue em up. Works great for creating barbwire around cap points, or complex sandbag formation etc for engies while you go off to do something else

and don't waste manpower by building OP for manpower cap points, it will only pit out any extra manpower point and will take 3+ hours to recoup your costs from that

double delete to scuttle structures, works on sandbags too, especially if you get an engie stuck :)
Doesn't work on barbwire, but you can cut them with upgrade in place.

--

I didn't like FOW singpleplayer demo, but I will try the MP one, can you play it with the AI?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I love how a P-47 BOMBING RUN only damages a StuG for about 1/4 of it's hitpoints. That, and how my American AT gun does ****, while the German AT gun can mow through my Shermans.

Also, I can't figure out mortar teams at all. I set them up, they have clear sight of the enemy (far away and standing still), I choose to attack the enemy, and they "attack" by running right at the enemy, going for point blank range, then running around not knowing what to do.

Upvote 0
I play as the Germans, I love their equipment. I don't think they had a sniper around either. I notice how the American AT ****s and the German one rocks. Mortar teams are ok...you need to make a group of them for them to work right, and usually you don't have population room for them. Thats the thing I don't like "Population room" there is no such thing in combat. I think my next strategy is to completely bomb the hell out of everything, I want to make a bunch of mortar teams and halftracks and nebelwerfers, then sit on my side of the river and kill everything. By the way if you play as Germans don't make the elite mp44 soldiers, there is only 4 of them instead of the usual 6, and they have no upgrades, but apparently they are good fighters, unfortunately I made 3 groups of them and sent them right into the mouth of a crocodile :eek: all those elite troops were crispier than potatoe chips once the smoke disappated.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I love how a P-47 BOMBING RUN only damages a StuG for about 1/4 of it's hitpoints. That, and how my American AT gun does ****, while the German AT gun can mow through my Shermans.

Also, I can't figure out mortar teams at all. I set them up, they have clear sight of the enemy (far away and standing still), I choose to attack the enemy, and they "attack" by running right at the enemy, going for point blank range, then running around not knowing what to do.

probbaly a partial hit, if it hits dead on it will go boom. Just make sure there are no flak panzers or Flak 88 around...

Allied AT guns work better when they gain experience/Veterancy, once they get at least one strip they get much better, well more accurate. Axis units can buy veterancy.
This will only work if you buy an AT gun. Crewing an AT gun with other infantry don't seem to gain experience and are pretty crappy.
Allied AT guns have a narrower field of fire but can get armour piercing shells which increases damage but cost munitions, whereas Axis guns have cammo mode and wider field of fire.
If I see an Axis AT lying around after killing its crew I will usually grab it for my own use if I am Allied ;)

Mortars will normally fire on their own if they have line of sight

but in any case use the attack ground button, if they are out of range they will move to get within range, but won't actually run right to the enemy
I suspect you told them to move to enemy rather than attack it :)

Upvote 0
I play as the Germans, I love their equipment. I don't think they had a sniper around either. I notice how the American AT ****s and the German one rocks. Mortar teams are ok...you need to make a group of them for them to work right, and usually you don't have population room for them. Thats the thing I don't like "Population room" there is no such thing in combat. I think my next strategy is to completely bomb the hell out of everything, I want to make a bunch of mortar teams and halftracks and nebelwerfers, then sit on my side of the river and kill everything. By the way if you play as Germans don't make the elite mp44 soldiers, there is only 4 of them instead of the usual 6, and they have no upgrades, but apparently they are good fighters, unfortunately I made 3 groups of them and sent them right into the mouth of a crocodile :eek: all those elite troops were crispier than potatoe chips once the smoke disappated.

well you won't see or know a sniper is around in cammo mode unless he shoots and you can tell em to hold fire :)

the allied side can bomb everything too with howisters with the infantry command which is brutal, and way more destructive than anything the Axis can field except the V1 rocket!

well I finally beat the AI in normal mode on a 1000 point VPC just then as Axis using Defensive. Gotta love the Flak88! I didn't build any armour except one Puma. He pumpelled me with the howisters, but somehow I held him off.
VPC game mod is more fun and intense, especially if you don't go for the base - which is more war like

Upvote 0
I was a bit too defensive on my last time, I was holding my side of the river near my base and had 4 mortars with 3 star experience and two 88s which dominated everything that got close, and then I had 3 mg bunkers covering each other, but my flak 88 took out one and eventually they were destroyed, but no infantry could get within sight of those babies. Unfortunately I didn't have any infantry to capture more points because my unit limit was reached, and I didn't have anything to send out, I did send out an officer and he capped a point and made barracks in a church, and that PISSED off the Americans, right after that they bummed rushed me with about 8 tanks and a few flak half traks....argh! It was a mess.

Upvote 0
i like the game

about anti-tank weapons, you must use them sparingly

if all you have to counter the enemies tanks is a bunch of infantry units ( even with bazookas ) you're making a mistake somewhere

tanks fight tanks etc.

infantry can fight tanks in a pinch, but to be sure, you should ambush the tank with several anti-tank weapons if at all possible, in my experience just damaging the tank will often lead to the opponent withdrawing it for repairs

Upvote 0
check guys out guys!! I'm gonna to test it now! More maps to play with!!! :cool:
BTW you can download the MP beta, you can find it at many places. And I've linked to all the patches needed in this thread except up to v1.21, but if you have v1.17 then you have all the latest map files I think. Except without a beta key you can't play online, but with the AI done this way, you won't need to and can have a 2vs2 and a 3vs3 map :)

---

Is it illegal to add the maps from the mp beta in sp demo skirmish? :confused:

XkaOnslaught07-09-2006 10:17 PM LOL..i dont think you cant.. unless the AI is scripted into the map files itself..

KingTiger07-09-2006 10:37 PM Well, you can. Just replace the WW2Data.sga

[]inveigle[]07-09-2006 11:42 PM OMG you let the cat out of the bag! Glad it wasn't me.:umm:

ghodan08-09-2006 01:33 AM Wow it works!
Replace the singeplayer WW2Data.sga with the one from the multiplayer beta and u can play all the beta MP maps with de AI on scirmisch.
Just played a 1 hour match on the hill map with 5 ai players.

Geman08-09-2006 01:49 AM Wow what a great find!!!

jasaund08-09-2006 02:10 AM Lol, that diddn't take long. Well at least Relic seems cool with it for now.

=EKF=xDoctorx08-09-2006 02:37 AM I don't see how you guys prefer sp over mp...

(I never played any single player maps in CoH so I don't know anything bout the AI)

ghodan08-09-2006 03:40 PMI ts not the single player maps.
Its the multiplayer maps with a good ai.
Nice training tool. No lag irritation. No droppers. No lame players just good action and fun.

Give it a try.

XkaOnslaught08-09-2006 03:53 PM WW2art also needs to be copyed over else when you plat the maps, there will be missing textures :X

ghodan08-09-2006 04:53 PM Strange, i did not cop ww2art and i played the hill map. No missing textures/objects.

are u sure its needed?

deathblade08-09-2006 05:32 PM it's needed for hillaire.

XkaOnslaught08-09-2006 05:33 PM hillare has got missing textures with its needed =/ w/o it, they come out as boxes (feels like debug)

Upvote 0
Yeah I just got back from playing as the Axis... what a difference. Everything is so much better on that side. Mortar teams aren't retarded, AT guns can take out a Sherman with a few shells, those 88s are crazy. I love the rocket artillery you get with infantry side too. Also, an upgraded Grenadier unit is unstoppable. Combine two of those and a panther, and you're going to win. I took the whole allied base with just that.

Upvote 0