• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commissars House North and South 2nd floor?

The_Emperor

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2009
Milkyway
I was wondering why the there is no chance to use the windows on the 2nd floor. One of the loading screen pictures has a Russian mg team set up on second floor in Commissars North. I do not understand why you can't use this place in the game right now. Is there any specific reason for those rooms being closed? It would be nice to use the 2nd floor as Axis to survey Water Refinery and the movement in the foreground of Commissars North.

So open up the doors you looked when the game went retail.

Because it's already a shooting range for the Germans.

Not quite, it's not the map's responsibility that squadleaders and commander do not use smoke nades properly.

Smoke the approach to the Water Refinery and you cap it in no time. Axis can do nothing about it.
You can also attack Commissars North with smoke from the Water Refinery and you get in there quickly.

If smoke is used correctly you can close distances very well and fast.

Closing windows feels CoDish. It is no good that you can only use the same and same windows all over again. Opening up the second floor gives Axis a variety of new windows. B1 building has windows useable for Allies on 2nd floor aswell. Why not give Axis the same chance?
And on Commissars South Allies would gain more windows to shoot at the Germans. So both would profit from the "new" rooms.

Upvote 0
Not quite, it's not the map's responsibility that squadleaders and commander do not use smoke nades properly.

Smoke the approach to the Water Refinery and you cap it in no time. Axis can do nothing about it.
You can also attack Commissars North with smoke from the Water Refinery and you get in there quickly.

Closing windows feels CoDish. It is no good that you can only use the same and same windows all over again. Opening up the second floor gives Axis a variety of new windows. B1 building has windows useable for Allies on 2nd floor aswell. Why not give Axis the same chance?
And on Commissars South Allies would gain more windows to shoot at the Germans. So both would profit from the "new" rooms.

Haha, how is closing windows COD-ish? That is just a smidge too harsh... it's COD-ish the same way that closing windows was Halo-ish, Medal of Honor-ish, Half-Life-ish, Counter Strike-ish, Battlefield-ish... :p

The Germans can win from almost every capzone other than the Building B1. Commissar's North is difficult to hold once the South has fallen, but other than that, the Water Refinery, Commissar's House South, No Man's Land, and the Pharmacy are all very defensible, and have claimed many an Allied team. In fact, I've seen some good German teams effectively 'retake' the Building B1 after its capture, to devastating effect.

Besides, from a military standpoint--if I were the Hauptmann in charge of the sector, I'd view the Building B1 as almost indefensible in the long-term. Placing any troops in that structure would effectively cut them off from friendly forces as soon as the Russians attacked, and the building has no windows facing towards the Russian axis of advance. Far more practical to hold a line from the Water Refinery to the South Park.:)

Upvote 0

Based on your posts during the past few days, it seems that everything is CoDish to you.

Upvote 0
Well I said CoDish cause many many arcade shooter maps tend to have no windows where you exactly would wish one and more often normal buildings would have windows.

The thing is simple. I'm playing a realism shooter, so I expect a realistic surrounding and battlefield. In war actually any window could "hide" a person behind it. Now, ingame you sort of handout a certain amount of windows, that on several occasions will leave you vulnerable with no sight on the enemy at all.
Opening up the second floor rooms will give more challenge to the Allied sniper to take care of this threat. If maps do not have the environment "necessary" for some roles, you actually do not need them at all.

Take a good look at Grain Elevator, there's windows on every floor that can be used to shoot at attacking Germans. So why shouldn't you be able to do the same as Germans on Commissars?

Maybe you remember the map Kharkov from the Mod days. It was an awful map, with two streets cut through the town and almost no place to take cover if the enemy tank approached. My problem with this map to this day was the inability to enter a building, get to a certain room and window and open fire on the enemy.

You need windows facing the enemy, otherwise you do not need to defend it at all. You need to be able to take out attacking infantry. Imagine Spartanovka church had all windows facing the Germans blocked! It's actually annoying too that none of the houses on the left/right front is accessible. Would give more challenge to the map. Same for Commissars. Smoke nades would need more responsible usage and this is the team's issue, not the map's one.

Upvote 0