• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commander Choice Of Grenades

King Ragnar

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2005
Newcastle, UK
I look in the compiled suggestion's thread and could see anything realted to this although im sure there was a thread about it a while ago, but anway...

The commander desperately needs the choice of having either smoke grenades or normal frag grenades, i was playing this afternoon as the commander on odessa as axis and found myself dropping the smoke grenades immediately as i spawned in the hope that i could pick up normal grenades of a dead soldier.

So basically consider the idea of adding the ability for commander to choose between smokes and normal frag grenades.

I think its best as it is now:

People take the SL sometimes just for the weapon and don't throw smoke - imagine if they can take SL AND get nades as well..will make this particular issue of people taking the SL just for the weapon worse. How much will it **** as attackers when someone does this. I also reckon theres people that convince themselves that normal nades will be better for the team (when really they just want to get more kills for themselves)..attackers should always get smoke nades without the choice of normal ones (on most maps)

Yea it ****s to have smoke nades as defenders, but thats up to the map maker to sort out imo. They have just put smoke on all sides in all maps atm..some custom maps have normal nades for defenders. For now just do what you're doing (drop the smoke at spawn).

Upvote 0
Fair enough to have the choice for commanders, but I disagree and think smoke can be used defensively- especially , taking odessa example, when you are defending either last cap.

If I am attacking commander I don't always smoke the cap-zone itself- for certain maps where you know where the defenders are coming from I tend to smoke past the zone on their side. Then they cannot see into the cap zone, and come out of the smoke into the action blind- with not enough time to react to your positions and the are easier to gun down.

Likewise, let's say you are defending odessa- if you smoke a fair way up either or both the 2 streets approaching tower or especailly HQ (which IMO a clued-up Russ side should never leave as last cap anyway) then you can force the russ to engage when you want them too.
They have to come to you- but instead of picking you off from cover and accurately aiming their own 'nades and smoke, they now have to exit your smoke, badly exposed, where it is much easier to mow them down, especailly from MGs that they will find it much harder to locate and engage.This relies on an organised, tight defending team that know what they (and you) are doing, naturally.

I appreciate this tactic varies on situation - attacking the 3 bunkers on a map like Tula this kinda thing wouldn't help at all- you obviously need that smoke sitting on the front edges of the bunkers, to cover your lengthy approach- but thats a very different gameplay dynamic.

As squad leader on inf maps, and I don't know if others agree, but for me it's all about smoke. I get reletivly few kills on StaliKess/Krasni etc. but I'm not tight with the grey stuff.
I try to get right to the front and hope to be backed up by many teamates, as I am getting frequently shot making ensuring they don't when they cap.
Even when I'm killed, I'm just happy to come back with 2 more - I would probably trade my primary weapon for an extra 2-3 smokes anyway if I had the choice.

Upvote 0
Generally, I'm in favour of choice and it would be nice if the SL could choose their nades, but I have to agree with melipone, it seems best as it is. Too many people use the SL role as the last assault trooper, and giving them the option to use F1s or 39s would just add to this (tbh if the following was a realistic loadout for SL's to be equipped with, I'd be in favour of them getting rifles or even just pistols, so only the people who know their team is their greatest weapon use the class, but that probably won't happen, which may be for the best.)

Maybe the best solution would be to ask if any riflemen mind swapping nades, it may not work often but as one of these devout riflemen i prefer the idea of at least someone on my team having some smoke to drop. Or, crazy and unlikely thought, maybe give engineers the choice of smoke aswell? (seems a bit gamey, but it might help the situation.)

Upvote 0