• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Collision model

Le0

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2011
Neuchatel, Switzerland
I'm trying to make a collision model for my mesh and I did everything I needed, created the collision model with simple basic meshes and then named it UCX_meshname then I exported both the collision and the model out of 3ds max, but when I import it only the model is imported correctly but no collision is added to it (it says NO COLLISION MODEL!).

How must I do it?

I'm trying to make a collision model for my mesh and I did everything I needed, created the collision model with simple basic meshes and then named it UCX_meshname then I exported both the collision and the model out of 3ds max, but when I import it only the model is imported correctly but no collision is added to it (it says NO COLLISION MODEL!).

How must I do it?

• Make sure that you have a convex shape
  • Make sure that your collision mesh and your static mesh have the same pivot point
  • If you applied a smoothing group to your collision mesh (don't know why you would do it though :p), make sure that all the faces have the same smoothing group or simply remove the smoothing group(s)
  • Watch for any open gaps in your geometry
  • Double check the name of your SM and your CM

You can post a screenshot if you want!

Upvote 0
yeah of course but since this is a mesh I'd like to use a lot I'd prefer for it to have collision added automatically. I'll give it a try with just a plane again.

Also good to see you're still around Olivier, what are you up to these days? Still modelling random stuff?

Busy with school, it's my third night in a row with less than 2 hours of sleep. Working on a map atm. I'll have to complete the airplane I promised you a few months ago one day D;

Upvote 0
Oh you're making a map for RO2? Or is that for another game? Good luck with school! And don't worry too much about that plane, it's very nice of you to do it of course but I'm kinda rethinking of where I wanna go with this level design thing I'm not very good at ;)

Forced to make it on the UDK, which isn't that bad when you think about is since it's the same engine. But it would be nice if my teacher could somehow allow me to use the RO2 sdk :X

EDIT: Have you tried the automatic collision that is generated by the game engine? It works pretty well with objects that are not complex (especially with box-shaped SM).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hm we should start to talk about this again ^^. i still try it since 3 hours to get it working with fbx and UCX_meshname (UBX_ too)

is there annyyy trick? i tried out every different fbx version and a lots of options, but no sucess. i tried out too dae. ase i didnt have in my maya options (didnt found).

i tried cubes, the mesh it self. but allways if i import i got no collsion model like LEO always had.

any one any tipps??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can have more than one UCX to make up the collision. They must not overlap or be concave in any way. Open my map Yakovlevo and look at the collision models for any of the custom meshes. The stone bridge in particular was a lot of UCX's.

For performance reasons, per UCX keep the poly count low and faces (polys) as large as possible.

yeah sure, with the multiple cubes. but the problem is, that when i export both meshes into 1 fbx file and import them into sdk, i only get the mesh without the collision.

before it doesnt work with a simple cube, i dont need to test out complex meshes.

but i will check your custom meshes from yakolevo.

did you do it with max, maya, modo or blender?

Upvote 0
I use MAX. All my collison models were named UCX_meshnameXX, were XX was a sequencial number. XX could be some name as well, just as long as there's something appended to the end of the meshname.

Example for the stone bridge the were 50 seperate models: yakovstonebridge, yakovstonebridge_LOD1, yakovstonebridge_LOD2, UCX_yakovstonebridge01 through UCX_yakovstonebridge47. All exported in a single FBX.

From the UDN:

[url]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXStaticMeshPipeline.html[/URL]
[url]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXImporterUserGuide.html[/URL]

Upvote 0