• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] CnC Generals 2

I can't wait, it was my favourite C&C and IMO best multiplayer RTS after Starcraft.

Every faction was very different and quite balanced, the game had great humor, music was just awesome and different for every faction, the graphics engine was top-notch at the time(they used it until 2010) and provided massive battles with satisfying effects . . . and I can go on. No wonder the lead designer Dustin Browder was snatched by Blizzard, and he went on to design Starcraft 2 multiplayer as well.

I spent so many hours in multiplayer. You had so many absurd and clever strategies for every race and the result was differnt every time. Zero Hour made the game 100x more fun.Though, game support ended abruptly in 2004 without proper balancing of the factions and multiplayer suffered from it.

I really hope EA won't screw this like they cold bloodedy killed both Tiberium and Red Alert franchises. I like the teaser and I think Frostbite is an excellent choice, so they have a nice start IMO. It's just what kind of RTS experience Bioware has bothers me, they need someone in the caliber of Dustin Browder to pull it off. If they hire Bill Brown again for the soundtrack, then we'll have a masterpiece again. Just listen to this:

C&C Generals Zero Hour music (Main Theme) - YouTube

(You can download the whole soundtrack from Bill Brown's website http://billbrownmusic.com/musicG4.php )

Upvote 0
It's just what kind of RTS experience Bioware has bothers me, they need someone in the caliber of Dustin Browder to pull it off.

Most of the team is former cnc3/4 ra3 devs just reforming with a new name and refilling ranks. So really there is no clue what to expect, the only actually good cnc devs I know of now work for blizzard or started supergiant games.

That kind of worries me because it's really easy to make a bad RTS. Even sc2 has some really crap things in it but the game is still well balanced.

cnc3 and ra3 they didn't know wtf they were doing. It was pretty embarrassing to see cnc3 at WCG and have all the games devolve into 1 unit spam. At least generals has mechanics that make sense, ie gated economy, workers to build structures, no mcv, pay up front etc

Upvote 0
Most of the team is former cnc3/4 ra3 devs just reforming with a new name and refilling ranks. So really there is no clue what to expect, the only actually good cnc devs I know of now work for blizzard or started supergiant games.

That kind of worries me because it's really easy to make a bad RTS. Even sc2 has some really crap things in it but the game is still well balanced.

cnc3 and ra3 they didn't know wtf they were doing. It was pretty embarrassing to see cnc3 at WCG and have all the games devolve into 1 unit spam. At least generals has mechanics that make sense, ie gated economy, workers to build structures, no mcv, pay up front etc

I've made some research and you're right. They've cut Victory Games who was responsible for C&C within EA LA, and pasted into Bioware. EA LA is going to focus solely on Medal of Honor franchise it seems. Head of the new studio is the guy who made Heroes & Magic series though.

They just need to go back to roots, Generals already had mostly things right. No need to "desperately innovate" like C&C4 here, just improve what Generals did right, even copy-paste some units right in just like Starcraft did.

I'm a bit worried after reading the IGN interview though, at the "we'll have more variety in MP than you usually see" part. I hope they're not trying something crazy like "Create your own general" or "Unlock and combine multiplayer general stuff".

Upvote 0
I'm a bit worried after reading the IGN interview though, at the "we'll have more variety in MP than you usually see" part. I hope they're not trying something crazy like "Create your own general" or "Unlock and combine multiplayer general stuff".

I think that's exactly what will happen unfortunatly. I just hope there is a good game underneath all the gimmicky stuff.

Upvote 0