• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Close Combat thread

I loved the Close Combat games (up to 5 anyway, anything after that doesnt exist as related games IMHO) and i would still play them avidly if i simply could tolerate the useless AI anymore.

I am perfectly happy with the old 2D graphics, wouldnt want them updated even if the opportunity arose (though more destructable buildings etc would rock) i just WISH the pathfinding and general intelligence/agressiveness of the AI could be patched up to a better standard. If there was one thing truly annoyed me and ruined the game, it was ordering a tank to advance straight forward only to watch it do a 360 degree turn and drive backwards to the waypoint i had set right in front of it - that or insist on aiming its turret/gun RIGHT at an enemy then still insist on turning the whole tank around before firing it, giving the opposition about 15 seconds to hammer your arse. No amount of messing with the realism settings or options or using "move/sneak" or detailed waypoints to a location etc made the slightest difference for me.

Likewise i got annoyed as hell with maps where i was supposed to defend against "a massive soviet or german offensive" only for the supposedly advancing enemy to sit on their ass for hours requiring me to go looking for them! Thank god for a human opposition sometimes...

If the AI could somehow be improved, RealRed mod for CC3 with added custom maps and campaigns would still have a permanent home on my hard drive...it probably still would if i had the means and time to play it against humans any more as well. :(

Upvote 0
Wolfsglen said:
Likewise i got annoyed as hell with maps where i was supposed to defend against "a massive soviet or german offensive" only for the supposedly advancing enemy to sit on their ass for hours requiring me to go looking for them! Thank god for a human opposition sometimes...

A bit of the problem for me is that the attacker and the defender would too often be evenly matched, so that the defender would always win.

Upvote 0
It's not that hard to navigate really. First you'll need to register which only takes a moment, then everything you want is under downloads. For first timers there are also guides explaining in detail how to install the mods.

And yeah, CC kinda went downhill ("kinda went" now there's an understatement if I ever saw one) after CC5. What I wouldn't give for a new CC with updated graphics, much better AI and some nice new features while still retaining all the greatness of the previous games.

Upvote 0
Darkseed said:
Mind explaining exactly how combat mission is better? I haven't played it so I wouldn't know.

Bigger scale, more stuff(almost every vehicles, troops and artillery). Good 3d graphics. Semi-turn based("We go" system) which works like this:

both players set waypoints and commands to each squad, then they press "go" and the game calculates what happens in the next 60 seconds, then that 60seconds is showed to players in real-time, with the ability to watch it as many times as you want.

The game just rocks!

Upvote 0
combat mission is awesome indeed. however I was a total fan of the old cc3 and cc4... was among the top 30 in the MSN Ladder back in 1999-2000 ... too bad I threw away all the cds years ago. however, thanks to the lack of players and some gameplay issues (ladder play ended up in playing the same scenarios over and over again on the same maps with the same point settings, mortar and nebelwerfer spam got annoying in the woods and the AI was just too dumb, even in MP), I completly lost interest in this game.

I am still waiting for a successor which catches the gameplay feeling of cc and mixes it with modern graphics... but 2d please, CC in 3d would suck.

Upvote 0
I was an absolute CC fan. Its just those little details. Like for example in CC5 where soldiers who ran out of ammo would search for weapons and ammo on dead enemies.
And in my opinion CC3 was the best from the whole series.

I never understood the switch they made with CC: first to fight. Just another tactical shooter. Like I dont understand the switch the 'Commandos' series made.

Try the demos if you've never played any of the CC games.

Upvote 0
Hate to resurrect such an old thread, but I have the Longest Day and Wacht am Rhein re-releases, and I was wondering if Cross of Iron is worth getting. I read on the Matrix website that the max resolution is 1280x1024. Is this true?

Also, is there any news as to whether A Bridge Too Far will be modified and re-released?

Upvote 0