• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Close Combat thread

Last Stand Arnhem has been released, and the other games are on sale until July 9th. I rarely see sales at Matrix Games, so if you want to take advantage of this, it would probably be a decent time to do so.

I installed it last night - opened a couple of maps, and they look absolutely lovely, I think I'm really going to enjoy this. Didn't get a chance to play much but will go straight home from work today (good thing its raining :p )

I'm probably going to try h2h over Hamachi over the weekend, so crossing my fingers that the constant network crashes are now finally a thing of the past.

I see you're signed up for the Matrix forums Volodnikov, I am "stian" there btw :)

Upvote 0
Hows vechile pathing? Graphics are what they are oldskool, but i like their functionality. Has armour modeling being worked upon?

Vehicle pathing seems to be about the same so far, but if you utilize the waypoint system (holding down shift while plotting) it isn't a problem. I haven't really played that much though, maybe about two hours.

Upvote 0
Matrix Games has been re-releasing previous Close Combat games with fixes and updated features during the past couple of years. They started with Close Combat III as Cross of Iron, Close Combat IV as Wacht am Rhein, and Close Combat V as the Longest Day.

Last July they did Close Combat II as Last Stand Arnhem. It's more of a remake than the other releases, the maps are completely new, the graphics are on par with Close Combat V, there's a campaign map similar to that of Close Combat IV and V, and other there's added features. Technically it's not a "new" game, but it's still pretty cool.

Upvote 0
Longest Day has all five landing beaches right? I might have to get a copy of that.

Yes it does, the Grand Campaign is huge.

Where are they being sold?

As far as I know, only at the Matrix Games website. And unfortunately Matrix Games is kind of expensive, but I'm sure diehard wargamers don't mind. The games don't seem to be sold anywhere else for some reason.

Upvote 0
One cool thing I'm noticing in Longest Day is that the voices are squad-specific, so if you're fighting a battle between Osttruppen and Canadians, you'll hear German, Russian, American English, British English and maybe even French :eek:

I'm also noticing that concealment seems more effective than it used to be, and attacking is a real pain lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0