• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Classic Mode"

I was just thinking about the KFMod and such, when it occured to me: why don't we have an official or community Classic Mode? And what do I mean by Classic Mode? I mean, apply the old co-op gamemode of the Killing Floor Mod to retail. For those of us who have not played this mod, I'll outline the differences I'm thinking of.

1)No ending wave. The Patriarch was added in retail, and in the Mod, it was infinite waves growing in difficulty. Now, the patty could still participate, but if he did, the game would not end with his death.

2)Perks are not an over-arching thing to level, but more like a match-based acheivement. In the Mod, you began with no perks at all, but, depending on what you do during the match, you can earn a perk to the menu. Perks are not the goal, but another means to reach that goal.

Of course, some tweaking would be a nice idea, but that's about the basics for ya.:D

Reactions: VariousNames
Hmmm....certainly worth a consideration.

It's just how it makes you think in-game. It's like in that Aliens movie when you're playing biolab, you hold out against a seemingly endless wave in your safe spot with all the spare guns and ammo and you come to that "Oh arse, run!" moment where you have to run for your lives whilst still shooting to get to another safe spot. Funsies. (I love being chased/victimised in games, I dunno why.)

Upvote 0
It's just how it makes you think in-game. It's like in that Aliens movie when you're playing biolab, you hold out against a seemingly endless wave in your safe spot with all the spare guns and ammo and you come to that "Oh arse, run!" moment where you have to run for your lives whilst still shooting to get to another safe spot. Funsies. (I love being chased/victimised in games, I dunno why.)

well, the more you talk about it, the better and more balanced it sounds. People buying are not killing, so the team is less prepared if the line breaks. The only thing would be that zeds have problems with the retail trader spaces, so a new solution to where you could buy mid-wave would have to be made...but thats a relatively small problem.

Funsies. (I love being chased/victimised in games, I dunno why.)
Frued would have a lot to say about that! :p ;)

Upvote 0
I do this all the time with my friends. Using the local perks mutator stored in a read-only text file, we play mission maps or sandbox mode starting at level 0 perks, typically on normal difficult because of lack of decent perk bonuses and some of my friend have played less than 50 hours. Great fun and a good break from typical KF. I was looking into making a roll-back perk system earlier this year, but have never got around to it.

Upvote 0
2)Perks are not an over-arching thing to level, but more like a match-based acheivement. In the Mod, you began with no perks at all, but, depending on what you do during the match, you can earn a perk to the menu. Perks are not the goal, but another means to reach that goal.

whoa. Hang on. Are you saying that in KF 1.0, perks progressed per match and reset at the beginning of each new match?

That's kind of like Warcraft 3's hero levels....me likey. To the point where i might have to get this mod.

Upvote 0
whoa. Hang on. Are you saying that in KF 1.0, perks progressed per match and reset at the beginning of each new match?

That's kind of like Warcraft 3's hero levels....me likey. To the point where i might have to get this mod.

No. You had to meet various requirements to unlock perk bonuses. It is explained in this page (http://www.kf-wiki.com/wiki/Killing_Floor_Modification#Perks). KF stored the perk statuses per server and you could wipe them, if you so chose. Also listen and dedicated servers from the same computer kept different records. As long as you kept using the same server, then you could keep your perks, but it wasn't that big of a deal if you lost them.

Upvote 0
I never got a chance to play the old KF Mod, don't own the old UrT games.

This 'Classic Mode' sounds fun, there's a couple of maps that I've tried that are 'CE' based, custom edition and they do tend to strike up the game play, especially the limits of certain weapons being unavailable, makes matches much more unique. (Not to mention harder but that's welcome)

Me likeh the idea. XD

One thing I'd like to see, since killing the Patriarch results in GG, what about the specimens that survived? I like the idea of after killing him, it becomes endless...or another one, how about some 'extraction'? Fighting hoards of Zeds to reach a CP, like a Helicopter, escape being the true endgame after the climax of beating the Patriarch.

This would no doubt add to the game play and give it a small *but notable* addition to the missing storyline. Fighting up to the big waves, hit the climax with the Patty, then the conclusion of extraction.

Just an idea. From seeing so many crashed Helicopters and dead pilots. :(

Upvote 0
Maybe have several trader points and each point will only have so much ammo or only certain/limited weapons so if someone is going for support and the trader you're currently at doesn't have a shotgun then you have to fight your way to a trader that does. Which would be kind of like a gamble as well because what if the trader you fought hard to get to doesnt have a shotgun either.

Upvote 0