• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Choice of spawning weapon for lvl6?

Salad Snake

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
So I was looking at the Hunting Shotgun technique thread in the tactics subforum, and how some people wish they'd stayed lvl5 simply because the Hunting Shotgun is not the best wave 1 weapon.

This got me thinking: Why not give lvl 6 players 2 small added buttons on the perk select screen (perhaps in place of the progress bar, or alternately next to the perk name) to select your starting weapon? Just two weapon silhouettes, one lighted to show which was selected?

Of course, this would only be useful with SS, Commando, and Sharpshooter. But I figured I'd just throw out the suggestion and see what people thought.

Reactions: mamoo
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I would even like to choose fire axe over chainsaw as a lvl6 berserker.

But that matter was discussed before, use search before you post new thread.

My apologies. However, I'm glad that this suggestion is getting positive feedback. :)

Perhaps if the Firebug gets a new weapon he can be added to the list of perks this would be applicable to?

Upvote 0
My apologies. However, I'm glad that this suggestion is getting positive feedback. :)

Perhaps if the Firebug gets a new weapon he can be added to the list of perks this would be applicable to?
If support spawned with a shotty+armor, i'd still hope that the shotty would have more than base ammo in it. At least give us a full shotgun/AK/Flamethrower/bullpup/whatever when we reach level 6. It's so annoying running out of ammo and having to use your pistol.

Upvote 0
wat
AK is awesome! :(

I wouldn't mind this feature too, but I'm pretty sure I'd end up picking th HS anyway :D

Well the whole Bullpup Vs AK-47 is a big debate, IMO. I've always preferred the Bullpup due to it's almost-nonexistant recoil, its high rate of fire, solid damage for a lv6 and it's lovely accuracy. It's a naughty little headshot machine.

The AK however, I find the sights a little iffy, the recoil a bit high, the ROF a bit low and the accuracy a bit "off." Of course, I'd rather be packing this than a bullpup if I were to face a heavy ZED. It's a great unperked weapon. I love to spawn as commando and switch to demo or medic with the AK as a backup weapon. The AK merely sits as the balance between the 'pup and SCAR; its stats are pretty much bang in the middle of these two weapons. I always take the Pup-SCAR combo when playing seriously. For funsies, I take the AK with a shotgun powered by commando bonuses, or I use the AK for other perks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the whole Bullpup Vs AK-47 is a big debate, IMO. I've always preferred the Bullpup due to it's almost-nonexistant recoil, its high rate of fire, solid damage for a lv6 and it's lovely accuracy. It's a naughty little headshot machine.

The AK however, I find the sights a little iffy, the recoil a bit high, the ROF a bit low and the accuracy a bit "off." Of course, I'd rather be packing this than a bullpup if I were to face a heavy ZED. It's a great unperked weapon. I love to spawn as commando and switch to demo or medic with the AK as a backup weapon. The AK merely sits as the balance between the 'pup and SCAR; its stats are pretty much bang in the middle of these two weapons. I always take the Pup-SCAR combo when playing seriously. For funsies, I take the AK with a shotgun powered by commando bonuses, or I use the AK for other perks.
I prefer the AK over the Bullpup myself. The percentage damage increase means that the damage difference between the two gets further and further apart with each level, so a level 6 AK does substantially more damage than a level 6 Bullpup. As for sights, I'm more of a mental crosshair kind of guy. Recoil never bothered me too much either, as I rarely spray and pray with it. All a matter of taste I guess.

Upvote 0
I prefer the AK over the Bullpup myself. The percentage damage increase means that the damage difference between the two gets further and further apart with each level, so a level 6 AK does substantially more damage than a level 6 Bullpup. As for sights, I'm more of a mental crosshair kind of guy. Recoil never bothered me too much either, as I rarely spray and pray with it. All a matter of taste I guess.
I too prefer the AK, but that's because i rarely ironsight with any weapon. The AK is a bodyshot machine and a great way to get damage points when you're leveling commando. I found i got too many headshots with the bulpup which netted me less damage. So i switched to the AK and started to level faster.

After you play with the AK for a while the bulpup just seems weak because of its nonexistent recoil and low bodyshot damage.

Upvote 0
That would be so cool!

Medic:
Combat Armor + MP7
or
Tier 2 weapon for Medic

Support:
Shotgun(filled or 3 clips missing or hslg filled)
or
Hunting(filled)

Sharpy:
Crossbow(half filled)
or
Lever Action(filled) or Handcannon(filled)

Commando:
Bullpeg(filled)
or
AK(filled)

Zerker:
Fire Axe with Armor
or
Chainsaw with Armor

Firebug:
Flamer(half filled) with Armor
or
Tier 2

Demo:
Pipes + M79(3 clips missing)
or
M32(half filled)

For a example. The half-filled makes it so people won't abuse it then just sell the extra weapon or something.

Upvote 0
Getting headshots means less damage?

HA! I knew something was wrong somewhere. :IS2:
I think what he is referring to is the general case where the head health of a zed is less than the body health, so while you do more damage per shot with headshots, you deal more total damage by wearing out the body, which has more health. That said, the only benefit to dealing more total damage is leveling your perk, otherwise it's as silly as it sounds.

Upvote 0
I think what he is referring to is the general case where the head health of a zed is less than the body health, so while you do more damage per shot with headshots, you deal more total damage by wearing out the body, which has more health. That said, the only benefit to dealing more total damage is leveling your perk, otherwise it's as silly as it sounds.

I always thought that a headshot is meant to be a critical hit. Like, do more damage. I didn't think it was on a seperate healthbar.

Upvote 0