• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Chivalry 2 Closed Beta Starts April 23rd!

Get a sneak peek at The Siege of Rudhelm, a Team Objective map playable in full for the first time during the Chivalry 2 Crossplay Closed Beta. Pre-purchase for guaranteed access to the Closed Beta, April 23-26! Visit the Buy Now page to see all available storefronts (both digital and physical - Digital purchases only will gain access to the closed beta).

Also keep a look out across social media, as partners have keys for the beta and will be giving them away in the coming days!
If you grab a key, details on how to redeem can be found at the KB here: https://support.chivalry2.com/en/knowledgebase/article/redeeming-a-key

Combat Guide

Press Previews
Video

Write Ups
Taken from the Chiv 2 FAQ - https://chivalry2.com/faq/
  • Massive scale: 64 players in sprawling, multi-stage Team Objective maps, complete with epic castle sieges, forest ambushes and good old medieval pillaging.
  • Next-gen visual leap: AAA presentation. Unreal Engine 4.
  • Revamped Combat System: All new combat moves, a weighty and physical animation system and new, faster and more natural combat flow re-establish the Chivalry franchise as the best melee combat system ever made.
  • Expanded sandbox: Battlefields are littered with things to interact with. Grab a chicken, set it on fire and throw it; improvise a new fighting style with pitchforks – or tomatoes!
  • Enhanced player expression: What fun is stabbing without screaming? All new over the top characters and thousands of voice lines along with deep character customization provide incredible options for player creativity and roleplaying.
  • Battered and bloodied: Keep fighting with missing limbs or even if downed and gasping your last breath. Chivalry 2 is about the feeling of survival against the odds and – if you do go down – the opportunity to make it a glorious death.

Combat​

How does combat work?​

Chivalry (2012) pioneered a combat system that brought sword fighting to the multiplayer FPS genre. For Chivalry 2, we have taken the foundation of Chivalry 1’s combat and revamped it to allow for far more dramatic and engaging fights at all skill levels.

Left click to swing, hold for a heavy attack, right click to parry. The mouse wheel performs stabs and overheads. Duck under swings or leap into strikes. Combo attacks – flowing from one to another in a whirlwind of steel. Riposte as a fast counter after blocking. A revised feinting system lets you play intense mind games with foes and gives another layer of control for the master swordsman.

Weapon attacks and blocks are weighty and satisfying, adding the proper amount of crunch as your sword sinks into your opponent’s skull.

We have added a variety of new attack types and adjusted the flow of combat to be more natural, flowing, faster and dynamic. Whether fighting in groups or 1 on 1, the rush of combat will leave your heart pounding and provides a true opportunity for players to create their own playstyle and master the system over time.

What about the ballerina moves / dragging exploits?​

Right, we’ve fixed those. A major development focus for Chivalry 2 has been a complete rework of the animation and movement systems to ensure that combat both looks and feels weighty and satisfying like a medieval game should. In a multiplayer game it is critical that when you die you feel you understand how you could have done better. Visual indication of all actions must be clear and readable. Chivalry 1 did not meet these standards, and over time combat became understandably frustrating – especially against high skill opponents.

Our new approach is focused on ensuring that the transfer of momentum from strikes and adjustments players can make in real-time is at the right balance of visually understandable, physical in appearance and still gives players a true sense of control over their swings.

Chivalry 2 will capture the promise of what Chivalry 1 should have been in terms of its hit detection reliability and combat depth, without forcing players to resort to silly/frustrating tactics.

Will there be mouse dragging?​

Yes, accelerating or slowing down your attacks by moving the mouse as you swing (simulating the torquing of your hips) remains an important part of Chivalry 2’s combat system. It is what makes it feel like you can lean into your strike, and aim with the precision you would expect from an FPS.

Dragging is an essential feature which separates our combat system from a canned animation system. However we have taken great efforts to make sure that combat looks realistic and have avoided moves that are confusing or look like exploits. As such, reverse drags will be limited. Swings will have a higher sense of momentum, able to be adjusted but not without commitment during a swing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for Tripwire and run this stuff.
View all 254 featured items
I know I'm quite well-known for being the sarcastic asshole 'round here, but what are the big changes?

I mean, I could see very well what improvements were made when the humble "Age of Chivalry" mod got turned into its own fully-fledged game. But the jump from the first to the second game is a bit more... subtle I guess?

Is there any place where I can find a detailed list of the new stuff planned for the sequel?

Otherwise, is there maybe an open beta planned in the future, to try it out?

Definitely glad the comedic aspects of the franchise is still there. As well as the ridiculously over-the-top gore!

Upvote 0
The short answer is, bigger, better, more epic and cinematic and a continuation of the Chivalry story line (20 years advanced). The game is also cross-platform between consoles and PC, bringing you more targets for your blade to fell. For a more involved read check below:

I've taken select portions of the FAQ and put them in the original post, which will help answer that question.

More Media Coverage
Reserved if needed.​

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0