• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound Chickennator robot voice

Vesuvian

Jul 16, 2013
Hey guys

I'm taking it upon myself to correct the issue where The Chickennator has the default male voice. So far I have written the following file:

Code:
// ChickennatorSpeciesRobot
//=============================================================================
// A better, faster, stronger Chickennator
// - Chris "Vesuvian" Cameron
class ChickennatorSpeciesRobot extends [COLOR=SandyBrown]SoldierSpeciesRobot[/COLOR];

defaultproperties
{
    SleeveTexture=Texture'KF_Weapons3_Trip_T.hands.ChickenNator_First_Person_Arms_D_'
    DetachedArmClass = class'SeveredArmChickennator'
    DetachedLegClass = class'SeveredLegChickennator'
}
And I have modified ChickenNator.upl to the following (spaced out here for readability):

Code:
[Public]
Player=(DefaultName="ChickenNator",
    Race="DRF",
    Mesh=KF_Soldier_Trip.ChickenNater,
    species=[COLOR=SandyBrown]KFmod.ChickennatorSpeciesRobot[/COLOR],
    BodySkin=KF_Solider10_Trip_T.ChickenNator.ChickenNator_Shdr,
    FaceSkin=KF_Solider10_Trip_T.ChickenNator.ChickenNator_Shdr,
    Portrait=KFPortraits.ChickenNater_Portrait,
    LockedPortrait=KFPortraits.ChickenNater_Locked_Portrait,
    Text="",
    Sex=Male,
    Accuracy=+2.0,
    Aggressiveness=+1.0,
    StrafingAbility=+2.0,
    CombatStyle=-1,
    Tactics=+2.5,
    FavoriteWeapon=XWeapons.RocketLauncher,
    Ragdoll=British_Soldier1,
    Skeleton=KFSoldiers.Soldier,
    Menu="SP",
    BotUse=1,
    VoiceClassName=[COLOR=SandyBrown]KFMod.KFVoicePackRobot[/COLOR],
    AttachedEmitter="ROEffects.CharFX_Feather",
    BoneName="CHR_Pelvis")
When I fire up the game and enter solo, I key out a voice comamnd and to my disappointment I hear the default male voice.

Now interestingly, If I set the species to SoldierSpeciesRobot I get the robot voice (but the robot arms as well). I don't understand how this works but my species sub-class doesn't. Any thoughts?

Slightly off topic: I'd like to release this as a Steam Workshop item so that other people can enjoy the fixed Chickennator. Is there an issue here because I'm modifying KF files?

Thanks!
Ves

Thanks zYnthetic

I'm making some progress. Cleaned up my modified files, made my new class and started work on a new mutator. It compiles fine and I can set the mutator in the Killing Floor menus, however it hasn't produced the desired effect.

I hate to ask for hand-holding, but could you possibly tell me if this is the correct approach?

Code:
class ChickennatorVoice extends Mutator;

function bool CheckReplacement(Actor Other, out byte bSuperRelevant)
{
    if (string(Other.Class) ~= "KFMod.ChickennatorSpecies")
    {
        ReplaceWith(Other, "KFMod.ChickennatorSpeciesRobot");
        return false;
    }

return true;
}

Defaultproperties
{
    GroupName = "KFChickennatorVoice"
    FriendlyName = "Chickennator Voice"
    Description = "Replaces the default Chickennator voice with DARs voice"
}

Thanks,
Ves

Upvote 0
Slightly off topic: I'd like to release this as a Steam Workshop item so that other people can enjoy the fixed Chickennator. Is there an issue here because I'm modifying KF files?
I hope you are not editing KFMod.u
Im saying this because you listed this
species=KFmod.ChickennatorSpeciesRobot
And seeing KFMod means you edited a offical file, but i think you messed up the code line since you get his default male (being his backup in case the upl file messed up). Meaning, your new species isnt located in KFMod but a new file you just made. Which should be
Species=NewFileNameHere.ChickennatorSpeciesRobot

Beside your "fix" would de-whitelist players game and therefor, destroying your point of a fix, and uploading this to the work shop would cause confuison (Since this is the Steam Community, where they sometimes get lost in a simple 3 step installment.).
The best thing you got is using DAR's species and looking at his robotic arms on Chickenator.

Also, Chickenator doesnt need DAR's voice, he needs MaleVoice3 since he was shown with the Murican flag.

....i just noticed Chickenator has 2 ns in his name....

Edit: With the inclusion of a mutator still wouldnt be a fix since its a unwhitelisted mutator and a server must have in on in order for the "fix" to even work, again destroying the point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was under the impression the KFMod.* was a reference to the directory, within which I had my class file.

I imagine The Chickennator (It's sometimes spelt chickenator and chickennater in code, it's not consistent) sounding kinda like Robocop, since The Terminator (the obvious source of the parody) doesn't say much. Unfortunately, I'm no voice actor, and I don't have the time or the resources to turn this into a whole project of making a new voice. DAR seems most appropriate.

When I say "fix", I'm just poking fun at Tripwire. I was hoping the whitelisting process wouldn't be too painful, but I guess it would be difficult to get the changes propagated onto other player's clients.

Can you suggest a different approach, or do I need to pester Tripwire?

Upvote 0
Can you suggest a different approach, or do I need to pester Tripwire?
Will i wanted to this myself but i seem to be dumb and lazy.

Get MaleVoice3 (which is what i woulda gone with, but needs to also be coded unlike the other voices) and code A NEW .u file.
All you need is a .u file, screw the mutator since thats a waste.
And in that new u file needs a new species obviously.

Get the new file done and submit it to whitelisting here (You can release it now as a test, see if you got it right)
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=92108

If aproved, just replace the species in chickennator with the new one and done.

If it doesnt get whitelisted, well...you can throw coffee at someones face and blame them for your problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As far as I recall, that voice was added last December during their initial event release, but was removed due to unknown reasons the day afterwards
It was actually added and removed twiced (It wasnt last december, it was 2011 Xmas event and again in HillBilly Horror). I have the file but i might as well do it myself some other time.
Back then (2011) when it was added, it had nothing to do with any character. TWI said they cant add more voices due to memory issues, all though this is now bull since they added 2 new voice sets and maybe more later on (A 2nd female voice). They probably dont want to update a already released character to give a new feature, though they could have given MV3 to Ricky Vegas since he actually is american (Hayato is half).
Plus making MV3 a client side voicepack would benefit TW since they dont have to add it to the game and "waste" memory since it would be a optional clientside sound pack.

I could always do this? (Please excuse the other **** on my account that autoplays)
https://soundcloud.com/vesuvianprime/killing-floor-male-voice-2
That actually sounds pretty cheesy :p
Just make a new sound file (.uax) and script it here (skip too custom taunts.)

Upvote 0
Actually since they made that statement and modders have said about the memory limitations, TW have been doing loads of stuff to reduce how much memory is being used up during and throughout the game. Removing weapons on the floor per wave, all weapons have a load only when in use and some other little bits. They have reduce some of the texture qualities for all of the event zeds, etc. That is the only reason why they can add more and keep it the same.

Upvote 0