• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character shouting in game, please let us have the option to make our character mute?

Easy solution. Turn off the auto voice commands and provide 3D voice chat that anyone, on either side would hear if they were close enough. Just like RL...... :p

In the server config ther is an option for 3D VoIP, but Yoshiro said it isn't going to be implemented at launch. This doesn't mean that a future patch wont enable support for this.

Unrelated..

I agree though that in the bedlam of real conflict soldiers would yell out important information, the difference is that videogame sound design is nowhere near as deafening as real combat. If the rest of the game's sound was as loud as it would be IRL than yelling out wouldn't be an issue. Yet I would still take issue with the sillyness of some of the battle chatter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are elements of war that were left out of RO and RO2 (ie weapon jams misfires) because they replace player control actions with randomized events. While the logic behind the battle chatter sounds good, it is contrary to the previous philosophy.

I'd be fine with the battle chatter (minus some of the silly I'm out of breath lines) if it was refined even more. In some of the latest videos it seems as though the distance that the system detects friendly soldiers is too far, which led to the player apparently having monologues.

Possibly the most undesireable aspect of the battle chatter is the auto-taunting feature. Not only does it negate the delayed kill confirmation, but I'd rather not taunt players. From the Voodoo Extreme video it also appears that players auto-taunt when enemies enter the cap zone, "I know you are there, come out suka!" I'd rather wait quietly to ambush and kill the enemy when they enter the cap zone.

something to consider, is the auto taunt always go off when you down a player, or could the soldier survive and you think they are dead and combined with the delayed kill, emulate the rookie/newbie sodlier thinking he gunned them down and bam the 'dead' soldier can bag him

also all posts have been from watching beta players, not from playing them selves, until we can actually see the limitations and customisations we cant really comment reliably

Upvote 0
You forget whos paying TWI, we are when we buy their game, and atm since its still beta, I'd request that it be an option to turn the "feature" off.

Whats really funny and stupid at the same time is that "your character" can shout all this stuff, but yet when you look down there is no character to be had, WTF is that?!, at least in Arma2 I can see myself and everything I do, how about stepping up the game a notch TWI and giving me a body.

What am I a camera man?!

Reactions: Slappy Cromwell
Upvote 0
TWI would be retards not to make this feature client side optional... They don't strike me as retards...

also all posts have been from watching beta players, not from playing them selves, until we can actually see the limitations and customisations we cant really comment reliably

...You however, do strike me as one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there was a stealth button, going back to what I said on the previous page, you can still use the voices, you just won't give anyone away that's in stealth by not talking around someone in stealth. EVERYONE IS HAPPY.

TWI/Ramm should wake up and realize people don't want this, with all due respect.

Would they rather hear this from us on the forums, or wait till it goes worldwide and people are playing the full game and get pissed off when their position is involuntarily given away. HMMM That MIGHT just piss people off, don't you think?

P.S. "We did it for the Fuhrer! Target destroyed!"

LOOOOOL... Good lord

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, it can be both good and bad

Some of it adds to the atmosphere

But some detracts

I've killed a few players who gave away their position do to auto shouts

and I think the feature nearly ruins the whole delayed death message thing. They don't ALWAYS say something when you kill someone, but most of the time they do and when they do I don't bother worrying about whether or not I get a death message to confirm the kill.

I'll barely see a player and just spray my mg 200 meters and hear DIE SWINE DIE! And I instant know I got him.

Upvote 0
I think if a client/serverside option could be implemented to disable this feature it would be greatly recieved.

Me and my squad mates have just had a very small 3v3 Countdown game on our own server. More than once we have been given away by the random chat...

It does add to the immersion, but when you are trying to flank someone or sneak by it can also be such a killer.

Please consider looking into this TWI if at all possible.

Upvote 0
This Isnt Call of Duty, its about teamwork, not going solo.

Actually, I've managed to contribute significantly to the team by going solo while playing as a machine gunner. By stalking around routes of enemy reinforcement, I can gun down their respawning soldiers as they're running to the front and significantly ease the burden on my teammates down the way. While I do move around quite a bit, it is a bit obnoxious that my character announces to the enemy when he's most vulnerable ("I NEED TO RELOAD"). It hasn't gotten me killed yet, but I'm just waiting for the day that I get the attention of a passing fascist with that.

Upvote 0
I know this sounds kinda stupid, but why are you needing to reload if you're being stealthy?

I mean, if you're having to reload, isn't that because you've been shooting your gun, which is far louder and more noticeable than shouting "reloading?" He may be able to cover MY back since I am going to have my pants down.

And to me, my buddy nearby knowing that I CANNOT COVER HIM FOR A FEW SECONDS is more important than being Solid Snake for a few seconds more.

Upvote 0
I know this sounds kinda stupid, but why are you needing to reload if you're being stealthy?

I mean, if you're having to reload, isn't that because you've been shooting your gun, which is far louder and more noticeable than shouting "reloading?" He may be able to cover MY back since I am going to have my pants down.

And to me, my buddy nearby knowing that I CANNOT COVER HIM FOR A FEW SECONDS is more important than being Solid Snake for a few seconds more.

Well, going back to my example, I often gun down small groups of enemies rapid fire, and then jump up, without reloading, and scoot to a new position before they can investigate. Once I'm nice and settled, I hit the reload key and proudly announce where I have run off to to the world.

Like I said, nobody's caught me because of the voice bind yet, but it does make me go "SHUT UP YOU IDIOT".

Upvote 0