• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character shouting in game, please let us have the option to make our character mute?

Join any realism unit and they will gut you if you use voice commands. Having the game do it automatically is flat out stupid, no matter what they are saying. And they are saying a whole hell of a lot more than "Reloading," as I am hearing tons of taunts and I highly doubt those are players triggering them... Auto Taunts can destroy this game for the realism crowd and I hugely hope they are turned off or gone in realism mode.

Upvote 0
There definitely should be a "Press to toggle scilence" key implemented, but I think that it should have some parameters. Like it applys for a set time, say 45 seconds (to avoid everyone just hitting the key upon spawn and making the battlefield mute again), and has some deactivation parameters, like if there are 3 other people in the vicinity, it turns off. Or if you sprint, it turns off.

Make it a pain to stay silent, so that it only gets used when it will really be useful.

Upvote 0
There definitely should be a "Press to toggle scilence" key implemented, but I think that it should have some parameters. Like it applys for a set time, say 45 seconds (to avoid everyone just hitting the key upon spawn and making the battlefield mute again), and has some deactivation parameters, like if there are 3 other people in the vicinity, it turns off. Or if you sprint, it turns off.

Make it a pain to stay silent, so that it only gets used when it will really be useful.

I disagree about the the principle of the timer as it's very gamey - in real life I can stop my self from talking as long as I care to. Just becuase the system is flawed in it's automatic and uncontrollable nature doesn't mean people should be penalized in such ways.

The best solution is the implementation of a taunt style button and then resigning other speech to various voice commands. I'm really worried this wont be addressed well and the authenticity of the game will be sacrificed on the altar of well intentioned ideas.

Upvote 0
I also dislike the automatic taunts the characters make. It's just not my style to call out dumb stuff to PEOPLE i had to MURDER because it's war. It sounds like they're having fun. If I would be there I would be terrified, trying to survive. I'd be too busy ****ting my pants to say HURR DURR I KILLED YOU, NO MORE VODKA FOR YOU, IVAN. Thats what I liked about RO. Aside from the occasional taunt people make, the general theme is destruction, fear and onslaught. The real terror of war. Not some taunt a kid makes because of a 'kill'

They should categorise the voices into certain groups like:
Taunts
Physical: (Oh boy, am i tired, i certainly do hope i am able to continue to battle like this, cos whoo boy i am whupped.)
Tactical: I am running out of ammo (mg), sniper spotted, Throwing grenade, RELOADING

and give you the option to disable them as well as the option to bind a key to toggle a category or all controllable chatter on or off. Shouldnt be that hard

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A press for silence button is a good compromise. The voices are kept in the game which Ramm wants so much, and we get to have the option of not having them on or off. Can you blame someone for not wanting their position given away?

In response to the inevitable "But it only works if you are close to team mates" argument is, well a lot of people play with friends, and stick together to flank. Idk why flanking has some kind of lone wolf stigma to it. On top of working with friends, it doesn't differentiate between walls/or floors.

Perhaps even better than an off button, would be to have a stealth button. It would function the same way as an off button, but now if some random teammate comes out of no were and is like OH HAI when you are in a deep flank, activating a stealth button would make it so that not only do you not say anything, but team mates who come across you won't either. The logic being, that if that one guy is discovered by hearing him scream out, the enemy already knows, well there must be ANOTHER guy somewhere close. And don't add a timer to this.... Everybody wins in this case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A press for silence button is a good compromise. The voices are kept in the game which Ramm wants so much, and we get to have the option of not having them on or off. Can you blame someone for not wanting their position given away?

In response to the inevitable "But it only works if you are close to team mates" argument is, well a lot of people play with friends, and stick together to flank. Idk why flanking has some kind of lone wolf stigma to it. On top of working with friends, it doesn't differentiate between walls/or floors.

Perhaps even better than an off button, would be to have a stealth button. It would function the same way as an off button, but now if some random teammate comes out of no were and is like OH HAI when you are in a deep flank, activating a stealth button would make it so that not only do you not say anything, but team mates who come across you won't either. The logic being, that if that one guy is discovered by hearing him scream out, the enemy already knows, well there must be ANOTHER guy somewhere close. And don't add a timer to this.... Everybody wins in this case.

You, Sir, are a ****ing genious

We need this.

Reactions: skittlesareyum47
Upvote 0
another thing; you don't necessarily have to be flanking with a friend to have a teammate nearby.

A lot of times in RO, I'll be on the flank by myself...then one or even two other teammates run by (and sometimes stick to me if they are smart). I don't know where people get that only 1 person per server is allowed to flank. Hell, in some maps flanking is the main travel option, especially when central locations get locked down into a killzone.

Upvote 0
Join any realism unit and they will gut you if you use voice commands. Having the game do it automatically is flat out stupid, no matter what they are saying. And they are saying a whole hell of a lot more than "Reloading," as I am hearing tons of taunts and I highly doubt those are players triggering them... Auto Taunts can destroy this game for the realism crowd and I hugely hope they are turned off or gone in realism mode.
Considering im in a Realism Unit, I can vouch for this!

In General
Leave it for SP, but its old news that your character wont shout out unless a friendly is near by.

Even if a friendly was near by why would you shout out something anyways if you were both in the same area of lets say a 2-3 story building and enemy is down stairs looking for you, then all of a sudden he hears "I know their close" in German and hes Russian, or reloading or whatever other unnecessary things the character "needs" to be saying without your control.

I personally never understood why in RO itself with the voice taunts why would someone call out or shout something, even one of the insults ingame just to give your supposed position away, I never really used the voice commands, never seen a need for them as I either typed what i wanted to say out, or if I were with the unit or friends I would use ventrilo.

And has been said how will this effect clans and realism units that use teamspeak and or ventrilo and need the character to keep quiet, so I can see this having to have the option of turning off.

Stealth shouts or a quieter version is pointless, it would have to be dictated based on how your moving ingame and or where your at maybe to even work, unless you have a option feature to put it in stealth mode, then again whats the point of the shouts other then to give you the sense that you have more bells and whistles going off when your playing the game.

Its like the people like what their doing but want the radio on too to listen to music, isn't the thing your doing enough as it is?!

Upvote 0
Why not just do it how brothers in arms hells highway does it? The soldiers yell under fire, but whisper when not in combat.. Should couple that with only giving the "Reload, nade, bla bla bla" when around friendlies. I think the whole stealth button thing is a crappy idea, cause then what would stop people from just always using it...and setting a timer to it, or anything like that makes it too much like a arcade type game. I'd rather my soldier know when to yell, and when to be quiet.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think the problem here is that it BREAKS realism to have a silent fight. These guys your are playing as are SOLDIERS not secret agents. We're not all spec ops, and we really shouldn't act it. They're going to yell, brag, cry out in pain for you because YOU are not the one fighting out there... they are.

Even worse! We break realism further by having all that private voice chat screaming as LOUD as we want without the enemy hearing us. That's why so called "realism" units don't want you using voice chat. It's a disadvantage not unrealistic.... but if EVERYONE has that disadvantage it's called part of the game.

Now from what I could understand, A lot of old beta videos seems to be all TALK TALK TALK, but newer videos seem to show off less talking. Also, I notice that even though the player is hearing tons of allies talking, the enemy never seems to be talking as often or as loud.

That leaves me to believe that we won't really have an issue with this being a problem. I think they've already taken some measures to make it so even though the atmosphere is AMAZING with all the shouting and screaming, it's not going to ruin your sneaky tactics.

I think this one needs to go down to trial and error with people playing the DDE beta. I think we'll see soon enough if this is just ruining sneaking, or adding real nice atmosphere.

Upvote 0
I think the problem here is that it BREAKS realism to have a silent fight. These guys your are playing as are SOLDIERS not secret agents. We're not all spec ops, and we really shouldn't act it. They're going to yell, brag, cry out in pain for you because YOU are not the one fighting out there... they are.

You haven't read any responses in this thread have you?

Upvote 0
You haven't read any responses in this thread have you?

What would make you think I didn't? I'm stating that even if you are playing the game thinking like a commando, doesn't mean the Raw Recruit you're going to be playing is going to stay quiet. I'm basically arguing that being too much in control can be a bad thing here...

Seriously, what do you think I'm missing?

Upvote 0
There are elements of war that were left out of RO and RO2 (ie weapon jams misfires) because they replace player control actions with randomized events. While the logic behind the battle chatter sounds good, it is contrary to the previous philosophy.

I'd be fine with the battle chatter (minus some of the silly I'm out of breath lines) if it was refined even more. In some of the latest videos it seems as though the distance that the system detects friendly soldiers is too far, which led to the player apparently having monologues.

Possibly the most undesireable aspect of the battle chatter is the auto-taunting feature. Not only does it negate the delayed kill confirmation, but I'd rather not taunt players. From the Voodoo Extreme video it also appears that players auto-taunt when enemies enter the cap zone, "I know you are there, come out suka!" I'd rather wait quietly to ambush and kill the enemy when they enter the cap zone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0