• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Changing the lighting on staticmesh

RoBoT

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Syria
I was wondering if there way to make the lighting on the Staticmesh more simple as the BSP one?

so It wouldn't have dark areas on sides like in this screenshot
Spoiler!

Try changing the Drawtype under the display tab to DT_Brush might do it :)

On objects that I want to keep static drawn I add a ambient glow of about 5-10 seems to smooth out the lighting on it

I tried doing that, the staticmesh just disappeared even when I tried to rebuild all...

for an ambient glow I know about it, But it's gonna solve my problem because I have dynamic light (such as flashlight) moving around in dark rooms so using ambient glow is gonna make staticmeshs glows in the dark which it's unpleasant :(

Upvote 0
Thx murphy, I read that awhile ago
but I think you misunderstood me of the problem I have, my map is simply pitch black dark. It has lantern (with dynamic light) you could pick it up and wonder around with it in this map.

Here is example of what I'm talking about:

BSP vs Staticmesh - YouTube

These are 2 boxes one of them is BSP and other is static, you can notice the lighting on them from my lantern.

The BSP one's lighting is simple, lighting up all around but it's smooth with floor as you can see. The Staticmesh has dark sides and doesn't match with the floor, It's not big deal with box staticmesh but some other ones with complicated shapes is.

Upvote 0
Thx murphy, I read that awhile ago
but I think you misunderstood me of the problem I have, my map is simply pitch black dark. It has lantern (with dynamic light) you could pick it up and wonder around with it in this map.

Here is example of what I'm talking about:

BSP vs Staticmesh - YouTube

These are 2 boxes one of them is BSP and other is static, you can notice the lighting on them from my lantern.

The BSP one's lighting is simple, lighting up all around but it's smooth with floor as you can see. The Staticmesh has dark sides and doesn't match with the floor, It's not big deal with box staticmesh but some other ones with complicated shapes is.

This occurs because the amount of polygons that contains the cube.
Try to create a cube with more polygons or use a more complex geometry.

Upvote 0
BSP surfaces are lit per pixel, and Staticmeshes are vertex lit, with dynamic lights this is very noticeable.

This is a engine limitation and I guess there's no way to fix this as far as I know for this type of map (pitch black + dynamic light).

Adding more geometry doesn't help either, the BSP floor do not blend well with the staticmesh.
KF smlight - YouTube

Upvote 0