• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound Changing in-game music

Tried the current suggestion

Tried the current suggestion

I changed KFmenu, KF_Insect, KF_Peripheral and Dirgerepulse.

The names are the exact same as the copies, I changed the songs into an OGG format and removed the old versions as backup. None, of these songs, play.

ever.

All I get is silence. Can I get a hand here please?

Upvote 0
I could just quote everyone, but that would be one long post, so to answer the general question:
Sgt. Lag said:
Is there a way to add more music to the game instead of just replacing it?
I like the in-game music, but after a while it gets repetitive.

I think you mean, how to add your own music to maps? (and your own custom maps).

I'm not entirely certain. But, whilst trying to add my own music through the SDK, I couldn't import *.ogg 's, and don't know how to convert audio files to *.umx, so I went snooping around.
It seems that, in the system folder, there are files with map names and an extention with ' .int ' which hold lines of 'code' I guess you could call it.

Example, for the music played in KF-WestLondon map, you should find a file here:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\System\KF-WestLondon.int

..and the first few lines, you should see lines like this:
Code:
[KFMusicTrigger0]
CombatSong="DirgeDisunion1"
WaveBasedSongs=((CombatSong="DirgeDisunion1",CalmSong="KF_Wading"),(CombatSong="DirgeRepulse2Short",CalmSong="KF_Wading"),(CombatSong="DirgeDisunion1",CalmSong="KF_Wading"),(CombatSong="DirgeRepulse2Short",CalmSong="KF_Wading"),(CombatSong="DirgeDisunion1",CalmSong="KF_Peripheral"),(CombatSong="DirgeRepulse2Short",CalmSong="KF_Peripheral"),(CombatSong="KF_Pathogen",CalmSong="KF_Peripheral"),(CombatSong="DirgeRepulse2",CalmSong="KF_Peripheral"),(CombatSong="KF_Pathogen",CalmSong="KF_Mutagen"),(CombatSong="KF_Pathogen",CalmSong="KF_Mutagen"))

There seems to be 10 combat songs, and 10 'calm' songs (which is when you've cleared a wave).

Which in turn, correspond to each wave.
E.g.
(CombatSong="DirgeDisunion1",CalmSong="KF_Wading"), <- wave 1
(CombatSong="DirgeRepulse2Short",CalmSong="KF_Wading"), <- wave 2 ..etc

All you have to do is, use an auido editing software, like Audacity, and export your original or desired music to *.OGG, place it into the directory:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\Music\
Edit the maps *.int file, and place your file name (without extensions) within the quotation marks.
Save, and then that map should have the music you converted.
But be warned, you're editing game related files, so you should make back-ups of these files before editing, so you can always revert your changes.

dy5c0 said:
now heres the question? what if you wanted to change the music serverside?
like put some badass music up that people can listen to when connecting..
me and a bunch of my friends play on my server it would be cool to put some hard DNB in there

To answer that, I'm not sure..
I'm not a big networking/server buff, but to play any music you have, the client needs to have it too, so either the client has to download the song from the host, or the client has to already have the song in the first place.
That goes for both whilst 'connecting' and in the map.
(don't quote me on this, like I said, I'm not sure :))

Upvote 0
I changed KFmenu, KF_Insect, KF_Peripheral and Dirgerepulse.

The names are the exact same as the copies, I changed the songs into an OGG format and removed the old versions as backup. None, of these songs, play.

ever.

All I get is silence. Can I get a hand here please?

Make sure you're music volume isn't 0, I fretted over the same issue for ages until I found out that my music volume had been magically turned to zero...

Oh, and can anyone help me, I don't know how to make a piece of music louder in Audacity, any help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
is there anyway for the game to download the music into the client computer? i used to run a Call of Duty 4 server, and we had a mod that had custom music on it while killing zombies.. it would download a file and then it would play during the game

The only way you can make players listen to music you want is by giving them the music. Then editing the .int file for the map. Once the client has the music it will play what the .int tells it to.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to change the music that plays during the game to something you personally would like, rather than using an outside player(iTunes, WinAmp, etc.)?

since all music files are .ogg you simply replace whatever.ogg with your own .ogg file, renamed the same item, ie: DirgeDisunion2.ogg. As the game plays, maps are made to fetch the tracks as the designer intended, right out of the kf/music folder. If you want a listing of which .ogg files play on each map, check out a post I made http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=40301http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=40301 - with that info it's easy to plug your own favorite songs into the game!

ps- dont listen to those fools who say use winamp.. sure it works but having gnarly music during waves-only, and still dark ambient in-betweens, wayyy better ingame experience than a background playlist. You can do THAT on anything. take advantage of this unreal engine joy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's a leftover music player from Unreal Tournament, I found out about it from this thread

Sup, did you know there is a "hidden" music player in the game? A similar player was included in UT2004, the game the original KF mod was based upon. From the looks of it, TWI worked on the UI, but abandoned the music player and just disabled it. The UI is buggy but the tooltips will tell you what each button does. It is almost fully functional.

How to enable:
Open user.ini (located in your Killing Floor system folder)
Find the line F11= and change it to F11=MusicMenu. This will most probably work with other buttons, but I have not tested it.
Save the file and play!

Anywhere in-game, even the main menu, press F11 and this music player will pop up! Sadly, it can only play .ogg files, so you will need to use some kind of file converter to make your music work.
I would love getting some feedback from you Forum Floor pros.

You could also just use the in game command ~set input KEY musicmenu

Upvote 0