• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Changing Conditions this Summer - QoL, Balance, and a New Outbreak

Kittenmittens

Tripwire Interactive Community Team
Staff member
Mercs,
As the ever-evolving fight against the outbreak continues, it’s time for a briefing on what is new and what is changing.

Contamination Zone Weekly Outbreak

We must warn you about some changing conditions out in the field. Our eyes and ears on the ground have been monitoring areas where Zed outbreaks have occurred to let us know about any fresh threats and new obstacles that mercs may face on their missions. Alarming reports have come in about several areas we are giving the code name Contamination Zone.
contaminationzonelogo.png
Due to worsening conditions around the breakdown of several labs, masses of zeds, and other dangers from the collapse of cities, it’s possible to run into areas that are so unsafe that being there will harm the health of those exposed to them. We need mercs to brave these sites to continue our work to eliminate the mobs of specimens there.

To aid those that brave these zones, a variety of safe spaces will be marked. In these spaces, players will be protected from the damage that these contaminated zones inflict. HQ has found a way to protect you and your squad while getting supplies. Once done, there will be limited time to get to the secured area. Take care as getting distracted by the wave of zeds at these locations will be easy, but getting to the protected area is your priority.

Be sure to plan for this new threat before setting out to these locations, it will be challenging to defend yourselves in one spot. Survive the wave of zeds and defeat the boss threat to complete this mission!

Item Search for Inventory
After 8 years of new items and cosmetics being added to the game’s inventory, we understand that players have accumulated quite a collection. To give players more control and aid them in finding that favorite hat or weapon cosmetic, a search bar is added to the in-game inventory. With the search bar, players will be able to narrow down their search with much more speed.

qolinventorysearch.png

Toggle Friendly Hud Keybind

While there is an option to scale the Friendly HUD, we feel players would benefit from the ability to toggle this HUD off and on as necessary.
togglefriendlyhudkeybinding.PNG
PC players are able to bind the toggle to the key of their choice.

togglefriendlyhudconsole01.png
For console players, there’s an option to use it in the commands wheel by pressing the LB/ L1 buttons while in the command wheel menu.

Field Medic Adjustments

After hearing an extensive amount of feedback regarding the Field Medic and how its speed, damage, and survivability feel out of balance compared to its expected role we have made some changes. One common call out was how its Level 5 skills made them virtually invulnerable in some specific situations. With the combined changes and the adjustments of the Healthblower, the medic should feel much more like the support role it was meant to have.

Run Speed Adjustment

Currently, at max level Field Medics can get a 10% Movement Speed boost. This can be increased by Level 10 Perk Skill “Adrenaline Shot” to an extra 30%, getting an overall 40% extra speed. We feel the survivability around this could do with some adjusting to prevent massive healing while outrunning all threats.

The movement speed bonus will be lowered per level from 0.4% per level to 0.2% per level, reaching a 5% extra speed maximum.

Level 5 Skill Changes

• Reduce the resistance cap from Resilience skill to 30%
  • Reduce Symbiotic Health Self-Healing to 3%

Weapon Balance Changes

Regarding balance, we have made tweaks to some weapons, following the State of the Year Survey:

The Minigun was a powerful weapon, but magazines were always empty by the time the fun started! Bigger mags and more spare ammo make the minigun a great option for its weight and price.
  • Minigun
    • Magazine from 90 to 120
    • Spare ammo from 540 to 600
    • Ammo price per magazine from 90 to 120

We felt the gun trio (Rhino, Winterbite, Spitfire) had a bit of a problem, and improving the bash attack would help. In the specific case of the Spitfires, due to the still nature of Sharpshooters, if they got trapped, having that weapon meant they wouldn’t have any good way to escape. Now, the bash speeds have been leveled with other pistols (9mm, Revolvers) and any class which uses them will have a way to defend themselves.
  • Spitfire + Winterbite + Rhino
    • Sped up Bash animation 33% (1.5 play rate, around 2s)

Players feel HRG Locust is an extremely powerful weapon by design. The price felt too low for all the weapon had to offer. After the changes for this update, the weapon should feel more balanced in all matches now.
  • HRG Locust
    • Damage from 60 to 45 (Explosive)
    • Bleeding Power from 20 to 15
    • Poison Power from 25 to 20
    • Upgraded from Tier 3 to 4
    • Removed 2nd upgrade
    • Trader prices from 900 to 1400

Players felt the Reducto Ray wasn’t a weapon as powerful as its price suggested, so it became the Tier 2 alternative for the survivalist with a price adjustment.

• Reducto Ray
    • Trader price from 1200 to 900

The common opinion on HRG Healthrower was that it’s currently a weapon that does too much too well. It felt too strong for healing teammates and had the killing capacity of Firebug spray weapons.
The Debuff applied to this weapon was solely focused on the damage aspect of it. It’s now a weapon more oriented to healing and supporting teammates, still preserving the viability of using it in Solo mode.
  • HRG Healthrower
    • Damage on Spray end from 27 to 12
    • Damage on Spray start (muzzle) from 30 to 15
    • Damage Interval from 0.07 to 1.2
    • Poison Power from 15 to 10

The Mine Reconstructor needed a bit of love to show how great a weapon it is, so we increased its Fire Rate.
  • Mine Reconstructor
    • FireInterval from 0.223 to 0.2

It was clear from survey results that players felt the Road Redeemer was a weaker choice when compared to other Berserker weapons in the same tier. It should now feel more in line with other weapons of the same tier.
  • Road Redeemer
    • Fast attack Damage from 68 to 75
    • Heavy attack Damage from 90 to 100

Feedback on HRG Crossboom was that it was too weak. After checking and looking for what made it weak, we found out that the arrows took too long to explode after impact, and that the explosions weren’t as devastating as they should. That has been addressed!
  • HRG Crossboom
    • DamageRadius from 200 to 250
    • SecondsBeforeDetonation from 0.5 to 0.2

The Head Hunter is a very special weapon, which forces the Sharpshooter to change its playstyle. However, the main gimmick of the weapon (pop heads with the alt-fire) was overly constrained. Now there’s room for more usage of that Alt-Fire.
  • HRG Head Hunter
    • AmmoCost (alt fire mode) from 100 to 25

Last edited:
Actually I'm impressed. Can't find anything to complain about. All nerfs and changes seem to be for the better! Thanks for taking our feedback into account! This is super rare. Can't even recall an update where I wouldn't find something to complain about. Good job TWI/Saber/Embracer!

I wonder what's changed? Did someone take it over from David Amata? New team addition? Someone who took the time to get to the details on a deep enough level? The team finally had enough time to look into the issues?

But not to get ahead of ourselves, I hope you guys don't break something important when implementing these changes.

And for the love of what you consider holy, fix the workshop download mess on KF2 servers with the steamclient.so (and appropriate Windows file name) versions! It's been broken since summer 2022 -- no workshop content can be downloaded by a KF2 server installed from scratch!

Upvote 0
The toggle friendly HUD and inventory search bar are AMAZING additions. Great balance changes overall but the minigun deserves better, it is still not viable with this change. Lessen the damage and omit reloading by giving it one HUGE magazine, that would make it feel like a REAL minigun!

Upvote 0
Hey, this is a good start. The Medic/Healthrower/Locust nerfs are good to see; those have been a long time coming. There are still some things that need to be re-evaluated, like the Kaboomstick, but this is a good start.

Good to see the Road Redeemer getting some love.

The rest are OK to "I guess?" (The Mine Reconstructor's buff isn't going to help it; the weapon ideally needs a flat rework, but at the very least it needs something like eliminating the screen shake when you hit other players with it because that can actively grief precision perks.)

The main thing that concerns me off the bat is the Head Hunter change, because making a weapon that gets headshots for you more spammable than it was is...well, I'll have to experiment with it to fully get my thoughts.

Upvote 0
За "миниган" - спасибо, сам подумал написать, чтобы его повысили по патронам. Еще бы хотелось увидеть дополнительные место для клавиш, чтоб я мог назначить ещё одну клавишу под такое же действие . Ну и баланс берсерка

Upvote 0
Good to see community feedback being addressed without going overboard for the most part. Good stuff!
I am somewhat concerned about the level 5 left side medic nerf - the last thing you want is to encourage more solo medics while disincentivizing teamplay. Aside from that it looks great.
I agree I dont see the point of decreasing by 50% both lv 5 skills, the Resilience skill should be the one to get hit harder because it is the more powerful one and it is the one that promotes solo medic plays.

I would do the 50% decrease to the Resilience skill but would only decrease the Symbiotic Health Self-Healing to 5% or 4%

Last edited:
Reactions: Aze and Cannonaire
Upvote 0
Will steampunk outfit ever coming back to the game or is it gone permanently? I use to own this outfit til I got my account hacked few years ago. If it's still not possible for you guys to bring it back, it's all good. I still have other outfits I bought to equip on. Love the changes though, still the best game ever! ^-^

Upvote 0
I kinda expected more of such a "quality of change" focused update, but at the same time... Was it that wise to expect a whole rebuilding of an eight-year-old game? Probably not I guess. And the proposed tweaks seem to be both very valid and justifiable.

-Contamination Zone seems to be a mere "Defend the objective", cranked up to 11... And compulsory too. I don't know if I like that all that much, considering it's very easy to lose a game as you were too greedy. Playing the entire game in the danger zone sounds like a recipe for disaster at worst... and a mere walk in the park at best (it's already pretty common to pick a specific spot on a map and just stay there all game). We'll see.

-Simple and efficient regarding the "search" option for our inventory. I personally have little problem navigating through the menus, but more clarity is never a bad thing.

-The Medic nerfs are more than welcome. It tackles the two main culprits of his incredible resilience: speed and extra tankiness. It's argue that its all-powerful arsenal should be looked upon too, but you never removed a weapon from the game so far... So I guess we'll have to make do. It's already pretty neat and I'm happy you DID listen !

-I don't know about the Minigun... I feel like the main drawback of the game is definitely how bulky, clunky, slow it is to use. Being able to mow down legions of zeds just doesn't rival the overall versatility of the SCAR and FAL. Hell, even the Stoner is a better compromise IMO. It's one of those examples of a weapon that's fairly sound, with a pretty well-defined role, but that's just outshined by better options. Even if you'd want to fully commit to trash cleaning... It's not as if the other, more versatile options, are incapable of doing it pretty damn well.

-I never really cared much for bash speed to be fair, or more accurately I never truly noticed it. I personally would NEVER pick the Spitfire as a sharpshooter, but a little buff never hurts. Especially for weapons designed for up close and personal combat.

-Ouch... The Locust is really getting dragged down A LOT ! I can't recall another weapon receiving such a large amount of nerfs. It's all justifiable though, considering it was also the most ludicrous gun I've ever seen. Having so many upsides, such an ease of use, for little to no risks was almost bafflingly uncomprehensible. It was about time !

-Weird to see the Reducto Ray receiving a slight buff... Sure, it's not as insultingly good as it used to be, but if my memory serves well, it's still a pretty devastating weapon against anything but the biggest of zeds. I'd have to toy a bit more with its latest version to judge tho.

-Despite being a medic main in TF2, I pretty much never used the Healthrower because... It's boring as hell, despite being an incredibly good weapon. So I don't really care much for those changes, but I guess it makes for a fairer weapon overall.

-I honestly can't recall the last time I took the Road Redeemer. I don't really believe that boost in damage will make me drop the usual suspects (Pulverizer and Vlad, mostly. Bone Crusher, Battleaxe, Ion Thruster otherwise), but hey, I'll take it !

-The Mine Reconstructor's change seems pretty meh. Again, it's a weapon I haven't used in a while, but I recall it charged pretty fast already (I often overcharged my shots even) and dealt a good chunk of damage, including against FPs. I think it'd be better if it was a real mine layer, made for the demo instead of the medic... But maybe it would make the C4 obsolete, or make guarding a choke point as easy as laying mines all the time (as if groundfire wasn't already enough of a detriment to zeds...). Anyhow, I don't think it will affect the gun all that much.

-I personally had little issue with the Crossboom. For a T2 weapon, it definitely got the job done decently enough, and it was quite funny to see a zed exploding from 10km away ! It lacked a bit of oomph in the latter waves, but it felt like a more versatile M79 for the most part. And at least, it was partially comparable to the HX-25 (except it had the benefit of longer ranges), with it being both a pretty good PDW weapon... and a pretty bad one if you were getting overwhelmed. That made it at least a little more balanced than the Tommy Boom. So cranking up the damage didn't seem that necessary to me, but why not?

-The Head Hunter is probably my least favored weapon in the game so far. It's just too gimmicky and makes something as "easy" and efficient as popping caps stupidly tedious. I guess being able to use the altfire more often will at least make the weapon WORK. But it still feels like a convoluted way to play Sharp in a less efficient way than what's in his base kit.

Upvote 0
  • Damage on Spray end from 27 to 12
  • Damage on Spray start (muzzle) from 30 to 15
Just saying that this aint gonna work like it does not work right now (weapon does 27 currently at all ranges) because you'd also need to change variable that defies the range for max and min (currently it's SprayDamageScaleDistRange=(X=300,Y=300), where X is a starting point, Y is an end). Linear damage scale for spray actors right now only works for Husk's Flamethrower attack. So don't forget to adjust the range too. In code it's done natively so i can only guess that there have to be difference between X and Y or it won't work.

Upvote 0
Assuming I ran my numbers right on the Medic nerfs, I can't help but wonder if 3% per heal is too harsh. 3% of 125 is a measly 3 points of health, rounded down.

With the current iteration of Symbiotic Health, you'd heal 7 HP per medic dart, which translates to 14 on a full HM101 battery, or 21 on a full HM401 battery.

The proposed nerfs would be looking at 3 HP per dart, or 6HP per HM101 battery, or 9HP per 401 battery.

If Symbiotic Health absolutely needs a nerf, I think a reduction to 4% would work the best, since that'd be a 5 HP heal per heal.

Singular dart = 5 HP
Full HM101 battery = 10HP
Full HM401 battery = 15HP

Might not seem like a big increase on a per dart basis but I think it'll be more significant when you get your late game weapons, since a three dart volley from a medic assault rifle would be the equivalent to a player darting you once with an off-perk Medic Pistol.

Upvote 0
They reworked the medic for this update ! I haven't tried the new changes though, so I don't know if they're meaningful or not.
Yeah that's why I asked actually, I randomly saw the patch note and wonder if somebody has tried the changes. On paper it looks like a strong nerf but wouldn't be surprised if that is still not enough.

I wonder if there have been other kiting classes' changes that I might have missed like further zerk nerf or changes to the LMS etc. (I left shortly after hemoclobber nerf IIRC the ammo went from 3->2)

Upvote 0