• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"chain"ge the chainsaw

someguyhunter

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2009
LOL JOKES

any ways

the chainsaw needs a change in my opinion. the slow speed really kills the function of the weapon. i think the damage and headshot multipliers are fine. the fact that you move at the speed of a snail ensures that your armor is going to get chipped out very quickly on the harder difficulties as the crowds close in on you.

berserker is like the only perk that has to get within face distance to do damage and the speed is the reason they can do this safely. why is the chainsaw the only weapon to remove this completely? isnt the chainsaw supposed to be a top tier weapon for zerker? it would be really nice to see this much needed change to make this weapon more than just a gimmick.

offtopic but i think the machete should be given a slight increased ranged compared to the knife to warrant its purchase and i think the scar should have its magazine increased to 30 instead of 25. the total amount of ammo should be kept the same tho.

Personally I think the Berserker should move at the Chainsaws speed all the time. :eek:

Seriously though the only thing that doesn't make sense to me is how the axe does more damage than the chainsaw. Without checking the stats I wandered up and tried to stun a Scrake with a alt-fire Headshot... I sat laughing my arse off as it used its own Chainsaw inspect my sphincter. (LMAO literally I guess)

I then found out that a Chainsaw does 5 damage less and it isn't quite enough to stun the Scrake. What a world :)

Upvote 0
Personally I think the Berserker should move at the Chainsaws speed all the time. :eek:

Seriously though the only thing that doesn't make sense to me is how the axe does more damage than the chainsaw. Without checking the stats I wandered up and tried to stun a Scrake with a alt-fire Headshot... I sat laughing my arse off as it used its own Chainsaw inspect my sphincter. (LMAO literally I guess)

I then found out that a Chainsaw does 5 damage less and it isn't quite enough to stun the Scrake. What a world :)

It actually deals 5 damage less AND only has a 1.1x (or just 1.0x i think) headshotmultiplier, compared to the Axe's 1.25x. If Chainsaw got 1.25x too, it could stun from the front as well :)

Upvote 0
I don't gte why the chainsaw can alt fire at all.

I mean, with most weapons you can understand a quick slash, or a double handed heavy slash. But with a chainsaw, the majority of the damage I would've thought comes from the rotating chain rather than the way or momentum of the weapon as it is brought to bear.

I'd personally like to see it brought to slot 1, deal a bit more damage per hit on primary fire and have no secondary fire. Maybe only weigh 9 so you could also take an axe as well. Oh, and move at melee weapon speed with it.

I guess that'd turn it into a katana-kind of role. Better against crrowds of clots, but it doesn't deal as much damage as a ktana per hit, so would be worse against husks and things like that. Plus, chainsaw+axe is 15/15, so only a 9mm for a sidearm.

Upvote 0
Well seeing as how it's 8 kilograms right now, I don't see why you'd want to bring it up to "only" 9. Furthermore, the chainsaw is supposed to be a really good camping weapon for berserk so he doesn't run off and kite, so giving him his movement speed bonus back (which really doesn't make sense given to how heavy and bulky the chainsaw is in the first place) rather than a nice damage buff to make it useful again seems more than a little counter-intuitive. It sounds to me like you're suggesting we fix a flat tire by rebuilding the suspension and changing the engine.

As for the alt-fire thing, I agree completely but the chainsaw'll definitely need a damage and headshot buff first.

Upvote 0
Haha, you can see how much I use the chainsaw atm xD

I normally spawn as sharp for the crossbow's money and swap to another class, and only use a chainsaw if I need to hold a doorway. Otherwise I never use it. Which kinda agrees with the OP's point that it needs to be better :p I just remember it as weighing a ****ton xD

And it's fine for it to be a camping weapon for a zerker, but in that case I'd argue something needs to be changed with a zerker in general then, because they don't tend to be used for camping atm :p

Upvote 0
so giving him his movement speed bonus back (which really doesn't make sense given to how heavy and bulky the chainsaw is in the first place) rather than a nice damage buff to make it useful again seems more than a little counter-intuitive.

do you know how heavy a claymore is in real life?

any ways, if the game was trying to be 100% realistic we wouldnt have zombies with rocket launchers for arms. :3

i still think they should give the chainsaw the movement speed. the insane weight of the weapon is such a burden that there should be more of a reason to pick this weapon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
Brotip: If you want to effectively rebut a point you shouldn't ridicule out-of-context periphery statements. Seeing as how you're apparently just a bit to daft to pick up on what I was arguing I'll clarify: I was arguing an alternative buff for the chainsaw so it could be a good camping weapon again, not katana 2.0 (like that failed abortion the claymore), not that KF needs to become RO with zombies. lrn2read

Upvote 0
Chainsaw is fine the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing about it....

When you take an already awesome weapon, and just try to make it stronger, only makes the game easier, and boring.

A lot of gamers do not like admitting their "skill" and just like to blame weapons or perks or enemies for their downfall in the game. I was there too at one point, but after 476 hours of the best damn game, Ive learned a lot about the functionality of Killing Floor.

If you want hints and tips, I'll let everything out the bag, but as for changing weapons to make the game easier, I'm not for it!

Upvote 0
Brotip: If you want to effectively rebut a point you shouldn't ridicule out-of-context periphery statements. Seeing as how you're apparently just a bit to daft to pick up on what I was arguing I'll clarify: I was arguing an alternative buff for the chainsaw so it could be a good camping weapon again, not katana 2.0 (like that failed abortion the claymore), not that KF needs to become RO with zombies. lrn2read

you smell go away.

daft lolol

when someone senses weakness in their argument and are insecure they try to use big words to fortify it. jokes. you are the joke btw.

Upvote 0
Chainsaw is fine the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing about it....

When you take an already awesome weapon, and just try to make it stronger, only makes the game easier, and boring.

A lot of gamers do not like admitting their "skill" and just like to blame weapons or perks or enemies for their downfall in the game. I was there too at one point, but after 476 hours of the best damn game, Ive learned a lot about the functionality of Killing Floor.

If you want hints and tips, I'll let everything out the bag, but as for changing weapons to make the game easier, I'm not for it!

im not one of those gamers who is crap and is blaming weapons.

i have over 1k hours in the game and 100% achievements and have soloed every map on hoe and beaten it with 6 players. the chainsaw is an inferior to the other weapons and i feel that for the slow movement it gives a zerker, it should be given a buff or changed in a way that is not a straight up buff.

its a weapon that is mostly ignored by most kf players it would be nice if it was made more viable on the harder difficulties isntead of a gimmick weapon that makes you lose more armor than you should have when u are in melee range.

Upvote 0
If the chainsaw got a 1.25x headshotmultiplier (up from its current 1.0x) you would be able to stun Scrakes with frontal altfire headshots and honestly, that is all that would be necessary for the chainsaw to be a useful weapon again.

Upside: Can deal with trash, all the way up to Scrakes with relative ease. And costs less in total than Katana+Axe
Downside: You move slower (making it more of a team/camping weapon, which is totally fine by me).
Neutral: It weighs as much as Katana+Axe

Even if the melee movement speed bonus of the Berserker was active while wielding the Chainsaw, i don't see the Chainsaw becoming overpowered anyway. It could get a price increase then (1250 or 1500 base price). It needs love though...

Upvote 0
im not one of those gamers who is crap and is blaming weapons.

i have over 1k hours in the game and 100% achievements and have soloed every map on hoe and beaten it with 6 players. the chainsaw is an inferior to the other weapons and i feel that for the slow movement it gives a zerker, it should be given a buff or changed in a way that is not a straight up buff.

its a weapon that is mostly ignored by most kf players it would be nice if it was made more viable on the harder difficulties isntead of a gimmick weapon that makes you lose more armor than you should have when u are in melee range.

The chainsaw is heavy, but not useless. Try running with the knife and then switching to chain saw right before you need it. I find this the best way to make the chainsaw useful and keep the beserker moving quickly. Also, corners, they are good to use as protection, as well as a barrier so you dont get engulfed with enemies, and when using the chainsaw, you successfully keep a small area under control, as long as you have the "mouse sensitivity" at an upper level to be able to catch head shots, especially during ZED timing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(like that failed abortion the claymore)

I think you derped right there.

the claymore seems to be the best all-round melee weapon there is. It may be slightly slower than the katana, but it does more damage and you don't need to switch from the claymore to something else, or vice versa like you do with the katana and axe combo.

Being only 6 in weight, it's 2 less than katana+axe and i like to take an M4 with me, and when i could, an M29 as well for a nice #2 gun.

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
I think you derped right there.
No, no I did not. In fact, to be thorough I did some tests on KF-Testmap6p to make sure I didn't derp, just for you. The following is 6man HoE stats of the number of swings required to kill or decap, R is for a regular attack, A for alt attack.
Spoiler!

Note that the stats are virtually identical for both weapons. Only does it really diverge with the scrake and fp, and even then only for body hp. All the trash specimens can be killed in one swing with both weapons, and for the bigger specimens (siren, husk, scrake, and FP) the HS required to kill are or nearly are the exact same. Damage wise the only definite advantage the claymore has over the axe is to be able to kill sirens and husks in a single primary attack, which is mostly rendered a moot point considering that the axe's alt attack is very nearly as fast. The claymore swings slower, is more expensive, weighs more, and is ugly. Note especially the weight, which cuts out some of the best complements for a katana+claymore loadout.

So what advantages does the claymore have? It doesn't have as strong of a movement slowdown per swing as the axe and that it has slightly greater range. That's it.

You say that the claymore is far better because you don't need a katana to go with it, but if anything it's the axe that doesn't need the katana, being able to do everything the claymore does but faster and with less dead weight. In conclusion, the claymore isn't just a failed abortion, it's a failed abortion that does nothing the axe doesn't do better in dosh, weight, and raw DPS.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I always looked at number of swings per minute to determine how quickly something hit, as opposed to how quickly the weapon swung after mouseclick.

In terms of the former, the claymore is faster (although not as much faster as I was expecting). In terms of the latter, the axe is faster.

The claymore can kill a group of clots faster than the axe, which is why people say that it can be used instead of katana/axe pairing. I guess also it means you don't have to keep fiddling with swapping weapons. The number of times I've frantically found myself knifing a husk to death or something dumb like that...

So yea. I think for a good zerker, who took the time to get used to the claymore instead of katana/axe, it would be as good as the katana/axe for more situations.
This having been said, I still use katana/axe.

Um, the claymore strikes more times per second. The axe just seems faster because the swing is considerably faster, but the axe has downtime between swings, the claymore doesn't.

I must however remember to check up the axe vs claymore stats for suicidal, similarly to what you have done above. I'd be interested to know if the claymore actually kills faster in any situations where it matters.

Upvote 0
No, no I did not. In fact, to be thorough I did some tests on KF-Testmap6p to make sure I didn't derp, just for you. The following is 6man HoE stats of the number of swings required to kill or decap, R is for a regular attack, A for alt attack.
Spoiler!

Note that the stats are virtually identical for both weapons. Only does it really diverge with the scrake and fp, and even then only for body hp. All the trash specimens can be killed in one swing with both weapons, and for the bigger specimens (siren, husk, scrake, and FP) the HS required to kill are or nearly are the exact same. Damage wise the only definite advantage the claymore has over the axe is to be able to kill sirens and husks in a single primary attack, which is mostly rendered a moot point considering that the axe's alt attack is very nearly as fast. The claymore swings slower, is more expensive, weighs more, and is ugly. Note especially the weight, which cuts out some of the best complements for a katana+claymore loadout.

So what advantages does the claymore have? It doesn't have as strong of a movement slowdown per swing as the axe and that it has slightly greater range. That's it.

You say that the claymore is far better because you don't need a katana to go with it, but if anything it's the axe that doesn't need the katana, being able to do everything the claymore does but faster and with less dead weight. In conclusion, the claymore isn't just a failed abortion, it's a failed abortion that does nothing the axe doesn't do better in dosh, weight, and raw DPS.

I joined a game yesterday with my friend, when i got to the trader he had a katana, axe and M79 waiting.

I got those, and then i realised why the claymore is so good.
The simple fact i have one melee weapon for all my needs makes it so simple; the constant changing between katana, axe and knife really ruined the synergy and flow of my zerking.
I can say that the katana/axe combo is not significantly better than the claymore, enough to say that for constant, general use i'd much prefer a claymore.

Upvote 0