CD Burner Stopped Working

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

EvilAmericanMan

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 27, 2005
Palm Coast, FL
My CD player is able to write and I used to be able to use it just fine. But now all the sudden the burner part doesn't work, but the player itself is fine. I can see it in My Computer, and it runs CDs. None of my burning programs, though, recognize the CD drive and neither does Device Manager. Its extremely hard to get or find help for a vague problem such as this (nightmare using Google x_x) so does anyone have an idea of what happened to my CD drive? I did some process in the registry that i found on a site but it did absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Ralfst3r

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
The Netherlands
You could try using a lenscleaner, but overall I think it's just best to buy a new one.
You can buy ones at the price of milkshake these days.

Edit:
Oh it stopped recognizing in Windows. But still, get a new one ;P

Shadrach

Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2006
Elitist Prick Ski Lodge
stian.freeshell.org
Why buy a new unit when it's probably just a driver issue??

- Uninstall the device from Device Manager, then do a reboot and see if it finds it. Install drivers that came with the drive if necessary (shouldnt be as XP comes with most of them)
- Reinstall any CD-burning software (Nero or whatever you have).

oh btw, Device Manager is at: righht click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

Marquis24

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 8, 2006
Check to see what copy protection any games or programs you have use. Some are known to disable burning on cd/dvd drives. I have had this problem before.