• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cat protection system needed!

Grobut

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
I have two Maine-coon kittens, and one of them has an awfull habit.. he loves chewing on cables!

He never touches power cables (230v), what he targets are small, soft cables like USB cables (im guessing he loves chewing on the soft rubber), for this reason i've had to protect all my computers cables with a cable-eater (a hard plastic coil the cable will fit into).

Tonights casualty, as allways, is my gaming headset, he's chewed all the way through it, now i have to get the soldering iron and try to fix the mess.. and i cant use a cable eater to protect this, its too bulky and heavy (i tried with my previous headset, the added weight from the cable-eater broke it).

Anyone gone through something like this and have an idea to protect my cables? this is getting really annoying! :(

The only thing that helps really is to get a cleaning agent sprayer, fill it with water and spray your cat whenever he's chewing a cable.

Advantages: The cable chewing will be quickly associated with something unpleasant without actually harming ot hurting the cat, and without drawing connection between you and the punishment, and thus not stressing the relationship between the cat and you.

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
The only thing that helps really is to get a cleaning agent sprayer, fill it with water and spray your cat whenever he's chewing a cable.

Advantages: The cable chewing will be quickly associated with something unpleasant without actually harming ot hurting the cat, and without drawing connection between you and the punishment, and thus not stressing the relationship between the cat and you.

Here is a winner! Thats the best way to do it. I also have the cables to my headset positioned so they dont reach the ground. Making it harder for the kittens to get to it.

Upvote 0
These are all great ideas... except maybe radix's hehehh

I have a dog who likes to chew things too, and what I do is put everything away after using it.. mouse, headset I just coil up the cord and put it on top of the shelves.

I only had to lose one mouse to learn that lesson, lol.

but I like the bad flavored cord ideas
thumbsup9hv.gif

Upvote 0
Whew.. alot of soldering, hotgluing and shrink-flexing later, its finally reconnected and insulated, and working! i've never seen so many small wires in a headset before.. and the damned things where glossed, not individually insulated, what a nightmare!

Water sprayer: Done and done, i've been using it for a year now (the oldest is a about a year old, so more a teenager than a kitten.. and allready much bigger than a normal adult cat!), but its just not working as adverticed because:
1) Maine-coons are not as scared of water as most cats.
2) The bloody beasts are smart enough to know that if i cant see what they are up to, i cant spray them.. so they do it anyway when my backs turned :mad:

Tucking it away: I do that, but unlike dogs, cats are very good at jumping up on the table and chewing it anyway, they also know how to open closets! no place is safe im afraid..

Zapping them: No, just no.

Wireless headset: Ugh.. no, i still have nightmares about my last wireless headset, what a hunk of junk!

Bitter tasting cords: Now theres an idea! i'll have to try this!

Cat Gulag: Tempting, very tempting.. no :p

Behold the face of evil! the destroyer of cords! captured on mem-card two months ago:
Destroyer-of-cords.jpg

Upvote 0