• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Carpathian Crosses update

They converted my long rifle too. As far as I know they converted all in stock M95's to 8x56r. The only rifles that weren't converted were WWI bring backs.

The Nazis supplied 8x56r ammo. I have 500 rounds of 8x56r with the Nazi eagle and swastika stamped on them and the clips. They were made in 1938.

clip.jpg

An M95 clip.
box.jpg

Here is a box lid.
basecli.jpg

Here is the base of a cartridge, and the back of a clip.

Upvote 0
Yep, I also have some of that ammo and do not even own an M95...yet.
I do not plan on shooting the Nazi marked ammo as it is too rare. I will get some commercial ammo for shooting once I get my M.95. I want to get the Stutzen model with the short rear sight as those are supposed to be slightly newer non-cutdown carbines.

I have a sinking feeling that the devlopers of CC may have gotten some erroneous information regarding which rifles the Romanians used on the EF in WWII.

I can't see them using the long barrel version of the M95 in 8x50r. That would not have made sense. But stranger things have happened I guess.

Look at the Czech Legion, they used everything and anything to good effect. They used Czech, German, Russian, Austrian, Italian and even French rifles. But even they tried to standardize to some extent. But they were not a professional standing army like the Romanians were AFAIK. More like mercinaries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Romanian army's armoury was very much a mixed bag. They did not seem to have any clear policy regarding what equipment they would use and their purchasing was very haphazard. They used weapons from France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Czechoslovakia and Russia. Hell, they even made their own (Orita SMG and Malaxa carrier - although the latter was under a Renault license)

From our point of view, this is good, because it means we have plenty of options.

Upvote 0
Well the wordwar2.ro web page shows the M95 long rifle but only indicates 8mm without telling us if it's 8x50r or 8x56r.

I am betting the Romanians actually used mainly (or only) the carbine version in 8x56r.
The reason I say this is that the Austrians cut down almost all the long rifles and rechambered them to 8x56r after WWI. This is why an uncut and unconverted 8x50r long rifle is extremely rare and commands a higher price today.

Anyone know for sure? That web page didn't really help much.

I did find this with a web search and it mentions mainly the Vz24:

http://www.hat.com/Othr7/Fred01P.html

They seem to indicate that the Romanians didn't really start using the M95 rifles until after they became allies and started fighting the Germans. Is that right?

Upvote 0
Gonzo - that website is very useful and interesting - thx. More Czech weapons there.

Hmm - maybe it is a case of score one to the rivet-counters here.

Best we scrap the mod, prolly :p ;)

No, don't do that.

Im not trying to gripe mind you. It's just that I love this game so much that I want it to continue down it's intended roll as the most historically accurate and realistic WWII shooter ever made.

Now even RO:OST itself is not perfect in that regard but it is a closer than all the rest.

Upvote 0
For anyone who doesn't know. (I know you know now Nestor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItFzmiKnLzs

They also kick harder than an M44, but the surplus ammo that is available is around 200 grains versus 148. I don't shoot either M95 much because that '38 surplus is all I have. In fact they have most likely been retired until this round is loaded commercially. I may have around 500 rounds of Nazi marked ammo, but they aren't making them anymore.

Upvote 0
About the 95m model i did it a long time ago for hungarian(for my mod) because i knew during ww1 hungarian had some 95m sniper.
I've found some picture recently found new pictures of this sniper , and it seems it is a variant of the 95m only for sniper.:confused:

Does someone has more info(+picture :D) about that ?
Did hungarian use it during ww2 ?

:( sorry to hijack this thread but there are some experts here.

Upvote 0