• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Caring for raw metal...a question

PUTZ

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Baltimore, MD, USA
I know many of you own/restore firearms...and have experience with restoring and protecting the metal bits. My question is regarding my set of GunMetal raw-steel golf clubs. Under normal circumstances, they rust when wet and must be cleaned up every few weeks.

609d4217.jpg

Anyone have tips on how to preserve & protect this type of metal? Would a mineral-oil rub be sufficient?

Anyone have tips on how to preserve & protect this type of metal? Would a mineral-oil rub be sufficient?

ZOMG bare steel, why oh why would you do this!!

I deal a lot with corrosion in ships and can advise you to get a barrier in place between the steel and oxygen (Air).

If you must keep the steel bare, then after using - clean, cover in oil (even your cooking oil would do but preferably lub oil from a car or motorbike, then wrap in cling film (maybe you don

Upvote 0
Gun-oil is the answer (you can think of it as WD-40's big brother, it's both lubrication and protects from corrosion, it'll also remove existing corrosion aslong as it's not too severe, and it's a fair bit stronger than WD-40 in my experiance), spray some gun-oil on a rag and make sure it gets all over the steel bits (might want to avoid getting it on the handle, it's slick stuff!), this should prevent corrosion quite nicely, and it smells good too, like a newly cleaned firearm ;)

You'd want to do this after every game, one oiling is not going to last forever.. and if there is any existing corrosion, give it a good rub with the oil, it should come off aslong as it hasen't eaten its way into the steel.

Craig's food wrap idea may also be a very good one if you are going to store them for extended periods without useing them, but if you use them often and clean them with oil after each game, that should be enough.

Gun-oil can be purchased anywhere they sell guns (all guns, even if it's just Air-Rifles they sell, they will have gun-oil), so i have no doubt a local shop near you will have some, and there's allways the internet.

Upvote 0
Gun-oil is the answer (you can think of it as WD-40's big brother, it's both lubrication and protects from corrosion, it'll also remove existing corrosion aslong as it's not too severe, and it's a fair bit stronger than WD-40 in my experiance), spray some gun-oil on a rag and make sure it gets all over the steel bits (might want to avoid getting it on the handle, it's slick stuff!), this should prevent corrosion quite nicely, and it smells good too, like a newly cleaned firearm ;)

You'd want to do this after every game, one oiling is not going to last forever.. and if there is any existing corrosion, give it a good rub with the oil, it should come off aslong as it hasen't eaten its way into the steel.

Craig's food wrap idea may also be a very good one if you are going to store them for extended periods without useing them, but if you use them often and clean them with oil after each game, that should be enough.

Gun-oil can be purchased anywhere they sell guns (all guns, even if it's just Air-Rifles they sell, they will have gun-oil), so i have no doubt a local shop near you will have some, and there's allways the internet.

Awesome. I'll hit up the local wal-mart. :p

ZOMG bare steel, why oh why would you do this!!

Because it's sooooo soft compared to chromed or stainless steel. And if they're cared for (like I'd like to do), they'll last longer because there's no electro-plating to be worn off.

Thanks all. :)

Upvote 0
WD40 to get it all nice, wipe dry, then go get a can of fantasticplastic and spray teh mother, repeat as and when required!

Now PUTZ , I need advice on how to photograph jewelery!
Its shiny and always reflects light.
I can get round it with PS it but I would like to do better.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
CaptMarion said:
Putz- either get an orange squirt bottle of Hoppes #9 gun oil (NOT the bore solvent), or a spray-can of the Remington "Rem-Oil."

Either of those should get the job done for you.

QFT. +1 for Rem-Oil.

It's just a Golf club that needs weatherproofing, i doubt he really needs to go with a name-brand oil for that little job ;)

Rem-Oil and Hoppes may be 2-3x more expensive than the other brands ... but if you're paying more than $5.00 or so for a small-ish can, then you're getting bent over, and you're not even gonna get to use the lube you just bought.

Upvote 0
Rem-Oil and Hoppes may be 2-3x more expensive than the other brands ... but if you're paying more than $5.00 or so for a small-ish can, then you're getting bent over, and you're not even gonna get to use the lube you just bought.
But why pay the 2~3x more? if it was a firearm then it'd make perfect sense (lots of steel bits beeing violently rammed back on forth and all that, yeah, good oil is a smart thing in a gun), but this is a golf club, it has no moving parts at all, and honestly, for this little task of weatherproofing any El-cheapo gun-oil would get the job done, so why not save the money?

Upvote 0