• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Crash] Can't play multiplayer

Six_Ten

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006
aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com
I had a GeForce 9400 GT. Used to get 20-25 fps on at Medium gfx settings in multiplayer games. It was slow and low gfx, but playable. Never a crash.

A few weeks ago I installed a GeForce 640GT. At Ultra gfx settings the game looks great and runs fast. However, in RO2 multiplayer I now get to play for a minute or so, then my computer freezes up. Can't do anything except pull the plug.

I can run the game fine when I'm testing maps offline. No issues with any other games. No matter what my gfx settings, Low to Ultra, its great offline, but in multiplayer games I spawn, and within a minute or so my machine locks up.

I thought it might be power supply, so I just installed a new 600W unit today, no luck. Uninstalled the latest beta drivers for the gfx card, reverted to the latest certified version from May or so, no luck.

What can I do to fix this? I played Ostfront for hours the other night with no problem. Other than that the only game I'm interested in is RO2 multiplayer. Plus I have maps to test. I can run the SDK and game for hours on end with no problem, but I have to have multiplayer.

Last edited:
I finally got to play Kursk for a few minutes without crashing, after turning Sound from 32 down to 16 channels at Med gfx settings. Heard one stutter-sound (which usually preceeds a freeze) then it cleared up and I managed to stay in the field. Now I've set gfx back up to Ultra and will test still at 16 channel sound.

Edit:
Crashed. Trying again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried at 16 channels and Ultra: froze. Went back to Medium at 16 channels, froze again. Tried 8 channels Med, same thing. Removed the side cover from my machine and checked the fans, they're running fine, no dust, a little warm but just barely. Left the cover off and pointed a box fan at the machine, still froze.

On a positive note, my wife has just told me she's heading to the store for filet mignon and beer to help ease my frustration with this. XD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still using on-board sound?

These symptoms are exactly the same as suffered by one of our members.

Game ran fine. Upgraded GFX. Suffered from freezes.
New sound card to cure. ( was using on-board before )

I don't know. Looking in the Device Manager I see:

NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Should I disable the Realtek HD Audio? Is it possible there's a conflict with both running?

I've never installed a sound card, so those are just programs running on-board i.e. built-in sound?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know. Looking in the Device Manager I see:

NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Should I disable the Realtek HD Audio? Is it possible there's a conflict with both running?

I've never installed a sound card, so those are just programs running on-board i.e. built-in sound?

Just a shot in the Dark here....
I have a laptop with both those HD audio running so there's no conflict.
RealTek has some new audio driver out.

I uninstalled my old ones(july~20th) from my Acer Notebook(Realtek Drivers)
Installed new ones(from there site) helped with my sound, and helped settle down the Micro freezes I was having + my sound/stutter is a lot better.

Probably not the solution,, But hey worth a shot....
Good luck, hope ur prob is fixed soon,,

Upvote 0