• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Cant a tank pivot by running tracts in opposite directions??

Well i only know that the Tiger was able to do this, its called neutral steering.

The reason why a lot of Tanks can't do that is that they only got one Engine, and this makes it harder to implement (i guess you need a complex Gear System). And usually one steers with simply slowing down one Track (applying break pressure).

Upvote 0
just about every tank ever made can do it. if u look in the drive set of most of the tanks (RO made them all the way they really look) you can see that there is no stearing wheel and its just 2 handle rods (the one on the right controles the right track and same as left) push up on the rod that controles what ever track and the tank will turn (if moving) in that direction or if its not moving the tank will pivit that direction, pull down it moves back or again it pivits. push them both foward the tanks moves straigh ahead move them both back and the tank moves straigh back. thats basicly how every tank works. but in RO the tanks dont do that. Most likly cuz it would be to complicated for a player to figure out and drive the tank.

Upvote 0
neutral steering would be nice- i find i need it most in the tiger because of the slow traverse rate I have the commander traverse the gun about 30 degrees to the left or right and turn the accordingly so that when i stop the gun is facing the soon to be burning tank. If I am setup behind a knoll so that only my turret is exposed and an enemy comes up on the ridge at 12 'o clock I either move forward or back to turn which takes longer than turning on the spot and every second counts! I don

Upvote 0
AlkalineKyle said:
just about every tank ever made can do it. if u look in the drive set of most of the tanks (RO made them all the way they really look) you can see that there is no stearing wheel and its just 2 handle rods (the one on the right controles the right track and same as left) push up on the rod that controles what ever track and the tank will turn (if moving) in that direction or if its not moving the tank will pivit that direction, pull down it moves back or again it pivits. push them both foward the tanks moves straigh ahead move them both back and the tank moves straigh back. thats basicly how every tank works. but in RO the tanks dont do that. Most likly cuz it would be to complicated for a player to figure out and drive the tank.

Although i believe that indeed those levers controle the gass for the seperate tracks they don't make the tracks reverse by pulling them back. You got your gears for that.

And since tracks haven't got seperate gears for the tracks you can't put one track forward and the other backwards.

And beside the tiger tank had a steering wheel :p.

Upvote 0
AlkalineKyle said:

Those levers are for the brakes. The brake pedal goes to the same brakes, but applies both instead of just one side at a time.

Upvote 0
1. Most tanks of the period could NOT turn while completely stationary.
2. The levers do NOT allow you to run one track forwards and one back - they are brakes... you have a perfectly good throttle under your right foot!
3. The Tiger did have some ability to turn on the spot, at the cost of an expensive and complex transmission that broke down too much as a result.

The closest you can get to turning on the spot is to completely brake one track, while throttling forward. This also (pun intended) runs the risk of breaking a track - just in the same way that "high-speed" turns do - which may be why your Hetzer was stopping to turn - tracks may be a little delicate given its age!

As for turret rotation that depends on engine revs - we may well add that in at a later stage. Drawback is that you could over-heat the engine if you did it all the time!

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
Which makes me think that a neutral gear would be nice, where you can up the revs without going forward.

This would give crewed tanks another advantage, as you could only put the pedal to the medal if you had a driver.

As a disadvantage, there could be a jitter of the sights induced by the revs which would make aiming at far distances harder, and a louder engine sound, and a huge puff of smoke coming out of the exhausts...
I like that idea. A driver in neutral getting the revs up for turret speed sounds like a winner. This would hopefully make the Tiger less of a sitting duck at close range.

Upvote 0
You're right, this is called neutral steering. It takes a very advanced transmission, and a hell of a lot of power. The way it works, one track is driven in a forward direction, while the other side is driven in reverse. The effect is to cause the tank to turn on the spot. I wasn't aware the Tiger had the ability, being do heavy. The American Sturart had neutral steering ability, probaby because it was so light, and i also read somewhere that the Panther had neutral steering capabilities, I'll need to look that one up again.
Anyway...on modern tanks its not really recomended, believe it or not. It just puts too much strain on the systems.

Upvote 0
As has been stated its a 'neutral' turn. To do so you need a transmission with regenerative steering. It is done by selecting neutral and then using the 'steering' force which was normally applied to each output to slow it down (for normal steering) and using that to speed up one track and slow down the other one.
A more modern take on it is to use hydraulic pumps and motors to so the same thing. This has the advantage of allowing tighter turns at speed. This was a drawback of the merrit brown transmission which while it allowed neutral turns, only slowed the steering members down by the same amount no matter what speed the output shafts were doing. This meant that while a tank could turn tightly in a low gear (when the slow down effect was equivalent to a high percentage of the output speed), its turning radius increased as higher gears were used.
The breed of vehicles which REALLY need regenerative steering and neutral turn capability are self propelled guns as they have extremely limited traverse. The Swedish S Tank could neutral turn quicker than an equivalent tank of that era could traverse its turret.
Apologies if the explanation I have given seems abstract but it is kind of difficult to explain how regenerative steering works in so few words.........Just don't get me started on null shaft steering using variable swash plate pumps and motors....THAT is complicated.

Upvote 0