• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Cannot prone here" and general movement clumsiness

M-A

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
How about fixing/tweaking the "cannot prone here" feature?

In case you want to cover yourself you cannot count on hitting the dirt since you usually receive that ********* message and a burst of bullets in your face. The first thing to do when bullets start flying around you is to hit the dirt when receiving fire (ok usually you are dead before hitting prone key but... [ok, you usually you are even more easy target since you don't move but in many cases there are obstacles blocking the view after proning <if you really would prone>]). Even more annoying is the fact that when you plan to move somewhere sprinting and then hitting the ground you cannot count on the proning part working unless turning to various angles and constantly pressing the prone key. You should be able to prone even you don't have a meter and a half of smooth surface in front of you. In my opinion, you should be able to prone even when in front of a wall as long as there is space behind you. You should be able to count on proning.

Also the overall clumsiness in movement disturbs, although it is more of an slight annoyance than a big feature to be fixed. For example, when you run and try to climb a wall, you need to get really close to it and usually stop before climbing, otherwise it's just a hop against the surface. For example, in Spartanovka, look at the Russians who are trying to get from the town hall centre hallway to the Housing block 2 through the passage in the middle of the building. Thay usually always hop against the sandback wall and only after that get over it. Yes, I know, not very important thing to tweak but perhaps someday? Smoooothness, ya know?

Perhaps we could also get rid off the "getting-stuck-in-grenadeholes-in-infinite-position-switching-between-prone-and-duck-position-where-your-only-option-is-to-type-suicide-in-console-bug"?

Wonderful game btw.

Troop are clumsy and to be really honest if you have ever tried going prone their are a lot of places you cannot!!.

Yes, I have tried that. I can prone in front of a wall. I can prone in a grenade hole too without searching for a perfect angle for that. I can even prone in front of a tree. I hope the soldiers in RO2 would be able to do that also.

Upvote 0
I quite like the prone control in RO2, particularly when diving into artillery craters! Yes I do agree that sometimes it's a PITA when you are beside something when you make an emergency dive for cover ... then nothing happens leaving you standing there like a wally to get ventilated. Maybe some kind of automatic shuffle into a spot where you can go prone would be nice, if there is one within a metre of your current position. Being able to go prone anywhere in RO:O was a serious failing and was nothing short of hackish.

Reactions: Mike 78
Upvote 0
I quite like the prone control in RO2, particularly when diving into artillery craters!

That's the part I like also. But after getting in crouch or standing position in the crater I enjoy the prone control less. That is because I cannot count on the fact that I prone back to the bottom of the crater when I press the prone button.

Like Drecks said, what unrealistic (or even hackish) there is in proning in front of a wall or any other object? I understand it if there was another wall just behind me (like in a trench), but I don't see why you need meter and so of landing space in front of you to hit the dirt.

Try it yourself: Stand close in front of a wall. Prone. Do you need to turn 90 degrees before doing this manouver?

Upvote 0
Try it yourself: Stand close in front of a wall. Prone. Do you need to turn 90 degrees before doing this manouver?
Well, yes. Either that, or you're moving your center of mass. Humans do tend to be taller than they are wide.

Having the game attempt to adjust your center of mass for you to where it thinks you want to go prone is definitely not a better solution in a game where utilizing small pieces of cover is so important. The nearest clear spot might be behind the wall, sure, or it might be beside the wall in the open, or it might even be on the enemy's side of the wall. From a code perspective, these are all equally valid areas. So you could spend a lot of effort trying to intelligently evaluate terrain and probably still wind up with a solution that fails on a regular basis, or you could just assume that a player will quickly learn they need to not stick their face into a wall if they want to go prone.

Reactions: Nightingale
Upvote 0
Yes, I have tried that. I can prone in front of a wall. I can prone in a grenade hole too without searching for a perfect angle for that. I can even prone in front of a tree. I hope the soldiers in RO2 would be able to do that also.

Their are a lot of ways to put a tree stump or sharp rock, ants nest through your stomach, ribs etc. Its not as black and white as you think. Things are not flat like a rugby field. There are also a lot of really stupid angles to go prone on that would be absolutely silly in RL.

I'm just saying. I'm not saying that in a computer game you should not be able to go prone everywhere. Just that you can suspend your disbelief.

Last edited:
Reactions: MasacruAlex
Upvote 0
I don't agree, going prone is realistic now. In ROost you could go prone everywhere, that isn't realistic.

I like how the rep system works if you disagree with something you get - rep lol

I agree with Beast ..While it may be annoying seeing the message pop up all the time .The prone system is better than ro1's where you could lay down anywhere and your legs stuck through the wall and you could get killed.

Try in real life putting your back to a wall then going prone or sideways in a hallway its just not going to work.In game it may not be perfect but, its better than unrealistically clipping through walls.

Upvote 0
M-A said:
It depends.

We have arms, legs, head and torso. When you stand you occupy relatively small amount of space. I think that while pressing prone the game checks out if you have space in front and rear. Your camera is on top of your head, but arms and weapon need more space in order to prone and if that condition is not meet then you get the information "cannot prone here".

That's my theory.

Upvote 0
I don't agree, going prone is realistic now. In ROost you could go prone everywhere, that isn't realistic.

Please young chap, I want to hear none of this rubbish that going to the prone position, when in a bind, is unrealistic.

But no on the serious note, they should tweak it so we can prone pretty much wherever we wwant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, yes. Either that, or you're moving your center of mass. Humans do tend to be taller than they are wide.

Having the game attempt to adjust your center of mass for you to where it thinks you want to go prone is definitely not a better solution in a game where utilizing small pieces of cover is so important. (--) you could just assume that a player will quickly learn they need to not stick their face into a wall if they want to go prone.

You still can go prone in reality even there is a wall in front of you. Don't dive, throw your feet backwards and drop down. So when your nose is sticked against the wall you can prone. That's what I'm hoping would be possible in the game. When you'd press prone and there's an object in the way you'd stob in that object but still prone as you'd do for real. If my nose points out of the wall, and the back of my head was against the wall, of course then I'd dive a bit forward, not throw my legs behind. Very easy. Realistic. You don't have to be able be able to prone everywhere, like in trenches where there really is no room, you would do it where it is possible.

Their are a lot of ways to put a tree stump or sharp rock, ants nest through your stomach, ribs etc.
Hitting the ground often hurts, you might get bruises or cuts, but compared to bullet and shrapnel wounds it is the more comfortable way.

Upvote 0
I agree if your getting shot at you care much less if you are going to break something. If you go prone in a stupid area you would hate to be thrown into a fit of spasmic pain right?
I also agree that choosing a spot that is awkward to go prone is silly and the game should be able to stop you from that. You should perhaps wound yourself?? You would hate that a little worse than the current system right?

OR perhaps the game should choose an alternate position for you right?

Its hard. But the current system works well most of the time. Just choose a reasonable spot. Works for me.

Upvote 0
Orly?
planking-2.jpg

worldwide-planking02.jpg

planking.jpg

Sry heh had to put that in.., i get me coat and leave this thread with my head down :D

Upvote 0