• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Cannot launch game in build 1009, Radeon HD 4800

CrashFu

Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2014
Ohio
Launching error; always occurs (can't run game at all)

When attempting to launch game, get pre-startup game logo, then screen cuts to black, plays the "charging up" sound effect for maybe a second, and then immediately crashes to desktop, prompting the BugSplat window to come up twice along with a windows error about my display driver crashing and recovering.

After submitting BugSplat report, it directs me to a webpage indicating the error is most likely due to incomplete install and recommending I verify game cache. I do so, but still get the same error.

Running Windows 10 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X4 840 Processor with Radeon HD 4800 graphics card.

Tried to confirm that my drivers are up-to-date and it doesn't look like AMD has any new drivers for the HD 4xxx series on Windows 10. Likely relation to issue?

EDIT: Going to uninstall the beta update and make sure I can still run the game in the stable version..

Last edited:
most likely the combination of running a older gpu with a brand new operating system. i dont think amd is still making drivers for the 4000 series cards. thats most likely the main issue is a conflict with the os and the drivers. u may need to upgrade to something that come out within the last 5 years.

Upvote 0
Hahaha, I think you're right, TheUnclean. I reverted back to the pre-beta-update version and had the exact same problem. Well... Looks like I can't play KF2 at all now, unless AMD expands their Windows 10 drivers to the older series, I upgrade my hardware, or revert my OS back to Windows 7, which KF2 ran perfectly fine on.

This sucks... I feel like I've shot myself in the foot. This must also be why I haven't been able to run the KF2 SDK tools since upgrading Windows. :(

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ah-hah! Turned out all I needed to do was force the use of dx10 in the game properties. At least, that got me to the main menu without incident, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to play now.

Thanks for the help, Patros!

EDIT: Yup, it's all good now. Played for a few hours tonight with no crashing whatsoever. Game runs smooth and looks great even on this older graphics card.

Last edited:
Upvote 0