• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can you detect blood on a surplus military baynet?

Krane65

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2012
I remembered seeing those police shows where they use some special light to find where blood had been, long after it has been cleaned up. I wonder if the same could work to find if there had been blood on your surplus rifle or bayonet?

Anyone ever heard of this or tried this?

Hm, are you worried about the police finding blood on your bayonet?

CSi_Miami_sunglasses.gif

I think we found our guy.

Upvote 0
Only thing you'll most likely find is leftovers of storage grease. Make it holy ****ton of leftover grease if it came from Eastern Europe and is unissued. If it's heavily used used (and old, in other words quite trashed and worn out) field gear then there might be potential chance to find something odd, but don't count on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only thing you'll most likely find is leftovers of storage grease. Make it holy ****ton of leftover grease if it came from Eastern Europe and is unissued. If it's heavily used used (and old, in other words quite trashed and worn out) field gear then there might be potential chance to find something odd, but don't count on it.

It was definitely covered in grease.... I bet it was used very little?

Upvote 0
Oxidizing agents can give a false positive for hemoglobin... rust is one such agent.

Yep, I've heard that before. There is no true way to know for sure without sending it to a lab. The sample I took was on top of the metal, but after so many years it's probably contaminated. My belief that this is blood stems more from where this rifle was used, and the way the metal is pitted, more than the test. Here is the receiver.
receiver.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very interesting! Where was your rifle used? My rifle is in a little better shape, but mine was made in Tula during 1939. It's almost a certainty my gun has seen action... I just found out my barrel/bore has been counterbored by about a half inch. So evidently it was shot enough and used enough to have the rifling ruined at the end of the barrel...

Upvote 0
His rifle has the SAKO logo stamped on it and the SA of the Finnish Army, so if it saw combat it would likely be in the Continuation War of 1941-44. I think that's also an eagle ground off, on the receiver.

I wouldn't know how to go about tracing serials, but that is definitely a fine specimen you got there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0